ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hurry up Turkey season
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:58 am 
Presentation Grade

10 days until my turkey season starts. I can’t hardly wait. I’ve got all my gear ready to go, just waiting on the days to go by. We’ve had an extremely wet spring, I’m hoping it hasn’t messed up the bird’s activities.

How has this spring been for you folks?

And, is there 1 item you absolutely don’t want to go without?
For me it’s a multi tool. Gerber, Leatherman, ect.

Post subject: Re: Hurry up Turkey season
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:39 pm 
Crown Grade

Been great up to a couple days ago, I’ve taken 4 gobblers in Alabama, trying for my 5th but they have had lockjaw since the front passed through. Our Texas outfitter canceled our hunt this week due to guess what? I’ll be in Alabama next week, then Kentucky, Ohio and Wisconsin, may take a short season end trip to New York

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:47 pm 
Diamond Grade

I got my new decoy finished and all ready to go during covid lockdown. Two weeks till opener in a Wisconsin!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:47 pm 
Field Grade

I just went through my gear last weekend. It's been a little cold and dreary in the northern part of the state so we'll see how the season goes. I've heard gobbles a couple mornings from my deck but not enough to get real excited. This shutdown has a silver lining in the fact that I will get to hunt a bunch this year. Between no work, no kids sports and no coaching, I should be able to get out there way more than usual.

Good luck to everybody.
John

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:57 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

At my hunting lease, it is too hot to hunt except very early in the morning. The driveway to our clubhouse is the best place to bag a turkey. At least, it has been since we got the lease 20 years ago. Drive your vehicle to the clubhouse and sneak back to the entrance. The turkeys will leave their roosts and land in the field. Pick the one you want and have at it.

For a few years we invited some SGW members to hunt and they tagged out the first full day of hunting. Our club president is not welcoming guests this year due to other guests leaving trash, leaving gates open, and other violations of our rules. Our lease is full of turkeys and needs to be thinned out but when guests won't abide by the rules, well, you gotta do what yo gotta do.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:20 pm 
Presentation Grade

Ev,
I envy your opportunities.
I was fortunate to meet a gentleman a couple years ago that invited me to hunt on his property. He keeps his place immaculate, so I make very sure to leave it in better shape than I found it. I’ve offered to help with upkeep a few times as well.
I work with the public on a daily basis and the lack of common sense and courtesy is truly astounding.

BTW, I’ve always enjoyed reading your posts and THANK YOU for your years of public service!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:35 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

We have over 7,000 acres of prime hunting land in one lease and 800 acres in another. Almost all the signs we have installed are punctured by buck shot and other gunfire. These signs are not close to a public road. They are signs indicating where various points are located. Never had a problem until we allowed guests who stated that they really enjoyed the hunt. They almost always tagged out on deer, turkey, and black bear. After, the season was over, we inspected the areas and found trash strewn around, shot holes in our signs, and the clubhouse they used in a mess.

Since we didn't know the culprits, we let it ride for another few years. We were too patient. We only charge $25 a day, very inexpensive, IMO. The accumulated fees were enough to replace the damages but not enough to calm down the president of the club. So, as of this year, no more guests.

It is a shame, really. I think $25 for a day's hunt in a lease that almost guarantees a great hunt would cause guests to think that the damage that they do will not guarantee a return visit.

The least they could do is pattern their guns on paper and sight their rifles in before they arrive. The signs are not inexpensive but make good patterning boards and rifle targets. There are many people who would give their eye teeth for such a paradise. These leases are not available everywhere, especially for $25 a day.

People should respect the property if they want to be invited back. I bargained and begged for a long time to get that lease. Please, gents, if you hunt someone else's lease, respect it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:53 pm 
Field Grade

Evan,

That certainly is an impressive piece of land you guys have to hunt on. I'm fortunate enough to have a couple of small (under 30 acres) plots that I have permission to hunt and I treat them with the utmost respect. Around here, we do not have huntable land in the sizes you describe so every piece has to be treated well. There are plenty of slobs around that have ruined access for everyone so I feel your pain (especially since they were SGW members too). At least you have some control and won't let them back.

Good luck to you guys and enjoy the hunt.
John

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:19 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Here in my area, hunting leases can be had for paying the county taxes. That is, when a lease comes available. All the prime leases have waiting lists. Our big lease is $22,000 a year. Our membership fees cover the lease cost with a bit left over to grade the roads and pay utilities. The deer lanes have to be bush-hogged but some of the members have tractors so that is covered at no cost to the club. If we give up the lease, there are plenty of hunting clubs ready to grab it.

The owners could get greedy and charge much more but they are decent guys who just want their property taxes paid. The property is for raising trees for the paper companies so they make out pretty good. They sell certain tracts every year so there is always cut downs to hunt over.

Post subject: Hurry up Turkey season
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:33 pm 
Presentation Grade

Just to follow up:
Had a great morning. Got to the property about 5:00am. Started making my way to a spot I had hunted before.
Had planned on going about 100 yards farther but heard a bird in a tree at about 75 yards. Just froze and hid decoy bag by the nearest tree and sat down. Turned out to be a wise choice. Had maybe a dozen turkeys all around me. Several toms and hens too. At fly down two gobblers I was watching went off the other direction with hens. A jake and some others stayed in the trees for a bit. Then he came down at about 50 yards looking for me. Wandered up to about 30. I let him walk but then he popped back up in front of me at 20.
BOOM!!!

Just a Jake But I passed on him 2 times. The 3rd time he was 20 yards. 3 strikes and your out!
[GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:04 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I got a nice gobbler this afternoon using my 20 gauge Nova and #6 Estate dove loads. 30 yards out and down. I don't use those fancy high priced loads Never have and I tag out every year. 40 yards is my limit. It takes only a couple of shot in the head to have meat in the freezer.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:07 pm 
Presentation Grade

Used Winchester longbeard 3” 1,7/8oz. #5s. My gun patterns these good to 50 yards but I prefer to keep shots under 30.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:53 pm 
Field Grade

Our state wildlife resources agency has been posting on our local Nextdoor Digest that turkey hunting is a great way to enjoy the outdoors while practicing social distancing. And they are right.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:44 am 
Field Grade

Good job so far guys. My season starts Saturday so I'm hoping for decent weather. I woke up to 26 Degrees and snow this morning so it can only get better right?

Take Care.
John

https://imgur.com/a/3GdJKj1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:43 pm 
Crown Grade

Tagged out n Alabama and then Kentucky refuses to sell me a nonresident license. Ohio starts Monday, Wisconsin mid May then???????

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:09 pm 
Presentation Grade

Posted this over in the game cooking forum but thought I’d copy it here too. This recipe for BBQ turkey from the legs and thighs came out really well.

https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtop ... 2#p4297846