ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SBE3 Turkey Performance
PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:23 pm 
Field Grade

Anyone have any experience with, or an opinion about the Super Black Eagle 3 Turkey Performance shotgun?

Post subject: Re: SBE3 Turkey Performance
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:41 am 
Crown Grade

I have a SBE2 and a M2 20ga both set up as designated turkey guns. I shoot reloads if either tss or hw15. The 12 likes a .655 Indian ck choke the 20, a .555 Indian ck. The SBE3 should be a great performer on turkeys.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:14 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

carnivore wrote:
or an opinion about the Super Black Eagle 3 Turkey Performance shotgun?

At $3,099 MSRP it qualifies as a nutty, screaming rip-off.

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:50 am 
Crown Grade

carnivore wrote:
Anyone have any experience with, or an opinion about the Super Black Eagle 3 Turkey Performance shotgun?

I`ve about decided that a 2X4 with the right choke and a dialed in optic can be at least a passable turkey gun. I`m sure that model of SBE 3 is no exception. Can you get a gun that`s far better than passable as a turkey gun for far less? No question.

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

Post subject: SBE3 Turkey Performance
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:43 pm 
Presentation Grade

For a dedicated turkey gun that will only be shot a handful of times each year I cannot see spending that kind of money. Maybe your bank account is bottomless though.
I came across a screaming deal on a Winchester SXP extreme defender model that takes choke tubes and has a full pistol grip stock. I put an inexpensive red dot on it and it works perfectly for this purpose. I’ve got right at $200 in it total!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:24 pm 
Crown Grade

MTmag wrote:
For a dedicated turkey gun that will only be shot a handful of times each year I cannot see spending that kind of money. Maybe your bank account is bottomless though.
I came across a screaming deal on a Winchester SXP extreme defender model that takes choke tubes and has a full pistol grip stock. I put an inexpensive red dot on it and it works perfectly for this purpose. I’ve got right at $200 in it total!

I hear you. Bought my 870 Super Mag Turkey with red dot, second hand, $300 out the door. Thing is a tank of a gun.

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:37 pm 
Field Grade

Turkinator wrote:
I have a SBE2 and a M2 20ga both set up as designated turkey guns. I shoot reloads if either tss or hw15. The 12 likes a .655 Indian ck choke the 20, a .555 Indian ck. The SBE3 should be a great performer on turkeys.

Thanks for the constructive input; much appreciated.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:47 pm 
Field Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
carnivore wrote:
or an opinion about the Super Black Eagle 3 Turkey Performance shotgun?

At $3,099 MSRP it qualifies as a nutty, screaming rip-off.

Thanks for your dispassionate input.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:19 pm 
Tournament Grade

I've been hunting turkey near 50 years now, it amazes me what some need for hunting "thunder chickens".....All you need is a good 12GA, a good choke, a decent ammo and the most important thing, SKILL.

Please understand I'm not knocking your choice of gun, shoot what ya like. I've been using a Benelli Nova 12GA for a number of years, it took a walk last season out of my truck........this season I replaced it with a new Nova 12GA in bottomland, Carson's choke tube, I like the near 8 lb. weight, for the sum of $600 you have a gun that will take any bird you come up against if you do your part.

If you have the coins for the SBE 3, go for it and have fun.........life is short!!

Shoot what you like, like what you shoot, it's that simple!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:42 pm 
Crown Grade

I will agree that the gun choice is probably the least important thing to successful turkey hunting. I happen to shoot a Benelli M2 20ga, a gift from a great friend. Quality ammunition is somewhat more important, although nothing will ever take the place of skill and experience. Spending time in the woods is vital to being a successful turkey hunter..

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:02 pm 
Crown Grade

If I were recommending a dedicated turkey gun, I would ask first if you are going to shoot tss or another tungsten heavyweight shot.if not, then definitely go with a 12ga. Whatever action you are comfortable with will work fine. Shoot premium ammunition! And lastly, I would recommend a red dot / reflex sight , I use the Burris FF3 on all my turkey guns.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:24 pm 
Tournament Grade

Can't say much about the SBE3 Turkey Performance, I shoot a Monte and a Nova ,my son has a SBE3 field gun, camo version, traded in a Browning new style A5 for it. He has two season's on it, loves the gun, so it's used for all his hunting. Not sure of the constriction of his turkey choke, all I can say it's a Jeb's.

Flannel…..the fabric of old men

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:14 am 
Diamond Grade

Nice guns, a bit over priced in my opinion...........if you want it, get it, you only have to please yourself!

"shoot what ya like, like what ya shoot".....it's that simple!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:13 am 
Field Grade

I used a SBE III on a few hunts this past spring. Great gun, light and points great for me.
Combined it with Hevi-18 TSS turkey shells from Hevishot and took a huge gobbler at 64 steps. The bird never moved an inch once he hit the ground. It impressive to say the least from both the shells and the shotgun. They made me look like a much better turkey hunter than I am.