ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Your buckshot field experience
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:10 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Hog Wild shot measures 0.6225” and made of non-toxic zinc with a weight of 206 grains.

See post 4 and 46:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthr ... ion-w-pics

LeonCarr wrote:
My goal this deer season is to do two things. Take a deer with an AR and take a deer with buckshot.

My pattern standard for buckshot is pretty high...whatever range all pellets fall inside a 9.5 inch paper plate is my maximum range. period. Several factory loads (#1, 00, 000) with the appropriate choke will do this out to 35-40 yards. Federal Flitecontrol 00 or the big stuff like Dixie Slugs Tri-Ball or Hevi-Shot Hog Wild will do this to 45-50 yards depending on the shotgun, and sometimes farther with the Tri-Ball or Hog Wild depending on the choke used.

The most important thing is to pattern test YOUR shotgun/choke/load combination. Do not assume that you can take any shotgun with any buckshot or any choke, shoot a deer at way past ethical buckshot distance, and it will die instantly and erupt like a volcano.

Know exactly what YOUR shotgun/choke/load combination will do.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:54 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

RandyWakeman wrote:
Davems wrote:
And...I notice a lot of buckshot hunters opt for a neck shot rather than lungs- like turkey hunting.

Take a look: http://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box-o-t ... -buckshot/

It isn't hard to figure out. Past 20 yards, buckshot spirals downward towards slob hunting.

Anyone who starts blabbing about 00 buckshot, 75 yards, and deer really, really has a problem. When was the last time anyone posted a 75 yard buckshot pattern? It is a joke and not a good one.

Note the example provided:

Cylinder bore shotgun.

Arguably the cheapest possible 00B ammunition choice that harkens back to pre-1963 buckshot ammo.
- Soft lead pellets
- No shot cup
- No Buffer

Thus, the worst possible example was used to argue that:
" Past 20 yards, buckshot spirals downward towards slob hunting."

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:05 am 
Tournament Grade

When I lived in Mississippi, I used a shotgun a lot, and have shot and killed well over a hundred deer using buckshot...

With factory loaded ammo, I used 3" Remington 00 and 000 with good success. Just like all guns and loads, they need to be patterned to see what load and choke each gun likes best...

My favorite buckshot load though, was a reload with 0 buck shot. This 3" load had accounted for the mass majority of my buckshot deer. I never wounded or lost a deer, and I never just shot at a deer and "hoped for the best". I've seen too many guys do that, and watch wounded deer run off to die, and find them a week or two later after the buzzards found them...

I also prefer to shoot a standing or walking deer, but would not shoot a running deer. Yes, they could be hit with a good load of buckshot, but I like to eat deer, and one that has been killed when running just doesn't taste as good!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:35 pm 
Diamond Grade

Come visit a few dog clubs here in the SC lowcountry one Saturday and you'll see first hand what buckshot will do to a deer. We kill more deer in a day than most do in 10 seasons. And yes, with buckshot too. That's not being boastful at all, that's just saying we're pretty damn good at killing them with buckshot. I usually kill at least 3 or 4 deer with buckshot every season. I've killed as many as 13 in a season with it and 75% of them were one shot kills (Yes all of the meat was eaten before that accusation is made). Those that weren't dropped with one shot were killed quickly with follow-up shots.

There are slobs with any method of hunting, so to completely bash buckshot hunting as ridiculous based on someone's "scientific youtube" study is just ignorant. Of course there are a lot of buckshot hunters that grab a gun, a box of buckshot, whatever choke is in the gun, and shoot aimlessly at any deer they see. That's just as wrong as not checking the zero on your rifle because "ole Betty Sue always aims true". I pattern my guns extensively to make sure I'm covering the vitals of a deer before I hunt. I've got a Browning Silver and a Franchi Affinity with Kick's buck kicker full chokes that will put all 15 00B pellets in a 12" circle at 40 yards. I've never in my 25 years of buckshot hunting seen a deer catch that in the neck or shoulder and run more than 30 yards.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:58 am 
Crown Grade

Quote:
I know years ago there were great "game shots" that could hit a running animal with a rifle but they might have shot at a lot of animals to get that good.

