Shotgun Forum banner

feedback on Syren Elos N2 Sporting

19K views 33 replies 8 participants last post by  MAJENKINS 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, I am a 71 year old male who has been shooting skeet for 2 years and my wife, daughter & maybe 10 year old granddaughter seem to be getting interested.
Has anyone been using the Syren Elos N2 Sporting? I have a Blaser F3 myself with 12, 20 & 28 gauge barrels and it would be convenient if they had the Ladies Blaser so they could borrow my sub-gauge barrels but the Blaser is triple the price of the Syrens.
If anyone has experience feedback would be appreciated.
thanks
flexible

#2 ·
I am trading in my L4S semi-auto this year to buy the Elos N2 Sporting. I shot it at the CG/Syren booth at the big sporting clay show in San Antonio last October; I really like the gun and it is my 2020 item of lust. I also own a Blaser F16 Intuition (as well as a Syren Tempio) and quite like it. You mention that you are buying the "Ladies Blaser," but if it is the Intuition it is not triple the price of a Syren; in fact, it is comparable to the price of a Syren Tempio.

But if you are willing to shell out the price of an F3 for the lucky women in your family to share, why don't you do this, buy your wife and daughter each an Elos N2, which would collectively be less than an F3 and only slightly more than an F16. That way the gun can be fitted specifically to each of them rather than them having to make do with a gun that doesn't fit. And as for your ten year old granddaughter, why not start her off on a soft shooting used semi-auto, and then buy her a sweet sweet O/U when she is a little older? MAJ

#4 ·
Sorry about the Blaser confusion, I was looking at the ladies Blaser F3, about $9k.
Thanks for the advice it makes a lot of sense, I'm in NJ and Griffin & Howe had a Syren demo months ago - I should have gone. I also passed up on a youth model Remington 1100 in 20 gauge for about $400 - would have been great for my granddaughter.
thanks again
flexible.

#5 ·
flexible said:
Sorry about the Blaser confusion, I was looking at the ladies Blaser F3, about $9k.
Thanks for the advice it makes a lot of sense, I'm in NJ and Griffin & Howe had a Syren demo months ago - I should have gone. I also passed up on a youth model Remington 1100 in 20 gauge for about $400 - would have been great for my granddaughter.
thanks again
flexible.
You are close enough to make an appointment and take a family trip down to Cambridge, MD to do a hands-on with all the Syren models. The people at CG/Syren/Fabarms are wonderful folks, and will spend time with your women explaining the guns on offer and answering their questions. Also, if you check the Syren website, it has a calendar of the events the Syren rep will be attending. I plan on seeing Lynne Green here in Dallas on Thursday at the Dallas Safari Club convention. And if you ever want to see something that is absolutely Texas over-the-top in the best way possible, go to a Dallas Safari Club convention. MAJ

#6 ·
oyeme said:
MAJENKINS:
Are you becoming the Imelda Marcos of women shooters! LOL
More like "Candide," out looking for the best of all possible worlds. I confess that I buy about one gun a year, although retirement realities might limit that. But when a gun comes in, one goes out. I got rid of my last sub-gauge gun last year for the L4S, and currently in shotguns I have only 12 gauges all 28 inch, of which there are three. First is the Syren Tempio, which is probably the shotgun love of my life, second is the Blaser F16 Intuition field model, and third is the Syren/Fabarms L4S, which I have shot once, deciding that a semi-auto was not for me. Since the Blaser is basically a copy of the Syren Tempio, I have reached the height of laziness in that I shoot the Syren for skeet and the Blaser for sporting clays; that way I don't have to change those pesky chokes. I plan on the L4S going to a good home this year and replacing it with the Elos N2. Between paying the boot on the Elos, sending puppy off to retriever training, and replenishing shells, that will pretty much eat up my "fun stuff" capital expenditure budget for the year. MAJ

#7 ·
MAJENKINS said:
oyeme said:
MAJENKINS:
Are you becoming the Imelda Marcos of women shooters! LOL
More like "Candide," out looking for the best of all possible worlds. I confess that I buy about one gun a year, although retirement realities might limit that. But when a gun comes in, one goes out. I got rid of my last sub-gauge gun last year for the L4S, and currently in shotguns I have only 12 gauges all 28 inch, of which there are three. First is the Syren Tempio, which is probably the shotgun love of my life, second is the Blaser F16 Intuition field model, and third is the Syren/Fabarms L4S, which I have shot once, deciding that a semi-auto was not for me. Since the Blaser is basically a copy of the Syren Tempio, I have reached the height of laziness in that I shoot the Syren for skeet and the Blaser for sporting clays; that way I don't have to change those pesky chokes. I plan on the L4S going to a good home this year and replacing it with the Elos N2. Between paying the boot on the Elos, sending puppy off to retriever training, and replenishing shells, that will pretty much eat up my "fun stuff" capital expenditure budget for the year. MAJ
Mary Ann, if this post is any indication, you are flat living the good life!! :lol:

