ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 686 extractor/ejector issue
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:40 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have a 2002 build 686 20ga, this is a special edition gun that was never fired until recently so the round count is under 50 in total. I took it hunting a few days ago and while it functioned flawlessly as it should in regards to firing, opening/closing, safety function, etc. I did have issues with both barrels ejecting unfired shells. The like new condition and low round count should negate the need for replacement of the extractor/ejector springs due to wear.

I took the ejectors apart and cleaned them along with the channels they slide in, and the spring and detent as well, there was no grease or residue buildup present. I lubed everything up and put it back together twice and now the top barrel is the only barrel that is ejecting a live shell upon opening the breech. That's progress but I would like for both barrels to function properly. So what do I do from here, should I remove the springs and blow compressed air in that recess in case there is something obstructing the springs travel? It doesn't appear that the detent and spring are sitting further out so I don't believe there to be a foreign object in there but who knows. The cocking levers on the forend function as they should and have no buildup or gunk present so I don't think it's an issue there either.

While this isn't a huge issue, it is rather annoying to have a live shell pop out of the gun each time I open the breech to make it safe while transporting to another point/covey or moving off of a false alarm point. Any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Here are a few pics from the guns first hunt earlier this week.

Post subject: Re: 686 extractor/ejector issue
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:42 pm 
Limited Edition

I would pull the stock and thoroughly clean/relube the action - including the ejector rods (soak receiver if necessary). You could also look for burrs on the ejectors and rails; but my guess is that the ejector rods in the receiver are gummed up with 18yr old grease

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:39 pm 
Limited Edition

I guess I'm kinda confused as to what is/is not happening, but the 686 normally lifts live rounds and ejects empties.
If the action is ejecting live rounds the ejector springs must really be stout...if that's the case, you can cut coils to weaken the push.
Might not be what you are asking about...if not, sorry.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:54 pm 
Tournament Grade

28ga. wrote:
I guess I'm kinda confused as to what is/is not happening, but the 686 normally lifts live rounds and ejects empties.
If the action is ejecting live rounds the ejector springs must really be stout...if that's the case, you can cut coils to weaken the push.
Might not be what you are asking about...if not, sorry.

Yes, this is what it is happening, it is ejecting live rounds. It was doing it on both barrels prior to cleaning and lubing the ejectors/extractors but now it is only doing it on the top barrel. It shouldn't need the springs trimmed as it is set from the factory to work properly. I guess I am going to have to try cleaning it again and then possibly remove the stock and see if anything is gummed up from 18 years of factory grease in there.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:07 pm 
Crown Grade

Check the forearm levers and make sure they move. Also make sure they have little to no side play.

The ejector tips ride on the forearm levers. The compression of the hammer springs controls how the forearm levers move when the gun is opened. If the hammer springs have to be compressed the ejector are held from opening until the bottom bbls clears the receiver, then either or both ejector trip and eject the hull. If the hammer springs are not being compressed the forearm levers move as the cocking rod has no resistance and the ejector lift as the gun is opened.

Also possible the heads of the ejector are sticking. I used a hard Arkansas stone and just eased all the sharp edges of the ejector heads.

One of Many

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:53 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Here is another vote for removing the buttstock and soaking the receiver innards in mineral spirits for about 20 minutes. Then, remove from the solvent and with the receiver still somewhat wet, assemble the barrels and forend to the gun (don't need the buttstock) and work the action open/close several times.

Also dryfire the gun several times while doing this. Then take the barrels and forend off and soak the receiver another 10 minutes in the mineral spirits. Finally, remove the receiver and allow it to dry. Once dry, lubricate the moving parts inside the receiver lightly with a lightweight oil and then reassemble. That should do the trick, IMO.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:24 am 
Tournament Grade

I appreciate the suggestions fellas. Looks like I need to get a set of those thin English flat heads to disassemble this thing properly. Any specific suggestion on what to soak the action in?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:14 pm 
Limited Edition

Neutral Mineral Spirits.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:34 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Tex68W wrote:
I appreciate the suggestions fellas. Looks like I need to get a set of those thin English flat heads to disassemble this thing properly. Any specific suggestion on what to soak the action in?

