ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Please lead me in the right direction
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:57 pm 
Field Grade

My wife is extremely recoil sensitive and I really tried to find something that worked for her. First tried a 20 gauge with no luck. Put a youth stock on my 391. No luck. Bottom line is read Mr. Oswalds writings on shotgun fit for women. I finally bought a Syren Tempio sporting for my wife in 12 gauge. She shoots 7/8 once 1160 fps second and has no issues with recoil. I realize that that gun is more than you want to spend (was for mea also), but I believe that they have a Syren Elos sporting that you may be able to get closer to your price range. I do think Syren knows the formula....I have seen it with a few women. Good luck as a person is not likely to want to go shooting if it is painful.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:39 pm 
Field Grade

391TODT11 wrote:
My wife is extremely recoil sensitive and I really tried to find something that worked for her. First tried a 20 gauge with no luck. Put a youth stock on my 391. No luck. Bottom line is read Mr. Oswalds writings on shotgun fit for women. I finally bought a Syren Tempio sporting for my wife in 12 gauge. She shoots 7/8 once 1160 fps second and has no issues with recoil. I realize that that gun is more than you want to spend (was for mea also), but I believe that they have a Syren Elos sporting that you may be able to get closer to your price range. I do think Syren knows the formula....I have seen it with a few women. Good luck as a person is not likely to want to go shooting if it is painful.

Thank you. I have no idea if what I've read is true but I have read multiple negative threads (not here) about Elos. If I could hear different from someone on here who owns one I would probably lean in that direction.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:57 am 
Tournament Grade

MAJENKINS wrote:
dthudon wrote:
Based on the recoil sensitivity, it sounds like she needs a Syren Semi auto. My wife was in the same position. She wanted an O/U for the looks, but after trying everything under the sun I finally convinced her to try the Syren XLR5. It only took 2 shells and she was sold due to the significant recoil reduction and comfortability. Now she shoot any and every ammo she wants. With the O/Us we were even trying super low recoil rounds that were still and issue. At the end of the day, no matter how pretty the gun is, if she wont shoot it because it hurts, then it is just going to look pretty sitting in the safe. Probably all stuff you have considered but I thought I might share. Good luck.

CG no longer makes the XLR5 in a woman-sized model, having replaced it with the L4S, which is slightly lighter and under $2K NIB. Everything I've heard about the L4S has been good. Apparently the weight saving is on the front end, which makes some people happy and others not so much. I gave my sister the XLR5 for her birthday, and I'm giving me the L4S for mine, so at some point this fall I'll be able to shoot both in a side-by-side comparison. Mary Ann

So MAJ, did you ever get that Syren L4S for yourself, and if so have you had the chance to shoot it side-by-side with the Syren XLR5? If so, what, if anything, are the differences? Did you get a 28” or 30” barrel? I like both of those guns, but I was only able to shoot an XLR5 30” demo. Very nice! The dealer only had a NIB L4S, so I wasn’t able to shoot it. I shouldered it, and it seemed to be significantly lighter up front and overall than the XLR5, so that concerns me in terms of recoil and smoothness of swing as I mostly shoot trap. The forend on the L4S is narrower which fits my left hand a little bit better, but both guns fit me very well in every respect. Overall (and I know this is shallow! :P ) I think the XLR5 is a far more beautiful gun than the L4S which seems very Plain Jane by comparison. I really like the engraving on the stock, receiver and forend of the XLR5. To me it looks very classy. I do like how the forend on the L4S is not involved in holding the barrel in place. Makes for a very solid feel. Overall the L4S is a very well-balanced gun.

Now I will confess that I bought the 30” XLR5 as it fit me well, it shot so nicely and because finding a new one of them is almost impossible now. I thought I’d better grab it while I could. I am still also considering getting a L4S, perhaps a 28” barrel, for skeet since it seems to have a bit more lively swing to it due to reduced weight up front. I’m just concerned about recoil since the L4S is so light. Any excuse to justify getting another gun will do! I just want the best of all worlds! :lol:

I have a Perazzi High Tech 3 O/U which I shoot fairly well and love. Of course it is heavier than the Syrens, but it is well-balanced. After a few rounds of 1 1/2 Oz @ 1200 FPS for handicap, though, I’m beat and beat-up! I figure with a semi-auto I can shoot the heavier/faster loads for hdcp while shooting the P-gun at 16 yards all day long with the pipsqueak loads I just recently started using. I regularly get 24’s with 7/8 Oz, 1180 FPS loads (with a tight choke) @16 yds, which for me is good, so hopefully one of these days soon I can break that 25 barrier! :P. I don’t get to shoot very often these days, so I need to make it count!