#9 ·
The only thing I miss about going to work is the paycheck! Seriously, retirement is wonderful; I sleep better, worry less, and enjoy life more, knowing I don't have to get up on Monday for another grind at the same old/same old. My only worry is a stock market crash since I live in the post-defined benefit pension world. MAJ

#10 ·
MAJENKINS said:
I have reached the height of laziness in that I shoot the Syren for skeet and the Blaser for sporting clays; that way I don't have to change those pesky chokes.
Be sure to loosen those chokes periodically so that the deposits that blow by the threads do not lock the chokes in the barrels. It happens. That usually requires a visit to the gunsmith or taking chances on damaging something yourself.
I wet my chokes with Hoppes and screw them into place. That helps to clean and lubricate the threads.
If you are aware of all this, then sorry to bother.
Have a Happy New Year!!

#11 ·
Curly N said:
MAJENKINS said:
I have reached the height of laziness in that I shoot the Syren for skeet and the Blaser for sporting clays; that way I don't have to change those pesky chokes.
Be sure to loosen those chokes periodically so that the deposits that blow by the threads do not lock the chokes in the barrels. It happens. That usually requires a visit to the gunsmith or taking chances on damaging something yourself.
I wet my chokes with Hoppes and screw them into place. That helps to clean and lubricate the threads.
If you are aware of all this, then sorry to bother.
Have a Happy New Year!!
Thanks Curley, it never hurts to be reminded, and a Happy New Year back at you. My guns are stored with the chokes loosed, about two turns each, and I loosen them the minute I finish shooting. I learned this from Chuck at Ray's Hardware & Sporting Goods who told me the story about his son-in-law who never cleaned his chokes and his gun is now permanently chocked. I also saw my friend Hugh's Berertta semi have to be put in a vise and an adjustable wrench used to take the chock off, chock was ruined but the barrel was ok. Hugh became a committed choke cleaner after that. Me, I'm pretty obsessive about cleaning my guns and chokes (the kind of graphite choke grease), it's very zen and I like the smell of Hoppe's and Klenzoil. MAJ

#12 ·
My wife purchased the Syren Elos N2 Sporting a few months ago. She has only put a couple hundred rounds through it, but so far she loves it. Everyone (her dad, brother, etc...) was telling her a 12 gauge was too big for her. She is 5' 1'' and thin. However, it is very soft shooting and the recoil doesn't bother her at all.

I have shot it, and while it doesn't fit me, I can understand why she likes it so much. I was (not so subtlety) pushing her towards the Syren L4S, but she really wanted an over under. I'm glad she went with the Elos N2 as I don't think she could be happier.

In fact, I like it so much that when I decide I "need" a new sporting gun, the Fabarm Elos N2 Sporting will be near the top for consideration.

#14 ·
Flexible, thanks for letting us know!

Ryan: I did the gauge progression over the years, starting with a 28, then to a 20, then to a 12. I found the 12 gauge actually shoots softer than the 20 as the greater versatility in shell selection and the additional weight of the gun really cut down on felt recoil. I now shoot 1 oz shells that are under 1200 fps. MAJ

#15 ·
MAJENKINS said:
The only thing I miss about going to work is the paycheck! Seriously, retirement is wonderful; I sleep better, worry less, and enjoy life more, knowing I don't have to get up on Monday for another grind at the same old/same old. My only worry is a stock market crash since I live in the post-defined benefit pension world. MAJ
So many of us are in the same boat even with a potion of our income from a defined-benefit plan. I decided about 15 months ago to exit most equities and focus on income, something I had never done before. I converted 40% of our holdings to immediate annuities paying out about 7.4% per year. I caught the short-lived peak in bond interest rates and converted another 40% to long maturity corporate issues averaging about 5.25% and lasting longer than I will. The remaining 20% I put into 11 different very high dividend ETFs averaging about 6% overall. Despite the big run up in equities since then which I have largely missed out on, I am completely happy with what I have now. It is as close to worry free as I think I can get while still paying out a livable income. Anyway we can hope.

