ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Remington 870.....what do I buy???
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:22 am 
Utility Grade

Hey everyone,being my first post on SGW. I just bought a used Rem 870 express. It came with the fully rifled cantilever barrel. After A 12 year break from Deer hunting, I decided I'm ready to get back into it. I've never owned a shotgun, when I hunted before, I always borrowed one from my cousin, and I never had to worry about what barrel was on it. Now, I know it's made for sabot slugs, and that's what I'm used to shooting anyway.

My question is this, I want to be able to turkey hunt, shoot trap, hunt small game, and also shoot 00 buck for home defense. Is there a single barrel that I can shoot all of the above, and only have to change the choke for each application? Could someone please set me up with a link to the correct barrel? If I have to buy more than one barrel to be able to accommodate the above applications, I would prefer to omit the 00 buck option. I don't necessarily need it for defense, I have plenty other guns for that.

What single barrel and chokes should I get? I checked out the Remongton website, but didn't seem to find the info I needed.

Thanks for looking.
TONY!

Post subject: Re: Remington 870.....what do I buy???
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:40 am 
Presentation Grade

You need to buy a 26" or 28" 870 Express barrel. Lots of them have been made and I believe Remington sells new ones. If you watch the Classifieds here for Pump action shotguns, The barrels pop up fairly often. There is a difference between an 870 Express barrel and a 870 Wingmaster. One is cost. Wingmasters being more expensive. Other differences, The express has a different Magazine cap and is thicker than the wingmaster. A 3" wingmaster barrel will work on an express. But a 3" express barrel will not work on a wingmaster. All express barrels have Remchoke, So buying choke tubes is simple.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:29 am 
Tournament Grade

https://www.opticsplanet.com/remington- ... lsrc=aw.ds

The 870 is the most popular pump shotgun ever made. So parts are not an issue. You want to get the standard Express model barrel that is usually issued with the 870 Express model. You can get it directly from Remington or other shotgun parts suppliers like Brownell, Midway USA etc. With the right choke tubes that one barrel will handle all the types of shooting you indicated. As to choke tubes for the kinds of shooting you indicated, Imp Cyl, Mod and Full would be sufficient to cover all those types of shooting situations. You can also get them from Remington, Brownell or Midway.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:17 am 
Utility Grade

baltz526 wrote:
You need to buy a 26" or 28" 870 Express barrel. Lots of them have been made and I believe Remington sells new ones. If you watch the Classifieds here for Pump action shotguns, The barrels pop up fairly often. There is a difference between an 870 Express barrel and a 870 Wingmaster. One is cost. Wingmasters being more expensive. Other differences, The express has a different Magazine cap and is thicker than the wingmaster. A 3" wingmaster barrel will work on an express. But a 3" express barrel will not work on a wingmaster. All express barrels have Remchoke, So buying choke tubes is simple.

[email protected] will check to out thanks once again!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:18 am 
Utility Grade

DoublesForever wrote:
https://www.opticsplanet.com/remington-shotgun-barrels.html?gclsrc=aw.ds&gclid=Cj0KCQiA9orxBRD0ARIsAK9JDxTvBCG8MWqKv-RB_x3GpgfoaudLnHoX9MVnTa98tBm9SYugzXfQj4AaAjEoEALw_wcB&_iv_gclsrc=aw.ds

The 870 is the most popular pump shotgun ever made. So parts are not an issue. You want to get the standard Express model barrel that is usually issued with the 870 Express model. You can get it directly from Remington or other shotgun parts suppliers like Brownell, Midway USA etc. With the right choke tubes that one barrel will handle all the types of shooting you indicated. As to choke tubes for the kinds of shooting you indicated, Imp Cyl, Mod and Full would be sufficient to cover all those types of shooting situations. You can also get them from Remington, Brownell or Midway.

Thanks for the feedback
It's appreciated.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:41 pm 
Limited Edition

I would buy a used 870 Express barrel, but here is another option:

CDNN SPORTS - REMINGTON 870 12GA 28 CUSTOM BARREL TARGET SPORTS - GUN PARTS
https://www.cdnnsports.com/remington-87 ... iPdEFNMEzQ

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:03 pm 
Field Grade

Another source: https://www.corsonsbarrels.com/

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:15 pm 
Crown Grade

Excellent advice on the barrel selection. If you`re going to turkey hunt, you may want to look at a specialized turkey choke, of which there are a multitude on the market. My primary turkey gun is an 870 Super Mag Special Purpose Turkey. My backup gun is an 870 Express. Both shoot great patterns with a Primos Jellyhead .660 with Hevi Shot-13 #6. Whatever you choose, do yourself and the turkeys a favor and spend time on a pattern board.

