ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: If money no object, what's the best perazzi gun?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:13 pm 
Tournament Grade

The original question included the sentence "If money no object, what would you guys use for trap?" I'll share my thoughts. I've owned two Perazzis over the years but don't own any now.

(Flame retardant jacket on) I chose to go with and stick with Kolar. I like how I have a roll pin installed inside the receiver to prevent the safety from ever being engaged. If I put two shells in and close the gun it will fire whatever barrel the selector is set to without worries about doubling or bending parts. Kolar also doesn't have the reputation for breaking springs (vs Perazzi leaf spring models) or having ribs come unsoldered (happened to a friend's MX8 today). Kolar service is routinely done in less than a week, but have said to some that they don't recommend an "annual" until about 100K rounds are fired. I believe that it's a more durable and reliable shotgun overall.

I still think Perazzi is one of the very best guns money can buy for target shooting. Just not THE very best.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:19 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Dozens and dozens of Olympic champions must be wrong

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:05 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Actually , Kolar has a rep for horrible triggers. That's why they totally redesigned them. And yet they still have trigger problems. Very raggeddy on the 1st pull and randomly on the 2d pull , too.

I know from experience. They worked on mine several times.

Their bbl selector is better than an MX 8 Perazzi but not as good as an MX 12. The MX 12 (I have an MX 20) has the best selector on any gun I have owned.

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:42 pm 
Tournament Grade

Both of my Kolars have Stage 2 (introduced around 2007) triggers. There is no detectable creep and they consistently release at a consistent pressure. Both guns feel exactly the same to me. I don't know what more I could ask for!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:58 pm 
Limited Edition

blacktrail wrote:
The original question included the sentence "If money no object, what would you guys use for trap?" I'll share my thoughts. I've owned two Perazzis over the years but don't own any now.

(Flame retardant jacket on) I chose to go with and stick with Kolar. I like how I have a roll pin installed inside the receiver to prevent the safety from ever being engaged. If I put two shells in and close the gun it will fire whatever barrel the selector is set to without worries about doubling or bending parts. Kolar also doesn't have the reputation for breaking springs (vs Perazzi leaf spring models) or having ribs come unsoldered (happened to a friend's MX8 today). Kolar service is routinely done in less than a week, but have said to some that they don't recommend an "annual" until about 100K rounds are fired. I believe that it's a more durable and reliable shotgun overall.

I still think Perazzi is one of the very best guns money can buy for target shooting. Just not THE very best.

Blacktrail,
Valid points but I for one will point out the difference.

FEEL !

You can talk all you want about Kolar which I agree is an excellent gun but a fixed choke Perazzi is magical in feel and handling. There simply is no substitiute.

Dave

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:01 pm 
Limited Edition

If you are really looking for a lifetime gun, especially a hunting gun, get an MX28-B. These are wonderful, built to the same standards as the other Perazzis, just smaller. Mine with 30” barrels weighs spot on 6#, is a great quail and chukar gun (wild birds).

Takes awhile to get one, but every Perazzi fan needs one. It’s wonderful.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:35 am 
Field Grade

blacktrail wrote:
Both of my Kolars have Stage 2 (introduced around 2007) triggers. There is no detectable creep and they consistently release at a consistent pressure. Both guns feel exactly the same to me. I don't know what more I could ask for!

Is that the current trigger? Mechanical? thx