ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: 686 extractor/ejector issue
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:27 pm 
Field Grade

Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:35 pm
Posts: 85
Location: Kentucky - Go Cats
If all else fails, send it to Jim at Colegun. He did a great job on mine.




Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 686 extractor/ejector issue
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:14 pm 
Tournament Grade

Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:19 pm
Posts: 251
Ulysses wrote:
In the test I just described above, I'm thinking that the cocking rod for the left/upper barrel may be "frozen" in place and won't move back and forth with just a slight push from a nail or punch. If that's the case, then I think that rod is the problem... or whatever it is that's causing that rod not to move. I could be wrong, but try the test and let us know.



Test attempted and both rods move in with little pressure and spring back out quickly and freely and do not stick or hesitate at all. Thoughts?

Here is a video of what it is doing. As you can see the bottom barrel ejector is simply lifting as the breech opens while the top barrels ejector remains down and then suddenly springs open right at the end as the barrels are fully hinged open.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 686 extractor/ejector issue
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:09 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2003 3:37 pm
Posts: 19410
Tex68W wrote:
Ulysses wrote:
In the test I just described above, I'm thinking that the cocking rod for the left/upper barrel may be "frozen" in place and won't move back and forth with just a slight push from a nail or punch. If that's the case, then I think that rod is the problem... or whatever it is that's causing that rod not to move. I could be wrong, but try the test and let us know.



Test attempted and both rods move in with little pressure and spring back out quickly and freely and do not stick or hesitate at all. Thoughts?

Here is a video of what it is doing. As you can see the bottom barrel ejector is simply lifting as the breech opens while the top barrels ejector remains down and then suddenly springs open right at the end as the barrels are fully hinged open.

Image



OK, then the cocking rods are working as they should. This tells me that there's nothing wrong inside the receiver. So, the problem is somewhere in the ejector itself or the ejector lever in the forend piece.

With the forend off the gun, wiggle the ejector lever on each side of the forend and see if they both move freely and move the same amount. If they're the same, then it would seem that the problem is in the ejector itself or the pin/spring that pushes it out.

Since a good cleaning fixed the ejector for the bottom barrel, then perhaps the top barrel ejector just needs a little more cleaning to get it to work smoothly. Or, as John H suggested, maybe some stoning of the rough edges will do the job.

I would also like to pass along a YouTube video that Mr Turkey22 was kind enough to send to me. It shows how the ejector/lever relationship works when the gun is opened. Also shows how to remove the ejectors for cleaning for those who don't know how. Take a look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XciwLrpMVdQ

_________________
Please post For Sale items in the proper Classified section.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 686 extractor/ejector issue
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:08 pm 
Tournament Grade

Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:19 pm
Posts: 251
The cocking lever is catching the ejector on the top barrel and it doesn't release until the breech is fully open. The bottom barrel ejector moves freely allowing the ejector arm to slip past the cocking lever so that it simply lifts the unfired shell instead of ejecting it. I worked on the rough spot on the ejector but as I move the ejector within its channel I can still feel a slight pause in its movement as I compress it forward by hand.

I believe that it is hanging up on the round knuckle on the ejector that slides along the action, or at least that's how it appears to me. I just can't understand how this can already be an issue with less than 50 shells through it. I thought I could get it to work myself but maybe it just needs a new ejector arm on that barrel, wild stuff.

Image

Bottom barrel working as it should.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 686 extractor/ejector issue
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:59 pm 
Crown Grade

Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:12 am
Posts: 5610
Snap the gun open very quickly and see what happens. Sounds like a timing issue. Was this pre owned when you purchased? You may be able to save the ejectors, but will probably need new ones. Send it to Coles.