I have been lurking on this site for quite awhile, and I always enjoy your informative and sometimes entertaining posts! Keep ‘em coming! BTW, giving your sis that XLR5 was mighty generous of you! Will you adopt me?

Cheers!
{hs#

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:00 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

ClaysOnlyShooter wrote:
MAJENKINS wrote:
dthudon wrote:
Based on the recoil sensitivity, it sounds like she needs a Syren Semi auto. My wife was in the same position. She wanted an O/U for the looks, but after trying everything under the sun I finally convinced her to try the Syren XLR5. It only took 2 shells and she was sold due to the significant recoil reduction and comfortability. Now she shoot any and every ammo she wants. With the O/Us we were even trying super low recoil rounds that were still and issue. At the end of the day, no matter how pretty the gun is, if she wont shoot it because it hurts, then it is just going to look pretty sitting in the safe. Probably all stuff you have considered but I thought I might share. Good luck.

CG no longer makes the XLR5 in a woman-sized model, having replaced it with the L4S, which is slightly lighter and under $2K NIB. Everything I've heard about the L4S has been good. Apparently the weight saving is on the front end, which makes some people happy and others not so much. I gave my sister the XLR5 for her birthday, and I'm giving me the L4S for mine, so at some point this fall I'll be able to shoot both in a side-by-side comparison. Mary Ann

So MAJ, did you ever get that Syren L4S for yourself, and if so have you had the chance to shoot it side-by-side with the Syren XLR5? If so, what, if anything, are the differences? Did you get a 28” or 30” barrel? I like both of those guns, but I was only able to shoot an XLR5 30” demo. Very nice! The dealer only had a NIB L4S, so I wasn’t able to shoot it. I shouldered it, and it seemed to be significantly lighter up front and overall than the XLR5, so that concerns me in terms of recoil and smoothness of swing as I mostly shoot trap. The forend on the L4S is narrower which fits my left hand a little bit better, but both guns fit me very well in every respect. Overall (and I know this is shallow! :P ) I think the XLR5 is a far more beautiful gun than the L4S which seems very Plain Jane by comparison. I really like the engraving on the stock, receiver and forend of the XLR5. To me it looks very classy. I do like how the forend on the L4S is not involved in holding the barrel in place. Makes for a very solid feel. Overall the L4S is a very well-balanced gun.

Now I will confess that I bought the 30” XLR5 as it fit me well, it shot so nicely and because finding a new one of them is almost impossible now. I thought I’d better grab it while I could. I am still also considering getting a L4S, perhaps a 28” barrel, for skeet since it seems to have a bit more lively swing to it due to reduced weight up front. I’m just concerned about recoil since the L4S is so light. Any excuse to justify getting another gun will do! I just want the best of all worlds! :lol:

I have a Perazzi High Tech 3 O/U which I shoot fairly well and love. Of course it is heavier than the Syrens, but it is well-balanced. After a few rounds of 1 1/2 Oz @ 1200 FPS for handicap, though, I’m beat and beat-up! I figure with a semi-auto I can shoot the heavier/faster loads for hdcp while shooting the P-gun at 16 yards all day long with the pipsqueak loads I just recently started using. I regularly get 24’s with 7/8 Oz, 1180 FPS loads (with a tight choke) @16 yds, which for me is good, so hopefully one of these days soon I can break that 25 barrier! :P. I don’t get to shoot very often these days, so I need to make it count!

I have been lurking on this site for quite awhile, and I always enjoy your informative and sometimes entertaining posts! Keep ‘em coming! BTW, giving your sis that XLR5 was mighty generous of you! Will you adopt me?

Cheers!
{hs#

Why thank you. My L4S is still in August Crocker's hands, waiting for me to drive to Austin to pick it up. I'm retiring on March 15th, and closing out stuff at work and saying goodbye to some folks I've grown fond of over the years has had my attention lately. I was going to go pick it up on 2/22, but the weather was ugly and I was flying to Chicago on the Monday for my retirement dinner, and decided not to make the drive. Instead I tucked up for the weekend in my retirement gift to myself, a Barcalounger, and started reading Ian Rankin's "Rebus" mystery series. I'll probably head to Austin the first of April because the week after I retire I'm heading to Bray's Plantation on the South Carolina coast for Garden & Gun magazine's "Women in the Field" sporting clay shoot, then cruising up to Cambridge, MD to take my Syren Tempio in for a pit stop. Then it will be back to Dallas where I can join all my retired compadres at spring skeet league in complaining about having to live on a fixed income (like living on a paycheck wasn't a fixed income?).

