PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 8:21 pm 
Tournament Grade

But probably old news to you Ladies.
https://www.cbsnews.com/video/calling-t ... -as-hobby/

Post subject: Re: Breaking News!
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 8:33 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Excellent short video about the rapidly increasing participation of women in the shotgun shooting sports. Thanks!

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 7:17 am 
Crown Grade

Although I don`t think it was mentioned in the piece, I would strongly suspect that most, if not all, of those ladies are members of Elizabeth Lanier`s group GRITS ( Girls Really Into Shooting ).

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 8:58 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I went to Garden & Gun's "Women In the Field" sporting clay shoot at Bray's Island Plantation in March. Great fun and a class event. Shooters at every skill level, and all had a wonderful time. G&G does a second, not woman specific, shoot in the fall that I've also been to. Equally fun. This year it is at a resort south of Atlanta. Elizabeth Darling, the publisher of G&G, is a charming Southern lady force of nature, who has made a great success of a magazine started just before the 2008 crash. If you have not read G&G, get a copy; published six times a year and a fantastic read on everything from fishing and hunting to arts and food. MAJ

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 3:52 pm 
Crown Grade

This is not to be patronizing in any way; but for years I have said that if we can get more women involved in shooting, we all benefit. The reason is that for whatever reason, when the ladies get involved, they make the arguments against guns much more muted. I practice what I preach, and as a voting member with the NRA, I always fill out my ballot by first picking the women that are running for the board.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 4:54 pm 
Crown Grade

MAJENKINS wrote:
I went to Garden & Gun's "Women In the Field" sporting clay shoot at Bray's Island Plantation in March. Great fun and a class event. Shooters at every skill level, and all had a wonderful time. G&G does a second, not woman specific, shoot in the fall that I've also been to. Equally fun. This year it is at a resort south of Atlanta. Elizabeth Darling, the publisher of G&G, is a charming Southern lady force of nature, who has made a great success of a magazine started just before the 2008 crash. If you have not read G&G, get a copy; published six times a year and a fantastic read on everything from fishing and hunting to arts and food. MAJ

Ditto, Mary Ann. G&G is a very classy magazine. Recommend it wholeheartedly.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 8:35 pm 
Tournament Grade

oyeme wrote:
This is not to be patronizing in any way; but for years I have said that if we can get more women involved in shooting, we all benefit. The reason is that for whatever reason, when the ladies get involved, they make the arguments against guns much more muted. I practice what I preach, and as a voting member with the NRA, I always fill out my ballot by first picking the women that are running for the board.

This is true. I find that shotgun sports in particular is a very good way of introducing people to firearms in an environment that is fun, friendly and most importantly has a more social aspect which many people men and women respond to well. In my experience people warm up to clays rather quickly relative to pistol or rifle shooting where the intimidation factor is much higher. I don't know much about the trend in sport shooting, but at least in hunting I know many companies and groups love to tout this statistic about women being the fastest growing group of new participants, which is true. But they also always ignore the fact that they are the fastest leaving demographic. So it would appear that the interest is there, and good progress has been made to aid women to act on that interest, but for whatever reason they don't stay.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 10:25 pm 
Tournament Grade

Tidefanatic wrote:
MAJENKINS wrote:

+1. I always turn to the 'Good Dog' stories first.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 6:17 am 
Crown Grade

rmac/md wrote:
Tidefanatic wrote:
MAJENKINS wrote:

+1. I always turn to the 'Good Dog' stories first.

I can`t read dog stories. I just can`t. Gene Hill ruined me for dog stories. I tear up before the end of the first paragraph.