Shotgun Forum banner

Gas system and lubrication question

9K views 63 replies 13 participants last post by  lt0026 
#1 ·
I have three Beretta gas guns that I really enjoy: an AL390 Silver Mallard, an AL391 Urika, and an A300 Outlander.

The 390 has been my duck gun for a couple of decades. I've always lubed the gas piston, gas cylinder, etc. with Breakfree CLP.

The gun has run flawlessly and any fouling in the gas system stays soft and wipes away easily during cleaning. I always maintained the AL391 the same way.

I picked up an A300 Outlander this summer for rainy days at the skeet club and as a back-up (or new?) duck gun. I've put a couple of hundred rounds through it at the skeet club to get acquainted with it (and I like it a lot).

I was cleaning and maintaining it in my usual way but noticed the manual says to do otherwise. Actually, the information is sort of contradictory to me. In the routine maintenance section under the heading of "Gas cylinder, piston, magazine tube", it says to clean these parts with oil, but at the end of the paragraph a special notice says they must not be lubricated. Not "should not," but "must not". Strong words...

I hate the thought of going back to dry, baked on fouling that is difficult to clean. Am I risking some kind of damage by running the gun well-lubed with CLP?

See less See more
#32 ·
fecmech said:
I kept track of the first 50K rds through my Beretta 390 running the gas system and mag tube dry. Being notoriously lazy I waited for FTF or FTE problems before cleaning. Looking at my notes the gun generally ran 2300-2600 rds trouble free before cleaning was needed. The receiver and actuating rod portion that entered the receiver were all kept lightly lubricated with Mobil 1 0w20. My Tristar G2 20ga runs better wet, go figure!

As said I run them wet and used to do som torture testing with my training or rental berettas just to see how long they would run before any trouble started. Around 2200-2500 was where I would usually stop and clean.

#33 ·
A-400s are easier to maintain. Don't own an A-300. Maybe I NEED one???

DUK I'm amazed! You gotta get one. I own one that I always do trickshooting practice with. It started out as a rental and training gun and has been abused. It's trained many, many kids to shoot. I drilled an extra gas port in it to shoot even lighter loads. I'd hate to know how many rounds it has through it or how many people have shot it. It just keeps on going. Never mind That I have to make sure folks have had a tetanus shot before they handle it. Best $550 I ever spent

#34 ·
oyeme said:
Randy, I thought you were now recommending the use of Hornady One Shot instead of CLP. Am I wrong-again? It sure would not be my first time.
No - - - One Shot wasn't around in the 1980s and it is a dry lubricant . . . you can't run it wet.

See: https://shotgunreport.com/2016/12/08/oils-for-gas-guns/

I still haven't found anything better than BreakFree CLP for keeping my gas operated Beretta 303 and 390s running. Here's why: The problem with gas guns is an accumulation of burnt-on carbon. There really isn't any lubrication problem to speak of. It's carbon buildup. In spite of what is claimed for many of the oils, none that I have found, including the dry lubes, will keep carbon from building up on the Beretta's gas piston. Nothing. Some oils claim that they "plate" the metal so that build up can't adhere, but I have not seen any success with those products in my situation. Perhaps they work great in others, but not mine.

The ONLY thing that has worked for me, and that only half well, is BreakFree CLP because it contains a SOLVENT mixed in with the lubricant and preservatives. These lubricants and preservatives seem to keep the solvent from evaporating as quickly as it normally would when applied straight, as with Hoppes #9 and Shooters Choice- both excellent pure solvents. The other oils mixed in with BreakFree CLP's solvent keep it wet for quite a while, well over 100 shots if you start pretty wet. When the solvent is kept moist, it breaks down the carbon into a liquid sludge and keeps it from adhering to th metal parts. Eventually, it dries out and the carbon hardens, but that takes some time. Squirting a bit more BreakFree CLP on the piston of a gummed up gun will always free it up enough to get you through the next bunch of shots. I certainly don't think that BreakFree CLP is the end all and be all for gas guns, but until I find something that can dissolve carbon and stay liquid as long, I'll use it.

