ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: New caliber suggestions
PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:30 pm 
Tournament Grade

Those calibers mentioned above will take a deer and then some.

Consider this, availability of ammo in the stores. Do you reload? if so, then pick the one you really like.

For me, I like the 6.5 Swede , 7x57 Mauser.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:44 pm 
Diamond Grade

My wife uses an AR-15 chambered in 6.8 SPC. She used to have a 7mm-08 and said it kicked too much to be fun to shoot, even with 120 grain bullets though they were better than the 140 grain bullets. This was a New England Firearms single shot. She loves the 6.8 SPC in the AR. Recoil is very mild and she took a six point buck last fall with the 115 grain Federal Fusion loads and it did a fantastic job. Might be able to get the 6.8 SPC in a different style rifle (single shot or bolt action) if you either don't want an AR style rifle or local regulations prohibit it. It has the potential to be a really good deer round for those looking for less recoil. Some guys on the 6.8 forum are shooting hogs with their 6.8 guns as well and are having good success.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:56 pm 
Crown Grade

Nobody cares about anybodies opinion (well almost nobody) except theirs but since the OP made the mistake of asking for opinions. I might as well give mine. I have killed big game, mostly deer & some really big feral hogs with everything from buckshot to a .45-70 loaded to near .458 velocity. That includes 30-30, 54 cal. RB, & .300 Win.. Virtually anything will & has killed deer. It is 90% where you hit it & 10% what you hit it with, assuming it is within reason. Don't get upset if you don't agree, this is just my opinion. Any of the calibers mentioned will make a decent deer rifle except for two. The .243 is essentially a varmint rifle. Yes, of course it will kill deer but it gives you very little margin of error. Also, I can't imagine why anybody would want to deer hunt with a assault rifle. A lot depends on field conditions where you hunt. A .54 cal. RB will drop a buck in it's tracks at relatively close range but if your target is a mule deer at 400 yds., you might as well throw your hat at it! The first deer I killed with a rifle was with a 30-30. It worked but not flawlessly. The rifle I use most often for deer is a M77 Ruger in .300 Win. with 180 gr. reloads @ about 2900 fps. I don't know what it is, but that load has far less recoil than I expected. The first time I shot it, I thought there was something wrong with the rifle! I shoot that load because I like to eat venison. It doesn't turn a venison shoulder into bloody vapor & it puts them down fast. Small, fast expanding bullets kill quick also (at least usually) but what a mess they make! The bottom line is if you put the bullet in the right place, it doesn't make a lot of difference. Personally, I like the 7mm'08.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:17 pm 
Tournament Grade

Get a better recoil pad.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:00 pm 
Diamond Grade

geometric wrote:
Also, I can't imagine why anybody would want to deer hunt with a assault rifle.

First off, the AR-15 is not an assault rifle because it can not select fire to full auto or burst mode. It is semi auto only just like any other semi auto hunting rifle. Secondly, due to the gas operation and buffer spring in the stock, recoil is substantially less than with a fixed breech action such as single shot or bolt action. My wife is very recoil intolerant (as is my young grandson) and shooting the gas operated semi auto is much easier for them than a fixed breech action. Seems I have heard that advice here on Shotgunworld before - something like "get that youngster a Beretta semi auto instead of an O/U, the gas operated semi auto has less felt recoil" or some such statement. Holds true for rifles too.

BTW - wife fired one shot at each of the 3 deer she has killed with an AR. No spraying bullets all over the woods. One shot one kill each time. One of the reasons for that is that she can practice more without the rifle hurting her shoulder. Has nothing to do with this "assault rifle" nonsense.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:04 pm 
Crown Grade

So an AR is not an assault rifle? So what? It is definitely not a hunting rifle, although people do hunt with them but that doesn't make them a good choice. In MHO it's a POS. The only winners are the gun dealers that make people like you think they need one. I knew some black rifle lover would get their panties all in a wad but that is my opinion. You disagree & that's perfectly fine. Just because you are wrong doesn't mean you are not entitled to your opinion!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:11 pm 
Diamond Grade

The snobbery is strong in this one.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:09 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

geometric is wrong and living in the past. Sucks to be him (or her). Sounds like an old person unwilling to consider the fact that things change, and have. Sad.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:54 am 
Crown Grade

I started my opinion by stating it is just my opinion. If you think you need an AR for the next NAZI invasion or whatever, go for it. They also make a wonderful "MILK JUG" rifle. They don't have a strong enough action for a decent hunting round & the short barrel handicaps ballistics. Go buy a dozen if you want, I don't give a flip. Geometric is living in reality & has no need for the latest fad nor does he play "RAMBO". So many people are suckers for what the advertising & manufacturing industries want you to buy!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:47 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Zbigniew, I respectfully disagree with you on the recoil of a 270 vs a 30-06. The 06 has a much harder recoil than a 270. Been there, done that. Quit the 30-06 due to recoil. Also quit the 270. Went to a 243 that has never let me down. Largest deer I ever killed was with the 243.

I respect everyone's opinion. Please respect mine. I am an old geezer who has been hunting deer for close to 70 years. I don't know it all bu I dislike recoil when a 243 does what I need done.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:47 am 
Diamond Grade

geometric wrote:
I started my opinion by stating it is just my opinion. If you think you need an AR for the next NAZI invasion or whatever, go for it. They also make a wonderful "MILK JUG" rifle. They don't have a strong enough action for a decent hunting round & the short barrel handicaps ballistics. Go buy a dozen if you want, I don't give a flip. Geometric is living in reality & has no need for the latest fad nor does he play "RAMBO". So many people are suckers for what the advertising & manufacturing industries want you to buy!

