ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dunns still has 48AL in 20ga, ?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:22 pm 
Diamond Grade

Dunns still shows 20ga 26" Franchi 48AL in stock in the field and deluxe model. And on sale, too. I just ordered a deluxe. I hope it's not a website inventory mistake...

I've always wanted a 48AL, especially in 20 or 28. I acted too late to get a new one in 28 ga. I hope I get this one in 20 ga.

Post subject: Re: Dunns still has 48AL in 20ga, ?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:08 pm 
Diamond Grade

desmobob wrote:
Dunns still shows 20ga 26" Franchi 48AL in stock in the field and deluxe model. And on sale, too. I just ordered a deluxe. I hope it's not a website inventory mistake...

I just got an e-mail from them requesting the copy of my FFL. Looks like they do still have some 20 ga. Franchi 48ALs.

I'm pretty happy. They were discontinued about two years ago after something like a 48-year production run. I thought I'd have to buy a used one. Nope!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:57 pm 
Crown Grade

$710 for a new deluxe seems more than fair to me. I wonder if they have any of those in straight grip. I asked and they only have 26 inch and with pistol grip. Still a great bird gun!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:21 pm 
Diamond Grade

I picked up my Deluxe today. I like the way it looks and it fits me well with an added 1/2" of LOP. I cleaned up all the packing lube and she's ready to go.

The sad part is I don't think I'm going to get a chance to shoot this weekend!

So, other than the Breda, which I don't consider "mainstream", are there any long-recoil semiautomatic shotguns left? I'm thinking I picked up one of the last of a dying breed...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:59 pm 
Diamond Grade

I got a chance to shoot a couple of rounds of skeet with the new 48 AL 20ga Deluxe tonight. I love this gun! Shooting gun down, I got to station five before using my option on the high house bird. I missed one more bird at station six and another to a bad mount at station eight high.

I was pleased with that for the first time shooting it at targets. I had previously test-fired it with my light reloads and had one failure to feed after firing the first round. After that, not a single failure.

I have a feeling this may become my favorite grouse gun. I also have a new Beretta Silver Pigeon I in 28 ga. vying for that title. I'm looking forward to a fun fall season.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:56 am 
Limited Edition

I like my 20 ga. 48AL very much, I think it's the right weight for a 20.

The only reason I'll shoot any sub gauge is the size and weight.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:49 pm 
Diamond Grade

sovrapposti wrote:
I like my 20 ga. 48AL very much, I think it's the right weight for a 20.

The only reason I'll shoot any sub gauge is the size and weight.

At 5.6 lbs., a 20 gauge Franchi 48 AL is about as light as you can go for a repeating shotgun. That is, unless you pick the 28 gauge 48 AL at about three ounces lighter.

What impresses me most about the 48 AL is that its light weight is not a detriment to its handling. It comes to my shoulder more accurately and consistently than my 20 ga. Beretta AL391 that is almost a pound heavier.

I am very eager to get it out into the woods this fall!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:19 pm 
Crown Grade

If I was not such a cheapskate; I would buy one of these while they are still available. Can't imagine a much better field gun.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:41 pm 
Diamond Grade

oyeme wrote:
If I was not such a cheapskate; I would buy one of these while they are still available. Can't imagine a much better field gun.

I like the gun so much, if I was not so broke, I would certainly buy another one in field grade.

If you have any serious thoughts of getting one, act now while they are still some available. I sure wish I would have acted a few years ago when a person could still get a new one in 28 gauge, as well. I'm plenty happy with the 20, but also having a 28 would have been pretty nice.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:15 pm 
Diamond Grade

I am so pleased with this little gem of a shotgun. Because of Dunn's sale price, I was able to upgrade to the prettier "Deluxe" model; something I haven't done in the past that is often a regret down the road after I've purchased guns I ended up really liking.

I wanted this gun for a couple of reasons. One was that a couple of guys I respected in the shooting or hunting sports shot long recoil shotguns and I had always wanted to have one to help "round out the collection". Second was that I never owned an ultra-light shotgun and thought I might appreciate it as I'm getting older.

But I felt it was a risky purchase. In other hobbies, I've bought old-school or obsolete items purely for nostalgia's sake and ended up finding out there was a good reason they were obsolete and regretted making the purchases.

Happily, that's not the case with the Franchi 48 AL. My only regret that was that I didn't buy one in each gauge 30 years ago. :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:39 am 
Limited Edition

Good Report. 8) . there was an issue with the stock on mine (field grade) and I sent it back under warranty. they replaced the stock and fore end with deluxe prince of wales wood, easily the nicest lumber I have ever owned on a gun. I got My first Browning A-5 this spring. I really like how the long recoil guns shoot.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:25 pm 
Crown Grade

I won a new 20ge 48AL Deluxe with a 26" choke tubed barrel for the cost of $20 for 5 raffle tickets at a county fair here - I gifted it to my (adult) Son.

My absolute favorite bird gun was a 20ga 48AL with a fixed IC choke 24" VR barrel, that I bought new back in the day.

Alas, the grouse season here has been closed for the past 20 years. {F*

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 2:27 pm 
Presentation Grade

Have one of the “last run” 20 gauges that was purchased last summer. Deluxe model furniture with Prince of Wales grip. The only thing that is problematic (so far) is locating a LH safety for her. Sweet shooter and if I find a 28 gauge.....