Last edited by lt0026 on Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 686 extractor/ejector issue
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:02 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2003 3:37 pm
Posts: 19410
Tex68W wrote:
The cocking lever is catching the ejector on the top barrel and it doesn't release until the breech is fully open. The bottom barrel ejector moves freely allowing the ejector arm to slip past the cocking lever so that it simply lifts the unfired shell instead of ejecting it. I worked on the rough spot on the ejector but as I move the ejector within its channel I can still feel a slight pause in its movement as I compress it forward by hand.

I believe that it is hanging up on the round knuckle on the ejector that slides along the action, or at least that's how it appears to me. I just can't understand how this can already be an issue with less than 50 shells through it. I thought I could get it to work myself but maybe it just needs a new ejector arm on that barrel, wild stuff.

Image

Bottom barrel working as it should.

Image


I've watched those videos about 6 times each. Here are my thoughts.

First, I would continue to stone any sharp edges on the top ejector and make sure the ejector and the spring and spring recess are completely clean and well lubricated. Continue this until the top ejector slides as smoothly as the bottom ejector.

If the problem still persists, here is what I would do if it were MY gun. I would file a small amount off the bottom edge of the top ejector where it is hanging up on the ejector lever. The object is to get the top ejector to slide over the ejector lever when the top barrel hasn't been fired. Don't file too much or the ejector may not eject when the top barrel HAS been fired.

Worst case scenario (as I see it) is that you file too much and the top ejector won't eject an empty case even after the top barrel has been fired. Big deal. So you have to pick the empty out of the gun. That's not nearly as bad as having the gun eject your live rounds into the dirt every time you open the gun. And, if you do mess up the top ejector, you can always buy another one.

If you do the work slowly and carefully, I think it will fix the problem, but I cannot offer any guarantee. It's your gun and it's up to you. If you decide not to do the work, I assume you would have to send the gun off to someone to fix. Just the cost of the shipping will likely be more than the cost of ordering a new ejector to install yourself. Besides, the new ejector may need a bit of filing to fit it anyway. So, it's up to you, but I know what I would do. Good luck. :D

_________________
Please post For Sale items in the proper Classified section.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 686 extractor/ejector issue
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:42 pm 
Tournament Grade

Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:19 pm
Posts: 251
lt0026 wrote:
Snap the gun open very quickly and see what happens. Sounds like a timing issue. Was this pre owned when you purchased? You may be able to save the ejectors, but will probably need new ones. Send it to Coles.


I do and it hangs as its opening and then clicks as the ejector springs rearward ejecting the unfired shell. I was showing it slowly so you could see the difference between the correctly working bottom barrel ejector and the top one with the issue. Also, I was filming with one hand and working the hinge of the gun with the other.

It had one box of shells through it in the first 17 years of its existence. I put another box through it while hunting this past week. So it's had give or take 40-60 shells through it, ever.


Last edited by Tex68W on Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 686 extractor/ejector issue
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:45 pm 
Tournament Grade

Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:19 pm
Posts: 251
Ulysses wrote:
Tex68W wrote:
The cocking lever is catching the ejector on the top barrel and it doesn't release until the breech is fully open. The bottom barrel ejector moves freely allowing the ejector arm to slip past the cocking lever so that it simply lifts the unfired shell instead of ejecting it. I worked on the rough spot on the ejector but as I move the ejector within its channel I can still feel a slight pause in its movement as I compress it forward by hand.

I believe that it is hanging up on the round knuckle on the ejector that slides along the action, or at least that's how it appears to me. I just can't understand how this can already be an issue with less than 50 shells through it. I thought I could get it to work myself but maybe it just needs a new ejector arm on that barrel, wild stuff.

Image

Bottom barrel working as it should.

Image


I've watched those videos about 6 times each. Here are my thoughts.

First, I would continue to stone any sharp edges on the top ejector and make sure the ejector and the spring and spring recess are completely clean and well lubricated. Continue this until the top ejector slides as smoothly as the bottom ejector.

