Shotgun Forum banner

Re-assembly of my PC Red Plastic Powder Baffle

2K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  tdxm 
#1 ·
My Red PC plastic powder baffle came apart yesterday while shaking out some retained powder. I now have the main tube-body, a spring, and 2 plastic sleeves. I am not sure how the parts go back together. I do recognize the thicker bottom tapered sleeve that rides on the charge bar and know the spring goes above that but not sure how the second thinner non-tapered plastic sleeve goes in. Does anyone have a diagram, picture, or description on how they fit together?

#2 ·
I suspect that if it has come apart once, it will be a frequent repeater.
But in the interest of enlightenment, here is a photo of one just as it came apart. It does look like that it might go back together and stay, maybe. I will tell you that they are easier to get apart than back together. You have to assemble the spring over the straight sleeve . Insert the spring and sleeve into the body. Align the sleeve so that it goes into the smallest part of the bore with the spring fully compressed. Put a hook up through the baffle to hold that spring fully compressed. Then slip the tapered sleeve into place. Then release the spring pressure.

#3 ·
Thank you very much Curly. Your picture and advice worked great.
Will treat it gently in future but if need be will just replace it.
I might try a hot paper clip or old small flathead screwdriver to put a few small stab crimps on the end of the body first if it comes to that.
SOAG {hs#

#8 ·
You and I think alike. It does spin freely around. I was not sure how it was assembled until I found this thread, but thinking it might unscrew, I tried that, spinning it around, and then blowing it out.

It still sticks in the up position. If I tap with moderate force I can get the snout to extend, but try to push it up and down like it is suppose to operate and it sticks up.

I then tried wd-40 for awhile and blew that out, still sticks up. Wish I could just buy another one if I can't fix this one.

#9 ·
I think that I took apart the one in the picture by pushing down the sliding sleeve slightly, about 1/8-1/4" and then pushing the end of the sleeve sideways allowing the retaining ridge on the sleeve to start out of the main body showing a gap between the outer sleeve and the inner sleeve. Stick a thin screwdriver in that gap and pry the sleeve out of the housing.
Check the parts including the spring for trash or burrs that cause binding in the bore.
Try to not throw the pieces all over the room during either operation or from a fit of pique.

#11 ·
Curly N said:
I think that I took apart the one in the picture by pushing down the sliding sleeve slightly, about 1/8-1/4" and then pushing the end of the sleeve sideways allowing the retaining ridge on the sleeve to start out of the main body showing a gap between the outer sleeve and the inner sleeve. Stick a thin screwdriver in that gap and pry the sleeve out of the housing.
Check the parts including the spring for trash or burrs that cause binding in the bore.
Try to not throw the pieces all over the room during either operation or from a fit of pique.
Just took one apart ^^^^^^ thats how I did it,piece of cake really.

Steve

#12 ·
Well mine came apart just fine too. No obvious obstructions. Just putting the spring and its sleeve back in and trying to make it go in and out with my finger, it gets stuck and still will not move correctly. Tried sanding it down with fine grit and then silicon spray. It still gets stuck and the spring will not push it out like it should.

I have another red baffle that does work just fine that I'm comparing it to. I'm thinking I need to get a new/stronger spring.

#13 ·
Is this a new baffle?? It could have what is refereed to as a "fit and function" issue from the manufacture. Thats a case where the parts are made to spec but dont function. It can occur when one part is molded to the small side of its spec and its mating part is molded to the large side.
I am telling you this because I doubt if its the spring. In this case the spring does not get alot of work and stress on the coils to wear it out. Once correctly seated against the bar it does not move.

Steve

#14 ·
Its an old baffle, it never did function very well compared to the other one I have, both bought at the same time.

Should I keep sanding until it operates properly and forget trying to get a new spring?

Right now it will not seat correctly against the bar, the snout gets pushed up and sticks up.

#16 ·
Well I finally had time today to spend about 30 minutes sanding and it works great now. The inner section where the spring sleeve compressed into was sanded until it would not stick and the spring easily pushed it out.

I also sanded the outside of the snout to more easily slide thru the metal MEC cutout that the powder bottle screws into. It was tight and would stick there also.

Thanks for the suggestion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.