ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Non-Toxic Shot
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:58 am 
Tournament Grade

Good Morning

Recently, my daughter has shown in interest in shotgun sports and hunting...this has gotten me back into shotgun related activities after several years. No private land for our use near our home, so we spend most of our time in Conservation Areas. After reading some regulations, I noticed non-toxic shot is required at several of these locations.

Based on my recall, this meant steel or bismuth......but it seems there are a few more choices these days. I wondered if anyone could give me the "dummy" version of non-toxic shot as it relates to upland bird hunting. We'd be hunting dove and quail most of the time....though we also crow hunt when time allows (and chase rabbits a bit).

I think my biggest question is this....steel seems the most economical, is steel suitable for our mentioned purposes at ranges inside 30 yds?

2nd biggest question.....is steel ok to shoot out of older shotguns (we have a 73' Superposed)

Thanks
Joe

Post subject: Re: Non-Toxic Shot
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:09 am 
Tournament Grade

Well......3 minutes after posting this, I came across an article by Randy Wakeman, "How nice is Nice Shot".......I think this answered my questions. And ultimately, I'm not interested in the potential for damage, so I think a lead alternative other than steel is what I'll look into.

J

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:19 am 
Diamond Grade

Steel will likely damage your older Superposed. Kent is selling Bismuth again and it has pretty good distribution. You may want to consider that.

https://sportingclassicsdaily.com/kent- ... -shotguns/

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:35 pm 
Crown Grade

I agree with the above. Bismuth is good (or steel if you want to risk it) at 30 yds. Nice shot is great but it is a reloading proposition. Tungsten matrix is great but I don't think it is on the market any longer. Both are a little denser than bismuth but at 30 yds. it doesn't matter & bismuth is cheaper. There are other tungsten iron products but then you are right back to where you were with steel, they are hard shot types. Randy says he thinks next year is going to be "the year of the bismuth wars". Federal & Hevi Shot are both said to be offering bismuth & likely others have it or will have it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:32 pm 
Field Grade

You will want to try the Hevishot Bismuth in either the Waterfowl or Upland depending on what you might be hunting both are exceptional. They are far superior to any steel or lead offerings an great for older shotguns. I used the Hevishot Bismuth Waterfowl this past duck season and was blown away at how much energy they retained at extended range shots. Also, they were super pattern wise out of my Beretta a400 Plus 12 gauge.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:19 am 
Diamond Grade

I'll suggest a different route...

1) Use the superposed where and when you can shoot lead shot.

2) Get her a newer 20ga that can handle steel and shoot economical steel loads. An O/U, SxS, pump or semi-auto (her preference) that can handle 3-inch loads and has choke tubes is a very versatile upland gun.

You can go with the more expensive non toxic loads if you like; but for high-volume shooting like dove, quail, or crow, steel is definitely the most economical shot choice.

Winchester's Xpert line of game and target loads are often available for ~$7/25 round box. For the species you mentioned and out to about 30 yards, #7 or #6 steel through an IC choke would be good.

Since she has shown an interest, get her out shooting some clays and birds and have fun!

Good luck!