And my sister sent me a two word text for my birthday! MAJ

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:33 am 
Tournament Grade

Cheers!
{hs#[/quote]

Why thank you. My L4S is still in August Crocker's hands, waiting for me to drive to Austin to pick it up. I'm retiring on March 15th, and closing out stuff at work and saying goodbye to some folks I've grown fond of over the years has had my attention lately. I was going to go pick it up on 2/22, but the weather was ugly and I was flying to Chicago on the Monday for my retirement dinner, and decided not to make the drive. Instead I tucked up for the weekend in my retirement gift to myself, a Barcalounger, and started reading Ian Rankin's "Rebus" mystery series. I'll probably head to Austin the first of April because the week after I retire I'm heading to Bray's Plantation on the South Carolina coast for Garden & Gun magazine's "Women in the Field" sporting clay shoot, then cruising up to Cambridge, MD to take my Syren Tempio in for a pit stop. Then it will be back to Dallas where I can join all my retired compadres at spring skeet league in complaining about having to live on a fixed income (like living on a paycheck wasn't a fixed income?).

And my sister sent me a two word text for my birthday! MAJ[/quote]

For someone who is about to be retired you certainly aren’t going to let any grass grow under your feet! Have fun on all your upcoming adventures! No doubt you will take advantage of all your newly-found free time to thoroughly enjoy your shooting sports. WOOOHOO!! You’ll soon wonder how you ever found time to work. I’m surprised you didn’t just have the new gun shipped to you rather than waiting to go pick it up. I wouldn’t have that kind of patience. :lol: I just took possession of my new Syren XLR5 yesterday after that stupid agonizing California 10-day background check wait! Can’t wait to get to the range today! Then tomorrow I get to show it off to the ladies coming to our NRA Foundation sponsored Women On Target program. I teach a classroom session emphasizing and demonstrating the importance of proper gun fitment for ladies. Generally I just bring my “arsenal” of pistols for them to try, but now I will also be able to show them a great shotgun designed specifically for women and let them try it on for size. The women who attend our WOT programs almost invariably complain about being beaten up by the shotguns. Our club guns that they shoot are all man-sized guns. Now I can show them why they get bruised and how to avoid it!

I wish you the best in your retirement, and I hope you enjoy that new L4S as much as I suspect you will. Let us know what you think once you have the opportunity to do a side-by-side comparison between it and the XLR5. Should be interesting.

I Wish I could meet and shoot with you! As for your sister....Shame on her!! As someone once said (sic)... “We can choose our friends but not our relatives!” :lol:

Cheers
{hs#

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:06 am 
Presentation Grade

The “20 gauge advantage” for recoil reduction is a myth. As advised, a heavy gun that fits shooting light payloads at reduced velocity is the formula. Additionally, the action in the auto’s softens the recoil impulse for a reduced felt recoil.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:46 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

ClayOnlyShooter: Thank you. I hope to spend the first part of my retirement moving from being a dreadfully awful shooter to being a merely inadequate one. And it is worth the wait to pick the gun up from August, who is wonderful and gives concierge service on any gun he sells. He'll show me how to take it apart (it is my first semi), put it back together, clean it, and we'll go out to the Capital City gun club for me to get the first rounds through the gun. And as to relatives, we might not be able to choose them, but we are not restricted from speaking badly about them to others....MAJ

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:14 am 
Tournament Grade

MAJENKINS wrote:
ClayOnlyShooter: Thank you. I hope to spend the first part of my retirement moving from being a dreadfully awful shooter to being a merely inadequate one. And it is worth the wait to pick the gun up from August, who is wonderful and gives concierge service on any gun he sells. He'll show me how to take it apart (it is my first semi), put it back together, clean it, and we'll go out to the Capital City gun club for me to get the first rounds through the gun. And as to relatives, we might not be able to choose them, but we are not restricted from speaking badly about them to others....MAJ

Well it surely does sound like you have a great experience awaiting you when you pick up that gun! Now that is what I call service! Based on my experience with my new XLR5 I can assure you that you have a lot of fun in store for you with the L4S. Fabarm makes a beautiful high quality gun. Any semi-auto gas gun runs dirty, so they are not as easy to clean as a break open gun, but the cleanup on the Fabarm is easy-peasy. I’ve owned Beretta blue guns which are a breeze to clean, and the Fabarm is every bit as easy. You’re gonna love that gun! Good luck!

“As to relatives....we are not restricted from speaking badly about them to others.” ROTFL!! Will file that away for future use! :lol:

Cheers!
{hs#