First off, I support the fact that you have your own opinion and that you have the right to state your opinion. However statements like "They don't have a strong enough action for a decent hunting round & the short barrel handicaps ballistics." sounds more like you are stating fact than opinion. AR is not just AR-15, there are also AR-10\LR-308 platforms that have 20" barrels and can fire .308 Winchester (I have one) and 7mm-08 Remington among others. Surely you aren't saying that a .308 Winchester out of a 20" barrel is insufficient for deer or hog hunting are you? Even if we stick to the AR-15 platform, the 6.8 SPC round that my wife uses fires a .277 caliber bullet (same diameter as a .270 Winchester) that is 115 grains (also have 120 grain available) at close to 2500 fps. This has over 1600 ft lbs of energy at the muzzle and still retains over 1000 ft lbs at 300 yards. 1000 ft lbs is generally considered the standard for adequate energy to kill a whitetail deer. So that is more than adequate for almost all whitetail hunting scenarios. If you routinely shoot further than 300 yards then yes, you would want more gun. But if the majority of your shots are 100 yards or less with the occasional 150 - 300 yard shot (like 95% of most deer hunters) then it will do fine. As for barrel length, you can get them with 16", 18", and 20" barrels. This specific round (6.8 SPC) was designed so that it is pretty much maximizes its potential at 16" and the gains going up to a 20" barrel are minimal. I was able to consistently put rounds into the vital area of a paper "life size" deer target at 300 yards with my wife's rifle with a 16" barrel. This same rifle will shoot MOA at 100 yards with its preferred load and shoot under 2" at 100 yards with almost everything else. Plenty accurate for deer hunting.

Also, just to be clear, I have no fantasies about the next Nazi invasion or playing Rambo. My days of that are over since I retired from the military 8 years ago after participating in Desert Storm and Iraqi Freedom over the course of my career. I'm not trying to relive my glory days. I am familiar with the ergonomics and maintenance and care of the AR style rifle and see the benefit of its lower felt recoil which is why I use it. Nothing more, nothing less. No war fantasies, sorry.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:09 am 
Crown Grade

evbutler wrote:
Zbigniew, I respectfully disagree with you on the recoil of a 270 vs a 30-06. The 06 has a much harder recoil than a 270. Been there, done that. Quit the 30-06 due to recoil. Also quit the 270. Went to a 243 that has never let me down. Largest deer I ever killed was with the 243.

I respect everyone's opinion. Please respect mine. I am an old geezer who has been hunting deer for close to 70 years. I don't know it all bu I dislike recoil when a 243 does what I need done.
I'm no spring chicken myself but have never noticed the recoil of a rifle (or shotgun) in the field. Only on the bench.

I do respect your opinion and I hope you'll respect mine, that if I hand the average person a rifle to shoot, that they could not tell me afterwards if it was a 150 grain .30-06 or a 130 grain .270 unless they read it off the barrel.

-Securitization
Take your pick.

Always make an even number of mistakes. One may cancel out another.

"People who enjoy meetings should not be in charge of anything." --Thomas Sowell

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:40 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

{hs#

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:43 pm 
Crown Grade

Dear DOUBLE 20, I'm not going to argue with you. I've stated my opinion. You do what you want to do!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:28 am 
Utility Grade

I bought a 30-06 in 1976 and still have the fine rifle.
I went to a 280 Rem. because of less recoil, better and lighter bullet selection. I picked the 280 over the time and tested 270 because of better bullet selection. They are identical in performance.
I also have a 243 which my wife likes.
Another great cartridge that I might get is the 25-06.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:26 pm 
Crown Grade

I own a .25-06. It won't do anything that a .270 won't do better.

If I was looking for a new caliber, I'd base it upon what I was going to be shooting with it But I would start with the .308 and the other cartridges derived from it.

-Securitization
Take your pick.

Always make an even number of mistakes. One may cancel out another.

"People who enjoy meetings should not be in charge of anything." --Thomas Sowell

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:22 pm 
Diamond Grade

There are a lot of light-recoiling deer rifles to be had! I guess a lot would depend on the type of hunting you do... open country, thick woods or both.

I love the .270. In my heavy Browning BAR semi-auto, it doesn't kick too hard and can reach out farther than I would consider shooting at a deer. For woods hunting, that Browning offers quick follow-up shots, but I have a Ruger Mini-30 that is much easier to carry and handle. But I think a short AR-15 carbine in 6.8 SPC has to be the handiest woods rifle around... a modern version of the '94 Winchester. Horses for courses...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:30 pm 
Presentation Grade

For deer my choice is 257 roberts, or 7mm Mau. Larger game ,338/06. then learn to handload.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:32 pm 
Presentation Grade

For deer my choice is 257 roberts, or 7mm Mau. Larger game ,338/06. then learn to handload. Who needs all that recoil?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:18 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

.257 Roberts is a great deer cartridge. The problem these days is if you don't reload, there are many calibers where you will have limited access to factory ammo or a god variety in projectile weight. 257 Roberts is one of those.

Bob