ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Looking for good multi-purpose gun. input please!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:15 pm 
Utility Grade

I am looking for a good gun to use for regular trapshooting, 5 stand and sporting clays. Possibly duck hunting down the road.
Please let me know what guns you have or have tried and what you do or do not like about them - especially from a woman's point of view.
A little history so you know what/why I'm shopping: I shoot regular trap and also hunt & cover and 5 stand with my husband (first time ever with 5 Stand this summer and even though I sucked at it it's so much fun! BTW as a side note I could also use tips on 5 stand as shooting with 2 eyes seems to be key for success with it and I've always been a one-eye shooter so ...yeh... thus the reason I sucked at it. Best I shot was a 13. Lowest was 8. lol)
Anyway back to the real reason for this post but for the longest time (well, the whole time I've been shooting... which is only 7 years) I've shot mostly with my husband's pump. A Browning BPS. And over all I really like that gun (the pump action is fun! lol) and I've done ok with it (average at Trap is right around 19. Not the best but I'll take it lol)
During 5 Stand summer League we started talking about getting me a gun that would give me the best chance at the true pairs that come during level 3 of 5 Stand since I don't have to work the action of the pump in between the 1st and 2nd shot with a semi automatic, over/under and such.
Last night I shot 22 out of 25 with my husband's buddy's over/under Browning Citori XT. Had a lot of fun shooting that many and I would definitely consider buying one but did note that it's pretty darn heavy so not sure it's "the one" plus i just started looking.
A couple days ago we went to the local retailer and I hefted a Stoeger Condor O/U (currently on sale for $300 - how do you even make a gun for that price?!) and another O/U ....a Franchi Instinct SL. Both went to my shoulder quickly and smoothly and THAT'S when I started thinking about getting a new gun that I could mount quickly and accurately and help me kill more clays during 5 Stand (apparently the other 'trick' to 5 stand is not setting up prior to calling "pull" , which is all that I ever knew having shot only regular trap up til now,.... with 5 stand I watched all the veterans with the gun down THEN they call "pull!", THEN mount the gun and pull the trigger. I want to be able to do that,... but actually kill the clay when I do! LOL

ANY HELP/ADVISE YOU CAN GIVE ME WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED!

(btw please note I am am rather new to guns so please forgive anything I typde that isn't 100% correct - however feel free to correct me on any of it too! :) )

Post subject: Re: Looking for good multi-purpose gun. input please!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:42 pm 
Tournament Grade

Check out a Browning CXS in 20 gauge....about 7 lbs....

If we want to regain the respect of the world, we should begin by announcing that children have no business expressing opinions on anything except "Do you have enough room in the toes?" -Florence King

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:55 pm 
Presentation Grade

If money is an issue,consider a Tri-star gun. either O/U or semi auto.If not an issue, go with the Brownings. 20ga will do anything a 12ga can do and with less recoil and gun weight.
As for low gun shooting, gun fit becomes important. To have the gun come to the same sight picture instinctively every time is important. It helps you forget the gun and concentrate on the target. I have found for me imagining a hole in the sky where target and the shot will bump into each other helps put the shot where the target is going to be when the shot gets there.
Let me suggest a book, "Positive Shooting" by Michel Yardley.
Good luck, have fun, and be safe!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:46 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Look at the Syren line made by Caesar Guerini and they are sized for women. The L4S, which comes in models from sporting clay to duck hunter, comes in at under $2K. I have one as well as a Syren Tempio O/U. The Fabarms-made Syren guns are good guns and less expensive than the Syren guns from the Caesar Guerini side. Have a look on the Syren website for where they are holding demonstration days. The Syren line, as well as Blaser's chick gun, the Intuition, are the only guns that fit me out of the box. No matter the price of the gun itself, if you are going to need substantial adjustments made, those adjustments need to be factored into the price. And I recommend a 12 gauge. It is the most versatile gun, and with a proper fit has minimal recoil issues, and those can be addressed with the shells you use. Good luck and good shooting. Mary Ann

Last edited by MAJENKINS on Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:11 pm 
Crown Grade

^^^^^This^^^^!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:31 pm 
Tournament Grade

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Totally agree with Mary-Ann here. Get a Syren if you can afford it. My wife won’t shoot anything else. That said, get a female specific gun. Look through the threads here, there is a ton of differences from even short LOP men’s guns that really make it worthwhile to find. I did a list of all gunmakers that make a dedicated women’s o/u gun so i’d look for that to get a sense of what’s out there.