If the problem still persists, here is what I would do if it were MY gun. I would file a small amount off the bottom edge of the top ejector where it is hanging up on the ejector lever. The object is to get the top ejector to slide over the ejector lever when the top barrel hasn't been fired. Don't file too much or the ejector may not eject when the top barrel HAS been fired.

Worst case scenario (as I see it) is that you file too much and the top ejector won't eject an empty case even after the top barrel has been fired. Big deal. So you have to pick the empty out of the gun. That's not nearly as bad as having the gun eject your live rounds into the dirt every time you open the gun. And, if you do mess up the top ejector, you can always buy another one.

If you do the work slowly and carefully, I think it will fix the problem, but I cannot offer any guarantee. It's your gun and it's up to you. If you decide not to do the work, I assume you would have to send the gun off to someone to fix. Just the cost of the shipping will likely be more than the cost of ordering a new ejector to install yourself. Besides, the new ejector may need a bit of filing to fit it anyway. So, it's up to you, but I know what I would do. Good luck. :D


It is headed to Coles after the season is over anyway (March 15th) to get fitted for a new woodset so if it's still an issue at that point I will have them handle it at that time. Is it possible to turn these 680 series ejectors into extractors only?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 686 extractor/ejector issue
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:38 pm 
Crown Grade

Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:12 am
Posts: 5610
Yes the can convert to extractors. The problem with ejectors is once you take off the wrong amount you are finished. Not a job fitting and timing for the average shotgun buff.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 686 extractor/ejector issue
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:47 pm 
Tournament Grade

Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:19 pm
Posts: 251
I'll likely leave it be until it goes to Coles in another month and have them swap it over to extract only and they can tackle the issue then. I have a hunt next week so I'll go ahead and flip the selector to shoot top barrel first and hopefully I don't have to break the gun open very often without taking a shot. This should lessen the ejection of live shells until it goes in for service.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 686 extractor/ejector issue
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:12 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:52 pm
Posts: 301
Location: MS
I’ve converted all my target Berettas, 686’s, 692 & Dt11, to extractors only by taking a Dremel & removing the top edge of the forearm lever. If the extractor lifts the empty hull high enough to easily grab it, that’s my preference.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 686 extractor/ejector issue
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:52 am 
Tournament Grade

Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:19 pm
Posts: 251
Well I finally got around to having this 686 looked at. Turns out there was an ever so slight bend in the top barrel ejector. I am not sure how this could have happened but they got it smoothed out and all is well in the universe once again. Just in time to get it on some dove and just before Upland season opens. I couldn't be happier to have this gun gun functioning properly and back in the stable.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 686 extractor/ejector issue
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:42 pm 
Tournament Grade

Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:19 pm
Posts: 251
Got the gun out and shot some clays with it this weekend, it worked flawlessly.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 686 extractor/ejector issue
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:27 pm 
Tournament Grade

Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:19 pm
Posts: 251
Happy to report that the gun is functioning flawlessly and once again knocking down Bobwhite's like she was born to do.

Image
Image
Image




Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Registered users: Big_Country_541, Bing [Bot], Bladeswitcher, Bob in Maine, bwpkck, castnblast2, chairman, Dave in AZ, df, dmit*, DogTrot, Drew Hause, ebcjr, EricB, Ernest T, f5guy, fishrising, friend of a friend, geometric, goldwingmike, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], HalfStop, Husker90, JayMc, jcrisp, jeffreyk, JJK, John H, Johnnyblues*, JoM, Keperkey, krimmie, kyskeet, lossking, Maine Man, mb94, misterdom, mogunner06, NoDak Scotty, North Ron, oyeme, painter*, PawleysJim, Pettifogger1, rabbitwhacker, Rack-N-Roy, randyabb1, rbdjr, Riflemeister, RMc, saskbooknut, Scardog7, senorric, shaynec, snooky, Specklebelly, Starstorm, SuperXOne, sv10001975, TheCommissioner, torreyinreno, wcampb7899, Wchadw, Westender, zxcvbnm


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group    - DMCA Notice