ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Used gun advice
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:10 pm 
Presentation Grade

Multiflora,

The L.C. Smith 16 was designed for 2 1/2" shells, Use the Poly or RST #6 or #5 SpredR shells for Pheasant, they will do the job if you do yours. #8's & 7 1/2's for Grouse and Woodcock. If you take care of your L.C. Smith double gun as per the factory instructions you will have no problems with your stocks. Mine are in perfect shape after many generations of use, shooting all different kinds of birds and Ducks.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

16 Hammer Guns also!

NRA Life Member/NRA Instructor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:28 pm 
Crown Grade

That.....was my point and it can be a consideration when purchasing a used shotgun.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:50 pm 
Presentation Grade

Multiflora,

Your point is well taken and it's why for years we had to roll our own 16 gauge 2 1/2" shells. Many of the modern bird hunters use the 12 gauge L.C Smith double guns, because they were designed for 2 3/4 shells even back in the early 1900's. The RST and Poly shells now give us the ability to order and have the 2 1/2" 16's delivered right to our doors. Great stuff for the classic 16 gauge double gun shooter for sure. No more having to reload all my 16 gauge shells. Nice soft shooting shells that work just like the old slow burning shells of the past, even with the correct patterns with our M/F original guns.

I recently picked up an old antique Crescent 16 gauge Hammer Gun for Grouse and Woodcock hunting, patterns perfectly for Grouse and Woodcock hunting from 25 yards out. Ya got to love these classic American, German and Brit double guns with the new 2 1/2" RST & Poly SpredR shells.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

16 Gauge Crescent Hammer Gun engineered for 2 1/2" shells.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:00 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Chip1975 wrote:
I am looking to pick up a shotgun this year and will most likely go used. My question is should I let the fact that a gun has fixed chokes stop me from buying it? I will be using it mostly for pheasants in SE PA and the occasional trap/skeet shooting. My first choice would be a 16 gauge in either a pump or double gun.

A fixed choke gun for both trap and skeet makes no sense,

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:02 pm 
Crown Grade

The inches of cartridge length is not the sole consideration.....the load in the shell of any measurement can often be a greater consideration with older shotguns.

I would assume that LC Smith advised a load rather than a shell measurement alone....for a reason.
To that point, I'm not sure that LC ever advised 1 3/8 ounce loads in their standard 12 gauge, as ok....and yet, that load is often found in 2 3/4" 12 gauge shells.
There are, of course, different levels of 1 1/4 ounce oomph in 12 gauge loads as well.

Most understand this but folks newer...may not, if length appears to end the issue of what to use.
Let's effort to keep the Elsies whole.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:23 pm 
Presentation Grade

Chips1975,

I agree with Randy, I use a screw in multi choke gun for shooting clays, and my standard choked double guns for hunting. If you like the screw in chokes and still want a nice double gun for hunting, they are also available SXS or O/U.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:47 pm 
Presentation Grade

Mutliflora,

I agree use the shells specified by Hunter Arms/L.C. Smith in the L.C. Smith double guns. It is the responsibility of the owner to know his double gun and use the correct size shells for the guns.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:58 pm 
Presentation Grade

Gentlemen,

It is true that the 16 gauge L.C. Smith double gun was designed with 2 9/16" Chambers for 2 1/2" shells. 2 1/2" RST & Poly SpredR shells work well in the Classic American and German Best double guns, 8's and 7 1/2's for Grouse, Woodcock and Quail, #5 & #6's for Pheasants. If you want a bigger pay load, use the 12 gauge gun with the 2 3/4" shells.

Used properly the L.C. Smith 16 gauge double gun is a great upland bird gun, always has been always will be.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:04 am 
Crown Grade

Get a used Ithaca 37 or wingmaster in 12ga or 20ga. Find one with a 26 or 28 inch barrel with a fixed modified choke for $300-$400. Buy ammo at Wally World. Go shooting/hunting. Boom. Done.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:55 am 
Diamond Grade

That’s sound advice.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:12 am 
Diamond Grade

Chip1975 wrote:
Zbigniew wrote:
No, but why a 16 gauge? Ammo is more plentiful and cheaper for 12 or 20 gauge.

I am by no means dead set on 16 gauge. I just like the idea of a gun that has the power of a 12, but the weight of a 20.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i've always thought of 16s as carrys like a 12 hits like a 20 costs to feed like a 28.

i like a 20ga wingmaster for your stated uses. fixed modified choke would be fine but i don't think you'd pay much more at all to get a modern choke tube version. they are very fine guns and worth the $$ IMO.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:33 am 
Crown Grade

16 gauge side by side with fixed chokes?

Wow, you really want to make it hard on yourself. I foresee the people you shoot with laughing at you and not with you.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:17 pm 
Presentation Grade

Old Farmer,

I do not think Upland Dan was talking about shooting any kind of Clays. His advise is good for the beginning upland hunter.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man