ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bird guns?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:45 pm 
Limited Edition

PineCreekDave,

Do you know if PolySpredR makes 2.5" shells like RST does?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:42 pm 
Presentation Grade

DeanMk,

Yes they make 2 1/2" shells, take a close look at the shell box I pictured in my last post. In the bottom left you will see 2 1/2" chamber noted on the end of the box. They have 5's, 7 1/2's, 8's and 6's all in 2 1/2" chambered shells. I use them most all the time, in my good classic American & Best German double guns. Seldom do I need the #5's.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

NRA Life Member/NRA Instructor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:53 pm 
Limited Edition

Right on.
Thanks Dave. -b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:38 pm 
Presentation Grade

DeanMk,

If you do not see the SpredR shells you want in the on line store, call the Lion Country store direct at 800-662-5202 they will set you up with what ever you need, and have the shells shipped to you at the on line cost, with the free shipping. Very good people to deal with.

Seriously good 2 1/2" Poly SpredR shells at a reasonable cost when you purchase a case or more, from Lion County Supply. They work great in my pre 13 L.C. Smith and Best J.P. Sauer double guns. Real nice bird killing patterns.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:55 pm 
Limited Edition

Right on.
Thanks again, Dave. =)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:32 pm 
Field Grade

Well my father just sent me a winny model 101 from 1965 in 12ga with mod over improved so I will try this for pheasant and quail this year and today I just found a
al-2 20ga made in 1972 like new so I will try that for dove this year as well. In the past I have gone to my 390 12ga for everything and it has never let me down.

1972 Beretta AL-2 20ga
Mossberg maverick 88 12ga
Stevens 320 security 12ga

Post subject: Bird guns?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:22 pm 
Diamond Grade

I have a couple of 101’s for the sake of the collection, but the “winny” as you call it, kicks too much for me, I have heard many say the same thing, and others say that it isn’t so, it will make a fine bird gun I’m sure ..

Last edited by trevijazz on Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:35 pm 
Limited Edition

trevijazz,

Does it have a recoil pad?
That will be the cure for your "kick" issues.
My H&R beat the livin' S*%#t out of my shoulder until I got a Limbsaver for it....now? Bring on the 3" mags!
You don't have to get as fancy as a Limbsaver (although they are amazingly effective), but if your gun doesn't have one already, it would definitely help.

Dean

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:42 pm 
Diamond Grade

DeanMk wrote:
trevijazz,

Does it have a recoil pad?
That will be the cure for your "kick" issues.
My H&R beat the livin' S*%#t out of my shoulder until I got a Limbsaver for it....now? Bring on the 3" mags!
You don't have to get as fancy as a Limbsaver (although they are amazingly effective), but if your gun doesn't have one already, it would definitely help.

Dean

It does indeed have a recoil pad, albeit it’s the original pad which is almost old enough to have become metamorphic, I don’t have them for shooting sake, so I will likely keep them original. Not sure what it is about the 101, but for me, everyone I have shot kicked. Bad config. for my physical setup I suppose.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:02 am 
Limited Edition

Fair enough.
Thank you for the timely reply.

Dean

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:20 pm 
Presentation Grade

Gentlemen,

No matter which shotgun you happen to own and use, different manufacturers shells will pattern differently and also present different felt recoil. Test the shells in your chosen gun to actually see the results. Pattern your gun at the different yardages you happen to shoot most, determine for yourself what pattern you like and how much felt recoil actually matters to you.

My Classic American & German Best bird guns work well with many different shells, that definitely pattern differently and the felt recoil is different also. I use RST & Poly SpredR loads in the Grouse woods, I also use B&P, Fiocchi and Federal shells in my more modern guns. Each shotgun is different and you can test pattern your shotguns to determine what shells work best for your individual needs.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:33 pm 
Crown Grade