Uh, I'm not certain what type wrench or screwdriver is needed to remove the buttstock on a 686, but I'm pretty sure it's not some "thin English flat head". You shouldn't need to remove anything other than the buttstock in my opinion.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:28 pm 
Field Grade

6mm T-handle Hex key, or, a 6mm Hex Bit Socket 3/8" drive.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:27 pm 
Tournament Grade

I was referencing the screws for the action and top lever should I strip it down that far.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:59 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Tex68W wrote:
I was referencing the screws for the action and top lever should I strip it down that far.

I wouldn't. I don't think it will be necessary.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:05 pm 
Tournament Grade

I soaked it, lubed everything and put it back together. Still having issues with the top barrel ejecting live shells. The bottom of the extractor/ejector for that barrel has this slight jagged edge/burr to it, could this be the culprit? I'm not sure how that would have come to look like that when this gun is practically brand new and has probably never been disassembled before myself doing it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:27 pm 
Crown Grade

If you take out the ejector springs and work the ejector in its groove, is it smooth or rough and sticky?

I'd take a hard arkansas stone and break the sharp edges on the head of the ejector (not where the shells rim sits).

If you run a stone on the surfaces of the ejector does that rough area show contact? I.e. is there raised metal there that can interfere with ejector operation?

Electors are hardened steel. If that rough area has raised metal causing it to bind you'll have to work it down with a stone.

One of Many

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:56 am 
Tournament Grade

John H wrote:
If you take out the ejector springs and work the ejector in its groove, is it smooth or rough and sticky?

I'd take a hard arkansas stone and break the sharp edges on the head of the ejector (not where the shells rim sits).

If you run a stone on the surfaces of the ejector does that rough area show contact? I.e. is there raised metal there that can interfere with ejector operation?

Electors are hardened steel. If that rough area has raised metal causing it to bind you'll have to work it down with a stone.

The ejector in question (top barrel/left side) did feel a little sticky/rough upon full compression in the channel, this is how I discovered that slight burr/jagged edge to begin with. I don't see any other imperfections or burrs in the channel on the barrels or anywhere else for that matter. I've started massaging that edge a little, but I might have to find a better stone. If I can't get it to function properly after this I'll likely have Cole's fix it when I send it in for a wood set fit later this year.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:45 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

It sounds to me like the ejector for the top barrel is not cocking. The way to find out is simple. With the gun empty (unloaded), simply break it open fully (which should cock both ejectors). Then close the gun. Then open the gun again without dryfiring or anything else.

If the top ejector is out (rearward) farther than the bottom one, then it's proof positive that the top ejector is not cocking or not remaining in the cocked position as it should.

EDIT: Disregard my previous edit comment.

Last edited by Ulysses on Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:04 am 
Tournament Grade

Each time I open the breech without firing a shell the top ejector pops out and clicks while the bottom one stays fixed. To me this means it is getting recocked each time it is opened regardless of whether or not that barrel was fired. I’ll see if I can do a one handed video.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:46 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Tex68W wrote:
Each time I open the breech without firing a shell the top ejector pops out and clicks while the bottom one stays fixed. To me this means it is getting recocked each time it is opened regardless of whether or not that barrel was fired. I’ll see if I can do a one handed video.

OK. That tells us that the top ejector is getting cocked, but it simply isn't staying cocked when it should. I believe this would be considered as a "timing" issue and the timing of the ejector needs adjusted. This work is above my pay grade, and I suggest you send it to a good gunsmith to do.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:49 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Tex,

I'm not quite ready to give up on this yet. :D Bear with me a little while longer. :D

OK, here's a simple test I want you to do. With the gun empty/unloaded, I want you to FULLY open the gun and then close it without dryfiring. Now remove the forend and the barrels.

Now look down into the bottom corners of the open receiver and see the two long cylindrical cocking rods (one in each corner) that go back into the rear part of the action. Now take a small nail or punch of some kind and push in on the end of each rod. Each rod should move rearward about 1/4" to 3/8" under slight spring pressure, and then the rod should move back out to its forward position as soon as you stop pushing on it.

Try this and tell me if your gun works like this.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:24 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

In the test I just described above, I'm thinking that the cocking rod for the left/upper barrel may be "frozen" in place and won't move back and forth with just a slight push from a nail or punch. If that's the case, then I think that rod is the problem... or whatever it is that's causing that rod not to move. I could be wrong, but try the test and let us know.