ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Turkey Shotgun for Women
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:48 am 
Field Grade

I wish Syren would come out with a dedicated 12 gauge turkey semiautomatic with all the modern features. No other manufacturers make one, just the “compact” 13in lop versions, mostly in 20 g

Post subject: Re: Turkey Shotgun for Women
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:07 pm 
Diamond Grade

I understand having an appropiately sized gun, but turkey guns are aimed like rifles with generally some type of added sight like a Red dot so that eliminates some of the need for a good stock fit since your eye is no longer the rear site and instead is looking through the actual sight. I also hunt out of a blind and will use my some of my blued guns with no issue.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:44 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Bonanza wrote:
I wish Syren would come out with a dedicated 12 gauge turkey semiautomatic with all the modern features. No other manufacturers make one, just the “compact” 13in lop versions, mostly in 20 g

What isn't modern, or lacking in features about this? https://www.remington.com/shotguns/auto ... turkey-pro

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:41 pm 
Field Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
Bonanza wrote:

What isn't modern, or lacking in features about this? https://www.remington.com/shotguns/auto ... turkey-pro

Modern-yes. Designed for women-no. Yet another “compact” 13 in lop gun.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:44 pm 

Location: 35 miles from Normal, Illinois (as close to normal as I'll ever be)
What special features are you looking for that would be needed/different for women in a turkey gun?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:53 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Bonanza wrote:
RandyWakeman wrote:
Bonanza wrote:

Modern-yes. Designed for women-no. Yet another “compact” 13 in lop gun.

Adjustable LOP from 13 - 14 inches. Women come in different sizes as well. It also has adjustment shims. In a turkey gun, what exactly does "designed for women" mean to you? Just a name on the box that claims it?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:05 pm 
Field Grade

Didn’t realize the lop was that adjustable, makes more sense. That gun has nice features.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:51 pm 
Tournament Grade

The trend in turkey guns is toward lighter sub-gauges with heavier than lead shot. A short length of pull is handy for the positions you shoot turkeys from. I would suggest a compact, aluminum frame O/U with a red dot sight to anyone. Yildiz and Stevens are good ones.

I would specifically not suggest an expensive shotgun due to possible damage to the bore from dense tungsten shot.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:32 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

urbaneruralite wrote:
I would specifically not suggest an expensive shotgun due to possible damage to the bore from dense tungsten shot.

What damage is that? Tungsten actually puts less stress on a barrel than steel, primarily due to its comparatively small diameter. If a choke is steel-rated, it is tungsten rated as a matter of course. Further, in addition to the small easy-flowing pellet diameters, turkey loads are generally extremely low velocity compared to many steel loads.

Certainly, for a woman (or anyone, really) when using a heavy payload and a light gun, gas guns are far more pleasant.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:59 pm 
Tournament Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
urbaneruralite wrote:

What damage is that? Tungsten actually puts less stress on a barrel than steel, primarily due to its comparatively small diameter. If a choke is steel-rated, it is tungsten rated as a matter of course. Further, in addition to the small easy-flowing pellet diameters, turkey loads are generally extremely low velocity compared to many steel loads.

Certainly, for a woman (or anyone, really) when using a heavy payload and a light gun, gas guns are far more pleasant.

It has nothing to do with velocity or pellet size. Tungsten shot will score the barrel if it gets loose from the wad.

Heavy payloads are not necessary. Less than an ounce of small tungsten at standard velocity is plenty for gobblers at forty yards.