There still are such people. I know quite a few.

Most started out on rabbits being chased by dogs. Coyotes and deer are much easier to hit. The target doesn't have to be live, either. Rocks skipped across a frozen pond give instant feedback.

It isn't that hard, even with a handgun.

-Securitization
Take your pick.

Always make an even number of mistakes. One may cancel out another.

"People who enjoy meetings should not be in charge of anything." --Thomas Sowell

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:10 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

On the other hand things can happen fast:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFdjLCbm1Wg

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:47 pm 
Diamond Grade

Awesome shot RMc! There are tons of videos of people making quick kills on running deer with buckshot. I mean, they named it BUCKshot for a reason right? ;)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:32 pm 
Field Grade

Since it's hunting season, I thought we should continue this thread. My son and I have killed three deer this week with 3" 000 buckshot. My son shot two around 35 yards. Both dropped at the shot. I shot the third deer at 62 steps. The deer dropped in it's tracks but I shot it again because it's head was up. 25-35 yards is probably an average shot in the cover we hunt with the occasional poke at 50-60 across a field or road.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:03 am 
Field Grade

The whitetail deer I have killed with 12ga. 00buckshot was aimed at just behind the shoulder. I used a full choke and only took shots at distances I knew would be lethal with the pattern my gun shot. You should pattern your gun at various distances so you know how it shoots. I have not used buckshot in years but if I were to do so now it would be Dixie Slugs Tri-Ball 3" loading as I have an Ithaca DeerSlayer III with a fully rifled barrel. The Tri-ball load fires three heat treated .60 caliber 315.00 grain each balls that in a rifled barrel shoot a very tight pattern. http://www.dixieslugs.com/qa.html

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:46 pm 
Field Grade

a weed eater spins at 350 to 400 fps at tip of string this cuts flesh cleanly ... a .33 in buckshot at 60 yards passes through a deer at about 800 fps which might as well be a .33 in broad head ..my shotgun will put 12 out of 15 00 buck in a 24 in sguare which is cutting equivilant of 3 legal broadheads...yes they rarely bleed out of wounds it pools in chest cavity but anybody that says buckshot is not lethal at 60 to 70 yards has never seen deer hit by buckshot ...period

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:07 am 
Field Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
coosa wrote:
I would agree with most of the posters that you are better off to use a rifle if you can,

Let me say it one last time - I think that if you can use a rifle you should use a rifle.

You can always use a rifle. It might be a muzzleloading rifle, it might be a shotgun with a rifled barrel, but you can always use a rifled barrel.

Except where you legally can not. Just like rifles, buckshot works when used properly.

A Benelli or Beretta with a Kick’s Buck Kicker choke throws good patterns with Federal shot.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 10:34 pm 
Limited Edition

RandyWakeman wrote:
Davems wrote:
And...I notice a lot of buckshot hunters opt for a neck shot rather than lungs- like turkey hunting.

It isn't hard to figure out. Past 20 yards, buckshot spirals downward towards slob hunting.

Anyone who starts blabbing about 00 buckshot, 75 yards, and deer really, really has a problem. When was the last time anyone posted a 75 yard buckshot pattern? It is a joke and not a good one.

You don't know buckshot or field use. Here in the south where thousands of deer are take with buckshot 20 yds(60 feet) is close range. A good choke and a good buckshot load will easily kill any deer at 50 yards or more. If you haven't experienced it 100 of times you have no need to make the comment you made. Comments like yours is why the internet is full of myths.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:47 am 
Diamond Grade

The Happy Kaboomer wrote:
RandyWakeman wrote:
Davems wrote:

You don't know buckshot or field use. Here in the south where thousands of deer are take with buckshot 20 yds(60 feet) is close range. A good choke and a good buckshot load will easily kill any deer at 50 yards or more. If you haven't experienced it 100 of times you have no need to make the comment you made. Comments like yours is why the internet is full of myths.