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:30 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Tide, do you shoot 3½" turkey loads in your 870 Super Mag?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:35 am 
Crown Grade

lossking wrote:

No, 3". I have a desire to keep my teeth and eyeballs in my head! Not only that, at my self-imposed range limitations ( 40 yards and in ) there`s not a turkey on the planet that a 3" shell won`t dirt nap. A slip on Limbsaver made my 870 much easier to shoot.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:09 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Tidefanatic wrote:
lossking wrote:

No, 3". I have a desire to keep my teeth and eyeballs in my head! Not only that, at my self-imposed range limitations ( 40 yards and in ) there`s not a turkey on the planet that a 3" shell won`t dirt nap. A slip on Limbsaver made my 870 much easier to shoot.

:lol: :lol: :lol: I heard that and won't be touching off any 3½" shells in a fixed breech gun either. However, I do shoot 3½" in my 7¾ lb. SX2 because it's gas operated and not that bad for a shot or two. It patterns Winchester XR Hi-Density #6 very well and gives me 50 yd. capability if I need it. With my other two turkey guns, the limit is 40 yds.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:21 pm 
Crown Grade

With all the things you want to do with your shotgun, getting one additional shotgun barrel would probably do it, but wouldn't be optimal. Especially the home defense part. I hate the thought of trying to maneuver an 870 with a 26" or 28" barrel around my house trying to fend off a bad guy. If you want to do that, you really need an 18" home defense barrel. So the optimum set-up would require 3 barrels. The one for deer, the one for other types of hunting, and the one for home defense.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:39 pm 
Crown Grade

lossking wrote:
Tidefanatic wrote:
lossking wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: I heard that and won't be touching off any 3½" shells in a fixed breech gun either. However, I do shoot 3½" in my 7¾ lb. SX2 because it's gas operated and not that bad for a shot or two. It patterns Winchester XR Hi-Density #6 very well and gives me 50 yd. capability if I need it. With my other two turkey guns, the limit is 40 yds.

Out of my 870, through a .660 Jellyhead, Winchester Longbeard XR # 6 is a great lead load and I wouldn`t hesitate to use them. My primary, though, is Hevi-13, 2oz. #6. I probably have enough of those to last the remainder of my turkey hunting career. Obviously, a gas gun is a different story. My 870 kicked the snot out of me the first time I shot it and I`ve not been one to be recoil sensitive.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:43 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Tidefanatic wrote:
Out of my 870, through a .660 Jellyhead, Winchester Longbeard XR # 6 is a great lead load and I wouldn`t hesitate to use them. My primary, though, is Hevi-13, 2oz. #6. I probably have enough of those to last the remainder of my turkey hunting career. Obviously, a gas gun is a different story. My 870 kicked the snot out of me the first time I shot it and I`ve not been one to be recoil sensitive.

I haven't tried Winchester Longbeard XR and have heard good things about it, but would be concerned about the energy of #6 lead at 50 yds. I do have a supply of the now discontinued 3½" Winchester Xtended Range Hi-Density #6. With a Briley .675" turkey choke, my SX2 will put 182 in the 10" at 40, so I'm comfortable shooting at 50 if I have to.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:04 pm 
Crown Grade

lossking wrote:
Tidefanatic wrote:

I haven't tried Winchester Longbeard XR and have heard good things about it, but would be concerned about the energy of #6 lead at 50 yds. I do have a supply of the now discontinued 3½" Winchester Xtended Range Hi-Density #6. With a Briley .675" turkey choke, my SX2 will put 182 in the 10" at 40, so I'm comfortable shooting at 50 if I have to.

Well, the energy at 50 yards with #6 shot might well be a concern. I don`t worry about it too much since I don`t shoot that far. If I can`t get him inside 40, he`ll be talking to the hens the next morning. To tell the truth, I hold my marksmanship in relatively low regard, even with an optic, and am in mortal fear of crippling one of those magnificent creatures. Would positively ruin my season. That`s just me however. No criticism of others, although I can`t see 60-70 yard shots regardless of gun and load.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:45 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Tidefanatic wrote:
Well, the energy at 50 yards with #6 shot might well be a concern. I don`t worry about it too much since I don`t shoot that far. If I can`t get him inside 40, he`ll be talking to the hens the next morning. To tell the truth, I hold my marksmanship in relatively low regard, even with an optic, and am in mortal fear of crippling one of those magnificent creatures. Would positively ruin my season. That`s just me however. No criticism of others, although I can`t see 60-70 yard shots regardless of gun and load.

I totally agree with you on the 60-70 yd shots. I'll do 50 with the gun/choke/load combo mentioned if I absolutely have to, but much prefer to let them come within surefire range. Even at that I've missed several up close over the years, and try not to let them get within 25-30 yds. I've lost only one from shooting too far and should have known better that time. So far as I could tell, none of those birds was wounded, thankfully, and all of the misses were clean. The wild turkey gobbler is, indeed, magnificent. {hs#