ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hog hunting outside tampa
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:45 pm 
Presentation Grade

This spring I am heading out to Tampa. And I was thinking of doing some hog hunting. Does anyone recommend a place for free chase hunts I don't mind driving a bit.

Post subject: Re: Hog hunting outside tampa
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:16 pm 
Crown Grade

"FREE"? as in no cost? Seriously? Your only choice will be public WMAs; not always the best areas. Unfortunately, like Texas, the best areas are "pay to play".

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:48 pm 
Presentation Grade

Sorry I meant fair chase, auto correct struck again.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:40 pm 
Diamond Grade

This brings up a question I have often wondered. On the one hand, we are led to believe that feral hogs are this destructive force that destroys crops, spreads disease, and hurts native wildlife and needs to be eradicated at all costs. On the other hand, there are plenty of people who would be willing to travel to a state that is "over run" with feral hogs and shoot some of them if it didn't cost an arm and a leg to do so but nobody that lives where this destructive plague of hogs supposedly resides will let anyone shoot them for free. They want $400 and up. If having wild pigs was as bad as it is made out to be, they would be PAYING people to come shoot them, not CHARGING people to come shoot them. So either wild hogs aren't nearly as bad as some people lead on that they are or people who have them are willing to incur their wrath rather than give permission to let someone come remove some of them for no cost. I have never really understood the dynamics of that situation. Pigs are bad, wish we could eliminate all of them but if you come to my land and shoot some of them then break out your wallet and pay up! I'm not going to let you help me out for free! You have to pay me to do me a favor! It would be like if my house was over run with rats and you wanted to come and trap some of the rats and I told you that you would have to pay me $50 for every rat you trapped. How is that helping me solve my problem? Usually with the rat in the house scenario, people PAY exterminators to come and get rid of the rats, not the other way around. Can someone explain this to me?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:58 pm 
Crown Grade

There are "guides" who trap wild pigs, fatten them up a bit and release them inside what they THINK is a large controlled area and then charge you to come hunt. Now if they are truly providing a guide service, night-vision equipment, trained dogs, etc, I can see that there is a cost involved. If it is just a rancher wanting you to bring all your gear, that is altogether different.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

Last edited by oneounceload on Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:09 pm 
Crown Grade

The problem is land ownership and the rights of the owner plus good old avarice. If a land owner can make a buck; he will try. Heck, we have many who feed the pigs so they can have them available for hunters who pay. I agree it is not a good situation. Personally, I think they should put a bounty on them and some states have.

I wish I had land that you could kill pigs on. You could shoot all of them you can and I would feed you a good meal each day as thanks. I have no use for those nasty pigs, coyotes, feral cats or crows.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:45 pm 
Crown Grade

Most farmers I know with a hog problem will be glad to let you hunt them if they know you. Lone hunters in strange country are not likely to do much damage to the pig population. They usually go to hunters with dogs or trap them. Years ago, in the depression & before, farmers would turn their hogs loose in the big river swamps so they would feed themselves. That was a pretty cheap way to raise hogs. Then they would trap them & catch them with dogs. As you might have guessed, they didn't catch them all. We have always had wild hogs but never have their been so many. You can hunt them on any WMA in SC & I would imagine many other states during certain designated periods. You have to have a SC hunting license & a WMA permit. There is no closed season on private land but you still need a hunting license. Your chances of killing one in an area you are not familiar with is not good. Most are killed from a tree stand over bait or with dogs.