I guess I might as well add my 2 cents. The best bird gun in my opinion is the one you shoot the best. The one I shoot the best somewhat depends on what I am hunting. I do best with Pop's old bird gun, a 26" Feather weight (I think that is what it is called) LC Smith but it is not a duck gun. Pop was a dynamite shot with anything but that isn't me. Mom bought him an A5 Browning one Xmas. Pop could make it rain bobwhite quail with it but I don't think I could stand in a barn & shoot it out the door. My favorite of all is my 20 ga. Elsie Pop bought for me around 1962 but for doves & quail, I do better with the 12. I am a leftie & when I was learning to shoot, there were no left handed jamomatics. I have some 14 SXS, DT shotguns in 10, 12, & 20 ga. not including 1 SXS rifle. I will never hunt with any other type of shotgun. The most expensive is a sidelock Merkel but it doesn't work better than my Elsies. I also have Berettaes & others

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:12 pm 
Presentation Grade

Geometric,

Glad you like your L.C. Smith double guns, I am more than fond of them also, and have a nice collection. I have another SXS double gun you might like to try, it's a German Best J.P. Sauer pre war 16 gauge built in 1898 on a 20 gauge frame.

If you like your L.C. Smith guns, you will love this little gun, downs Grouse, Woodcock and Quail exceedingly well, feels just like my L.C. Smith double guns, smooth swinging well balanced and carries like my L.C. Smith guns also. Has Krupp Barrels like my pre 1913 Elsies's, just something for you to think about. Merry Christmas!

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

1889 J.P. Sauer 16 gauge Best Grouse Gun, on a 20 gauge frame. - You will love it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:04 pm 
Crown Grade

There is no doubt I would love that gun. It looks a lot like a Smith. Trouble is, I already have more guns than I can justify. (or afford) The retail on my Merkel was 10 G when it was made but I got it for half price as NOS. It is bored F&M, which is what I wanted. So far I have used it mostly for pheasant & sharptail grouse. When I need more open patterns, I shoot reloads with PC POST wads. I don't shoot factory shells much. I have other guns that fill the cracks & have choke tubes.
Thank you for your reply & Merry Christmas to you also!

geometric

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:29 pm 
Presentation Grade

Geometric,

A Man can never have enough great double guns, Bamboo Fly Rods or incredible Ryman Grouse Dogs.

All the best,
Pine Creek/Dave
Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:42 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Gorgeous!

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:42 pm 
Crown Grade

I didn't say I wouldn't like to have more. I just have a limited supply of money! Oh yea & a wife!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:48 pm 
Diamond Grade

geometric wrote:
I didn't say I wouldn't like to have more. I just have a limited supply of money! Oh yea & a wife!

I hear you Geo, we all a limited supply of money,
For some of us , including me,the limit is just less. I was averaging a gun purchase every couple months for awhile there, my wife told me I was not allowed to purchase any more guns. She didn’t clarify what she meant by “more” so I agreed and have not bought anymore than 6 a year. I’m a man of my word ! They are not all expensive guns, but I’m a sucker for an oddball or a “deal”.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 6:07 pm 
Crown Grade

I agree, but when your biggest problem is deciding which one you want to shoot, maybe you can manage with what you have. Especially if your blue water fishing boat needs new electronics!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:54 pm 
Presentation Grade

geometric,

Having other hobbies and responsibilities does get in the way of investing in a larger gun collection. I have an old home I am trying to sell that is keeping me from the purchase of a pre war antique J.P Sauer 16 gauge drilling gun that I want to own. I understand your situation totally. I also just purchased a new Ryman Setter puppy, from Wyssfiresidesetters. A man can only do so much, you just have to prioritize. Having a nice gun collection already, and with the loss to old age of some of my Grouse dogs, the priority became another prize gun dog, even two, the gun was put on hold. To me bird hunting without a serious Grouse dog is not really hunting at all. So we contracted with Clearcut Kennels in WI also, and have taken possession of a nice Gordon Grouse dog puppy to run as a mixed brace with our new Ryman Setter puppy.

Pine Creek Heston our male Ryman Setter at age 8 & Pine Creek Shadow our new female Gordon Setter puppy.

A man can never have enough great Grouse dogs, fine guns or Bamboo Fly Rods!

Pine Creek/Dave
Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers

Can't wait to get my new female Ryman Setter puppy from Wyssfiresidesetters.

Maybe it will be another Orange Belton like my Daisy, I miss her every day.

There is nothing like the magic of a Ryman Setter Grouse Dog.

Pine Creek Ryman Daisy - Top shelf Ryman Grouse Dog.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next