#35 ·
Randy, let me clarify. Yes, I know One Shot is a "dry" type of lubricant. I am also aware that One Shot is fairly new and CLP predates it by a few decades. However, my point was that I thought you were NOW recommending One Shot VS CLP as shown on your website when cleaning an L4S.

#37 ·
oyeme said:
Randy, let me clarify. Yes, I know One Shot is a "dry" type of lubricant. I am also aware that One Shot is fairly new and CLP predates it by a few decades. However, my point was that I thought you were NOW recommending One Shot VS CLP as shown on your website when cleaning an L4S.
I use One Shot on my L4S's and my inertia guns. However, in the case of the pulse piston L4S Hunter-- I use nothing on the elastomer portion of the piston or the internal housing. It needs to be unlubed to work. If it was lubricated, there would not be the proper braking action. The elastomer portion acts as a wiper and is self-cleaning.

#38 ·
Well, shooting my Beretta semis wet with CLP has always worked for me. I was just concerned about that notice in my Outlander manual saying "must not".

After reading all the responses including many from guys who do the same, and with no responses warning of dire gun damage or personal physical risk, I guess I'll carry on. 8)

Thanks everyone.

#40 ·
Neanderthal said:
Let's keep arguing! I love it!
Run 'em wet!!!
I'm having a rough time with this. I'm typically the guy who frowns on someone doing something that the manufacturer specifically advises against. But in this case, I'm that someone... :oops:

#44 ·
Dr Duk said:
Didn't Beretta advertise that the Urika 2 was SELF CLEANING and there fore did not require cleaning ever??
The same company that says to run your SA dry?? :w
That's not what the Beretta guy said. He said no lubrication in the gas system run that dry. He does mention many other parts to lubricate. Watch the entire video. What is your source for Beretta stating the gun never needs to be cleaned?

#45 ·
Dr Duk said:
RandyWakeman said:
When you hear, "do not oil" . . . remember, Breakfree CLP is not gun oil.
Randy, why would a gun company say to run dry on moving metal parts???
Any idea as to their rationale?
Take your pick:

People don't read owners manuals.

Translation from Italian to American English rarely works well.

Beretta doesn't make "Beretta Genuine Gas Piston Lube" yet.

Over-lubrication is a legitimate problem. By babbling about no lube, it theoretically takes care of over-lubing.

I've cleaned as many "self-cleaning gas systems" as anyone. That's just wishful thinking.

#46 ·
lt0026 said:
Dr Duk said:
Didn't Beretta advertise that the Urika 2 was SELF CLEANING and there fore did not require cleaning ever??
The same company that says to run your SA dry?? :w
That's not what the Beretta guy said. He said no lubrication in the gas system run that dry. He does mention many other parts to lubricate. Watch the entire video. What is your source for Beretta stating the gun never needs to be cleaned?
Advertising campaign for the Urika 2, I think.

#48 ·
Check that the piston slides freely inside the gas cylinder.Carefully clean the inner side of the gas cylinder with a bronze brush sprayed with Beretta gun oil.When all combustion residues are removed, clean the inside of the gas cylinderwith a soft cloth.Carefully clean the piston and check that the piston bushing can move freely in itshousing.If necessary, also clean the exhaust valve and the magazine tube cap shaft.
But, see: https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewto ... 7&t=176788

Don't you wish the forearm cap was self-cleaning?

#50 ·
Dr Duk said:
lt0026 said:
The Urika 2 introduced the serrated gas piston. Which is supposed to help keep the piston cleaner. It has nothing to do with lubrication.
No need to lube, it was self cleaning?? {V*
The video tells you all you need to know. I don't pretend to know more than a master gunsmith at Beretta. If you know more or better than him you need to get a job at Beretta.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.