ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Syren/Fabarms Elos N2
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:25 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I've also posted this on the "CG Lovers" thread.

I picked up the N2 from August Crocker a few weeks ago and ran it by Gunny Ron to shorten the stock a tad. I got it back just as Covid-19 hit big and my gun club's spring skeet league was cancelled. Then we had eleven days in a row of rain here in Dallas, so I wasn't able to shoot the new toy until this past Friday. Although it is touted as a sporting clays gun, I shot skeet with it, three boxes on Friday and three again on Sunday.

I like the way it comes to my shoulder and the way it swings. I was somewhat trepidous about getting a 30” barrel gun again as I’d gone down to 28” to cut down on weight (Syren Tempio and Blaser Intuition). The work CG did in reducing barrel weight is spot on, I don’t feel the additional weight, and the extra two inches seems to make for a smoother swing. The gun itself looks and feels solid. In exterior appearance it is more like a German gun than an Italian one; there is nothing frilly about it either in the design or the decoration. But it does not look like a heavy plank of wood nor is it cumbersome; there is true Italian design behind this gun. I like the soft comb, which forgives a lot of cheek slap sins, something that will be valued by beginning shooters. I like the fact that it isn’t a natural wood finish; while this is a sacrifice in esthetics, it means that my Texas summer corrosive combination of sweat, bug spray, and sunscreen won’t peel the finish off.

And I like the price. While the pitstop program and the long warranty on the CG side of the Syren line is wonderful, the price difference between the Tempio and the N2 guns is significant. For a newer shooter, or a husband/father who is coming off the wallet to buy a gun for his dearest who has gotten serious about shooting, the price difference has got to be important. I think this gun is good enough that it will come to be more to its owner than just a starter O/U.

I do dislike the tendency to numbers/letters for gun models instead of names. I had to stop and think if I had the N2 or the D2, until I decided to name her Mrs. Rogers--because she is my Neighbor 2.

And, although it is advertised as a sporting clay gun, I like it so much I've ordered a second skeet choke. Please don't tell my Syren Tempio that I'm being unfaithful! Mary Ann

Post subject: Re: Syren/Fabarms Elos N2
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:38 pm 
Crown Grade

MAJENKINS wrote:
I've also posted this on the "CG Lovers" thread.

I picked up the N2 from August Crocker a few weeks ago and ran it by Gunny Ron to shorten the stock a tad. I got it back just as Covid-19 hit big and my gun club's spring skeet league was cancelled. Then we had eleven days in a row of rain here in Dallas, so I wasn't able to shoot the new toy until this past Friday. Although it is touted as a sporting clays gun, I shot skeet with it, three boxes on Friday and three again on Sunday.

I like the way it comes to my shoulder and the way it swings. I was somewhat trepidous about getting a 30” barrel gun again as I’d gone down to 28” to cut down on weight (Syren Tempio and Blaser Intuition). The work CG did in reducing barrel weight is spot on, I don’t feel the additional weight, and the extra two inches seems to make for a smoother swing. The gun itself looks and feels solid. In exterior appearance it is more like a German gun than an Italian one; there is nothing frilly about it either in the design or the decoration. But it does not look like a heavy plank of wood nor is it cumbersome; there is true Italian design behind this gun. I like the soft comb, which forgives a lot of cheek slap sins, something that will be valued by beginning shooters. I like the fact that it isn’t a natural wood finish; while this is a sacrifice in esthetics, it means that my Texas summer corrosive combination of sweat, bug spray, and sunscreen won’t peel the finish off.

And I like the price. While the pitstop program and the long warranty on the CG side of the Syren line is wonderful, the price difference between the Tempio and the N2 guns is significant. For a newer shooter, or a husband/father who is coming off the wallet to buy a gun for his dearest who has gotten serious about shooting, the price difference has got to be important. I think this gun is good enough that it will come to be more to its owner than just a starter O/U.

I do dislike the tendency to numbers/letters for gun models instead of names. I had to stop and think if I had the N2 or the D2, until I decided to name her Mrs. Rogers--because she is my Neighbor 2.

And, although it is advertised as a sporting clay gun, I like it so much I've ordered a second skeet choke. Please don't tell my Syren Tempio that I'm being unfaithful! Mary Ann

Mary Ann, you seem to be pretty much locked in to the CG/Fabarm/ Syren group?

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:45 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Tide, I actually started out with Berettas before I bought my first CG. I got my first CG (before Syren) on the recommendation of my then shooting instructor, a Beretta-supported shooter. I asked him what he thought was the best mid-priced O/U and without hesitation he responded "Caesar Guerini." This was way back around 2010, when CG was just a baby company.

Because I was buying a "guy" gun, until Syren came out I had to make a number of expensive modifications to my guns, including adding Bumpbusters. Then CG came out with the Syren line and the only change I had to make was a tiny stock shortening (I did add an adjustable comb to my Tempio before it was offered as a purchase option).

Not only was CG the first company to make a woman specific gun it is, in my opinion, the only one that once they decided to do it took women's guns seriously. CG didn't make just one gun, it made a complete line of guns for women that cover sporting and field, including both O/Us and semis. While other manufacturers have made a women specific gun, very few have made more than one model. And none of them, NONE, have put the promotion and effort into the product that CG has. I buy Syren products because I like them, I like the company, the people who work there are first rate, I think Lynne Green is a fantastic brand representative, and I have a dealer in August Crocker who does right by me. MAJ

PS: I also have a Blaser Intuition. Nice gun, but CG has women's guns out front, Blaser not so much. I bought the Blaser from August who is, in my opinion, the model for what a dealer should be.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:03 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

See if you can get your hands on a Perazzi "Elle". My wife has one and it's one of the few guns to ever fit her well. 8 lbs w/ 30.7 inch bbls.

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:21 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

sera wrote:
See if you can get your hands on a Perazzi "Elle". My wife has one and it's one of the few guns to ever fit her well. 8 lbs w/ 30.7 inch bbls.

Thanks, but I'm happy to dance with the ones I have. But ask your wife to post on here why she likes the gun. MAJ

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:42 pm 
Crown Grade

MAJENKINS wrote:
sera wrote:

Thanks, but I'm happy to dance with the ones I have. But ask your wife to post on here why she likes the gun. MAJ

Capital request , Mary Ann! I think an in depth discussion of comparative merits of two upper level guns by two lady shooters would be most interesting.

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:44 pm 
Diamond Grade

MAJENKINS wrote:
sera wrote:

You should test one out. You could be the “Lloyd Patterson” for female specific shotgun reviews!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:05 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Patently Obvious wrote:
MAJENKINS wrote:
sera wrote:

You should test one out. You could be the “Lloyd Patterson” for female specific shotgun reviews!

Oh god, that sounds too much like work! MAJ