But, it all comes down to your budget. It would be helpful to know what you are thinking as you can get anything from that $300 Condor men’s gun to top of the line women’s $15k Perazzi Elle’s and everything in between.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:48 pm 
Utility Grade

MAJENKINS wrote:
Look at the Syren line made by Caesar Guerini and they are sized for women. The L4S, which comes in modest from sporting clay to duck hunter, comes in at under $2K. I have one as well as a Syren Tempio O/u. The Fabarms-made Syren guns are good guns and less expensive than the Syren guns from the Caesar Guerini side. Have a look on the Syren website for where they are holding demonstration days. The Syren line, as well as Blaser's chick gun, the Intuition, are the only guns that fit me out of the box. No matter the price of the gun itself, if you are going to need substantial adjustments made, those adjustments need to be factored into the price. And I recommend a 12 gauge. It is the most versatile gun, and with a proper fit has minimal recoil issues, and those can be addressed with the shells you use. Good luck and good shooting. Mary Ann

Thank you ! I will check those all out - as well as the demonstration days via their website. Thanks again!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:51 pm 
Utility Grade

gentofleisure wrote:
Totally agree with Mary-Ann here. Get a Syren if you can afford it. My wife won’t shoot anything else. That said, get a female specific gun. Look through the threads here, there is a ton of differences from even short LOP men’s guns that really make it worthwhile to find. I did a list of all gunmakers that make a dedicated women’s o/u gun so i’d look for that to get a sense of what’s out there.

But, it all comes down to your budget. It would be helpful to know what you are thinking as you can get anything from that $300 Condor men’s gun to top of the line women’s $15k Perazzi Elle’s and everything in between.

thank you gentofleisure for all the suggestions. As for budget I'd like to go no more than $2k if I can help it

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:57 pm 
Utility Grade

claytbuster wrote:
If money is an issue,consider a Tri-star gun. either O/U or semi auto.If not an issue, go with the Brownings. 20ga will do anything a 12ga can do and with less recoil and gun weight.
As for low gun shooting, gun fit becomes important. To have the gun come to the same sight picture instinctively every time is important. It helps you forget the gun and concentrate on the target. I have found for me imagining a hole in the sky where target and the shot will bump into each other helps put the shot where the target is going to be when the shot gets there.
Let me suggest a book, "Positive Shooting" by Michel Yardley.
Good luck, have fun, and be safe!

Thanks for all the suggestions and also for the one for the book. I found it online through our local library system and I placed a hold so I'll have it very soon :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:38 pm 
Diamond Grade

As MAJ said a heavier 12 gage gun shooting a lighter 1 ounce load is pleasant to shoot and my wife 5’ 9” shoots a Browning Citori that has the original thick recoil pad removed and a thinner slip on pad installed to reduce the length of pull. She likes the heavy gun to soak up recoil. She was shooting a Beretta 686 field gun that was much lighter and the recoil was too much even with one ounce shells. She prefers the simplicity of an ou and does not like the two step loading process of an auto. Every turkey season we need a short premier on how to load her camo Browning silver 12 gage and work the safety. She does not like the whole auto shotgun thing much. Your size will determine what works for you gun fit wise and how much if any alterations are required. Lastly a 12 gage Browning bps is a fairly heavy gun. You may have more recoil than desired by going much lighter. If Browning’s fit you look at there O/U s.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:18 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I agree with Patently's wife as to preferring an O/U over a semi. I got my L4S because I wanted it, and I took it out to the skeet field for a trial run. I found the ejecting shell distracting me from my second shot on doubles, and considering I have the attention span of an untrained puppy (target, target, SQUIRREL!), I don't need the distraction. Plus O/Us are just simpler, easier to maintain safety, don't routinely jam or snap at your fingers, you can rest them on your foot, and they are aesthetically pleasing. Pretty goes a long way. MAJ