#18 ·
MAJENKINS said:

Ryan: I did the gauge progression over the years, starting with a 28, then to a 20, then to a 12. I found the 12 gauge actually shoots softer than the 20 as the greater versatility in shell selection and the additional weight of the gun really cut down on felt recoil. I now shoot 1 oz shells that are under 1200 fps. MAJ
Makes sense. My wife uses Winchester AA 1 oz. 1180 fps loads. With the weight of the gun, there is very little (felt) recoil. The only complaint is from my pocket book :)

My father-in-law refused to believe my wife (his daughter) was able to shoot a 12 gauge and argued with her even after she bought it and had been shooting with it. We finally had an opportunity to let him shoot it. While he wouldn't admit he was wrong, he at least stopped arguing about it :D

#19 ·
Ryan Vance said:
MAJENKINS said:

Makes sense. My wife uses Winchester AA 1 oz. 1180 fps loads. With the weight of the gun, there is very little (felt) recoil. The only complaint is from my pocket book :)

My father-in-law refused to believe my wife (his daughter) was able to shoot a 12 gauge and argued with her even after she bought it and had been shooting with it. We finally had an opportunity to let him shoot it. While he wouldn't admit he was wrong, he at least stopped arguing about it :D
You don't have to buy the high priced spread in order to get the same low recoil. There are many budget brands that offer a 1 oz load that travels at 1200 fps or less. True Shot Gun Club sells that particular load in the Rio Elite brand for $47.66 a case. Sure they charge for shipping, but in Texas I get them delivered for a total around $60.00 a case. IIRC there is no tax either. So a pretty good deal. Remington Gun Clubs shells can often be found in that loading too. Gander has them for $49.99 a case routinely with free shipping. Gander does collect tax, but it is still a smoking deal.

#20 ·
rpenmanparker said:
Ryan Vance said:
MAJENKINS said:

You don't have to buy the high priced spread in order to get the same low recoil. There are many budget brands that offer a 1 oz load that travels at 1200 fps or less. True Shot Gun Club sells that particular load in the Rio Elite brand for $47.66 a case. Sure they charge for shipping, but in Texas I get them delivered for a total around $60.00 a case. IIRC there is no tax either. So a pretty good deal. Remington Gun Clubs shells can often be found in that loading too. Gander has them for $49.99 a case routinely with free shipping. Gander does collect tax, but it is still a smoking deal.
Driving to Texas from Illinois may be an easier option than buying ammunition in the state of IL.

#22 ·
Ryan Vance said:
rpenmanparker said:
Ryan Vance said:
p

Driving to Texas from Illinois may be an easier option than buying ammunition in the state of IL.[/quote]
How far could it be? Besides you get to load up on barbecue. But seriously, how is buying ammo in Oklahoma or Arkansas? Those would be closer, no? Or what about Indiana?

#23 ·
blackandgold said:
I'm sorry ladies, our crazy Uncle got out of the sporting forum. I hope he hasn't been any trouble. He is mostly harmless. Come on Uncle Rpenmanparker, I hear they are having pudding for dessert today. Let's leave these nice people alone and go get some pudding. :mrgreen:
I like the barbecue idea better. And there is nothing crazy about that.

#24 ·
blackandgold said:
rpenmanparker said:
blackandgold said:
I'm sorry ladies, our crazy Uncle got out of the sporting forum. I hope he hasn't been any trouble. He is mostly harmless. Come on Uncle Rpenmanparker, I hear they are having pudding for dessert today. Let's leave these nice people alone and go get some pudding. :mrgreen:
I like the barbecue idea better. And there is nothing crazy about that.
Anything that is soft on your teeth. :mrgreen:
You try to hide it, but you have had a good upbringing.

#25 ·
The Syren Elos N2; I sure would like to review this gun on this thread. I want one and I want to trade in my shot-once Syren L4S as part of the deal. I reached out to August Crocker (the god of all things CG and Syren and an all round good guy) on NOVEMBER 2nd and he hasn't been able to lay hands on one for me, and has no idea when he is going to get one. It would be helpful if CG would give some idea of lag time of new model deliveries on all lines, not just Syren. As to Syren the new model delays are really, really long. Syren is no longer the only chick game in town, and I just can't see a new woman shooter being willing to sit around 6+ months for a gun when there are now other options available. MAJ

PS: In response to oyeme below. August is a full line dealer for CG/Fabarms/Syren, I bought the L4S, which is a Fabarms product, from him. It just puzzles me how Syren inflates a balloon of enthusiasm for a new product and they sits back and lets the air leak out of it through non-availability of product. It may well be that it is not an issue for CG globally as they may be selling all the guns they have the capacity to make.

#26 ·
From past discussions with a FABARM dealer, it seems that the company will not automatically grant a Syren dealer that line of guns to sell. Seems kind of weird to me but then I think many of the gun companies are hide bound by previous selling methods.

It seems to me and has already been suggested to CG that a simple automated inventory/warehouse system that can only be accessed by licensed dealers would give them a much more responsive method to fill orders and provide status on future orders. Basically a website of product availability for dealers only to access.

You could also eliminate the antiquated distributor/state representative system currently used because "it is the way we have always done it". Lots of savings by eliminating all those "middle men" and better response for the dealers and their customers. Too bad one of the gun companies doesn't implement something like that. It would surely improve their bottom line.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.