ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Browning Citori Fixed Bore to Choke Tube modification?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:28 pm 
Utility Grade

Do you have any experience cutting a smooth bore for choke tubes on a Browning Citori in 12ga? If a Citori is full/modified choke will it have enough meat in the barrel to accept threads? What brand chokes would you consider if you did this? Could it accept Invectors?
Thanks for your help!

Post subject: Re: Browning Citori Fixed Bore to Choke Tube modification?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:36 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I know Briley can do it and do a fine job. They did a BSS for me and another SxS with their thinwall system. I don't know if anyone else that I would trust like Mike Orlen has the tooling to do that.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:40 pm 
Utility Grade

That's good advice, thanks. I also learned today that post 2000 or thereabout barrels have a chrome finish and can't be cut for chokes. I'll look into Briley.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:00 pm 
Crown Grade

groq wrote:
That's good advice, thanks. I also learned today that post 2000 or thereabout barrels have a chrome finish and can't be cut for chokes. I'll look into Briley.

That’s interesting. I wonder why the chrome can’t be cut. I wouldn’t have thought so. It is just a thin plating. The cutting tools should certainly be able to handle that as compared to 4140 steel. Maybe what is meant that you can’t cut the barrel for chokes without losing the plating. But even so, the newly cut area could be replated at the end.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:35 pm 
Crown Grade

groq wrote:

You have a post 2000 year fixed choke Citori?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:27 pm 
Diamond Grade

I wonder what the economics are of selling your gun and buying a Citori with factory choke tubes

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:28 pm 
Diamond Grade

Rooster booster wrote:
groq wrote:

You have a post 2000 year fixed choke Citori?

I am eagerly awaiting the answer to Roosters question myself.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:52 pm 
Utility Grade

The one I'm looking at turns out to be an 1985 with fixed chokes, not post 2000. Smith just made comment that if it has Chrome Barrel it can't be drilled, probably because it would have to be replated. Because I haven't seen the gun in person and the guy on the other line doesn't know chrome from cro-moly I asked the Smith when they started chroming the barrel. He said "only on the newer guns" so I asked if it was before 2000 that would be an older gun? He said yes. So I'm using that arbitrarily to determine chrome date. Sorry for any confusion there...
Price was $85 a barrel for tapping for choke tubes on the '85 citori.