You're wasting your keystrokes buddy. Even with the poorest example of buckshot range testing that he could find, Randy's word is law. He's like the 13th disciple even. At least he likes to think so... :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:29 pm 
Utility Grade

I’ve never been a fan. I’ve seen a lot of ppl cripple the deer. I’ve also seen a doe killed at 35 yds with 1 pellet right through the heart. I’ve always used Lightfields. 12 ga 23/4 hybrid elites. I’ve killed a ton of deer w these. 90% of the time they drop on the spot. The ones that do run have gone 50 yds max

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:36 am 
Field Grade

You say you can hit a running deer at 30 yards with a rifle ...bring it in a 15 year growth cutover with 15 foot pines ...nice 7 point a few years back broad side 30 yards ..1st shot didn't even slow down 2nd shot stumbled 3rd shot dead deer...after the kill was trying to think how I could have missed so I went to the stand and 1st shot mowed a arm size pine down 10 feet in front of me..2nd shot 80 percent of load struck same size tree 15 yards out third shot deer only ..I would put money on with a rifle you wouldn't have even touched it it's all I could do with a shotgun

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:41 pm 
Utility Grade

I've taken deer out to 35yds with a 20ga with #3 buck and with 00/000 in a 12ga out to 45yds. Bang flop....

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:28 pm 
Crown Grade

This is a debate that will go on forever. I won't call any names but it amazes me how somebody that claims to know so much about buckshot & has killed deer with everything BUT buckshot, knows so much about buckshot! I have killed deer with all the above INCLUDING buckshot. I haven't killed a buck with buckshot since last week & I shot him in the neck. Some folks on here have killed a lot more deer with buckshot than me. I can't tell you what other people have experienced, I can only attest to what I have experienced & what I think based on those experiences. I don't have to tell the experienced buckshot hunters on here, that have good judgement, anything. Most of them, I expect, know better than me. I once subscribed to the theory that buckshot range was only limited by the pattern. Buckshot loads have improved drastically since the 60's. I have loads that will produce adequate patterns out to 60 yds. & I tested all my 10 ga. loads at that range. I killed deer at that range but the loads didn't kill like I thought they should. What I should have known all along finally dawned on me. Buchshot sheds velocity & energy like a duck sheds water! It will kill further but past 40 yds., it is starting to get iffy. At 60 yds., it is unreliable. Yes, you can sometimes kill deer at those long ranges but for every one you kill you wound many! Like Lossking & others have said earlier, it is a good killer within it's effective range. I know of nothing that will kill a buck quicker or cleaner than a full load of buckshot in the heart & lung area up to at least 40 yds.. Beyond it's effective range, it is a crippler & a wounder!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:17 pm 
Limited Edition

lossking wrote:
We will just have to disagree on this one. Buckshot can be very effective when used properly, and centerfire rifles can be horrible wounders when used poorly.

True. Most people that bad mouth buckshot.......Don't have a clue or have never hunted deer with it. Here in the south running deer with dogs. Buckshot is all we use. I've killed over a 100 deer with buckshot. A shotgun that patterns buckshot really well can easily kill a running deer at 50 yards. I know from my experience and the experiences of many others.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:58 pm 
Crown Grade

One thing I would like to point out. Distance can be very deceptive. As a professional Land Surveyor, I have measured distances for a living most of my life. It can fool the best of us! I have had people get really hostile when I asked them how they knew how far the game was when they killed it. Unless you measure it, under the best case scenario, it is a good estimate. The worst case is a wild, wishful guess! Some people can pace distances fairly accurately, most can not. A pace does not equal a yard in most instances, especially over rough ground! When you pull the tape on those 60 yd. shots, quite often you find they are closer to 50 yds. & the shots you thought were 50 yards, were actually more like 40 yards!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:49 pm 
Limited Edition

SCShotgunHunter wrote:
The Happy Kaboomer wrote:
RandyWakeman wrote:
Davems wrote:

You're wasting your keystrokes buddy. Even with the poorest example of buckshot range testing that he could find, Randy's word is law. He's like the 13th disciple even. At least he likes to think so... :roll:

He's just another blow hard on this subject of which he knows nothing. I take all his post with a grain of salt........Sometimes the whole salt shaker.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next