ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: stevens 555 compact... as a turkey gun?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:27 pm 
Crown Grade

jacosta95 wrote:
Randy, so far you haven't explained how exactly savage failed. You haven't explained how savage tried to fix or replace it. All you have done is reiterate that they have failed. How do you expect me to trust a source that doesn't explain a failure? It's not logical to do so. I apologize if you took this personal, but it wasn't meant to be.

Far be it for me to try to defend Randy, nor does he need me to, but he actually did explain.

Savage made no attempt to fix the issue and give him a chance to modify his review. Re-read his posts.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:51 pm 
Field Grade

painter* wrote:
jacosta95 wrote:
Randy, so far you haven't explained how exactly savage failed. You haven't explained how savage tried to fix or replace it. All you have done is reiterate that they have failed. How do you expect me to trust a source that doesn't explain a failure? It's not logical to do so. I apologize if you took this personal, but it wasn't meant to be.

Far be it for me to try to defend Randy, nor does he need me to, but he actually did explain.

Savage made no attempt to fix the issue and give him a chance to modify his review. Re-read his posts.

I re-read his posts, and I don't see any reference to them giving him a chance to modify his review. I looked on this thread and it the article, and these are all I have found. If I missed it though please show me, as that would be important.

RandyWakeman wrote:
Thus, back to Savage Arms goes the Stevens 555, without remorse.

RandyWakeman wrote:
Simple explanation: a complete Savage / Stevens fail . . . in this case

RandyWakeman wrote:
Of COURSE Savage had the opportunity to fix it or replace it. Savage failed.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:35 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

jacosta95 wrote:
How do you expect me to trust a source that doesn't explain a failure?

I don't expect anything of you. The 'source' that you need to trust would be Kofs of Isparta, Turkey. Good luck.

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:15 pm 
Field Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
jacosta95 wrote:
How do you expect me to trust a source that doesn't explain a failure?

I don't expect anything of you. The 'source' that you need to trust would be Kofs of Isparta, Turkey. Good luck.

RandyWakeman wrote:
You don't have to look very far to find actual sources: the source is me

Good luck to you as well Randy.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 10:52 am 
Crown Grade

Sometimes you just want to see someone go out and pay good money for a lesson they won't accept for free. When you need part numbers to turn a worthless piece of crap shotgun into a floor lamp to try and salvage some value, you won't find much help here. You can learn that lesson on your own as well. Or you can trade the junk in an a real gun when you learn your lesson. Turning junk guns into attractive pieces of furniture is a lucrative retirement pastime for me, I should have retired several years earlier. A $50 dollar gun, $23.19 in parts from Menards, and a $1 lamp shade from the thrift store, nets me a little more than $300 in profit per lamp at gun shows. I thank God people buy these guns, they keep me in raw materials when they dispose of them. Many quit shooting too, so they aren't crowding shooting ranges or hunting spots when I want to go. For me it's a win-win-win.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 12:26 pm 
Presentation Grade

Randy,

The Turkey hunters down in Texas are using the 28 gage 555 guns to kill Rio Turkeys all the time now.
In fact there was a nice discussion on the 28 forum a while back about how nice the guns are for shooting Turkey. One of the young girls had just taken her 1st Gobbler with a 555. No camo needed on the gun, she was 12 years old.

Now the new enhanced 555E has a steel breech, however it weighs a little more. I own the 555 28 gauge and I use it for gun dog training, nice light inexpensive gun I can lay on the ground when needed. Shoots training birds real well, and I have had no problems with the gun what so ever. Only negative is the gun was super tight when I 1st got it. Had to use some Singer sewing machine oil on her and work her in before firing the gun.

There was a problem with the 1st generation guns, for some reason some had a doubling problem, mine has never doubled. My understanding is the later guns have no such problem.

In reality the 555 28 gauge is a nice light inexpensive O/U gun, I believe you have misjudged the 555 20 gauge O/U gun. Please explain your opinion in greater detail.
I have not shot the 20 gauge 555 however.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

My 28 gauge 555 on the correct 28 gauge frame.

NRA Life Member/NRA Instructor

Last edited by Pine Creek/Dave on Tue May 05, 2020 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 12:40 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Pine Creek/Dave wrote:
Randy,

The Turkey hunters down in Texas are using the 28 gage 555 guns to kill Rio Turkeys all the time now.
In fact there was a nice discussion on the 28 forum a while back about how nice the guns are for shooting Turkey. One of the young girls had just taken her 1st Gobbler with a 555.

People use everything to shoot turkeys "all the time." That isn't much of a statement. Wisconsin and more than 35 other states already allow .410 shotgun usage for wild turkey hunting. Utah was the latest to join the majority, dropping its 20 gauge minimum just a few days ago.

It hardly has to be a cheap, poorly made O/U of a specific gauge to kill a turkey-- nor need it be an O/U at all. Lots of guns are "nice" for shooting turkey, whatever you might think that means.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 12:48 pm 
Presentation Grade

Randy,

Explain in detailed engineering just why you made your statement, this gentlemen wanted to use the gun for Turkey hunting, so I advised you that the 555 was already being used quite a bit for doing that job. Just what is poorly made on the gun?

IMO the old Savage 24 DL 22 Mag/20 gauge O/U was a decent Turkey gun, I killed many Turkey with it and still use it for Turkey hunting even today. We will see if the 555 measures up.

Now do not get me wrong these are not L.C. Smith or Purdey Best quality guns, they are a medium entry level gun, that gets the job done at low cost to the purchaser. The reviews on the 555 are positive and my gun works exactly as advertised on the correct 28 gauge frame. Is the 20 gauge different in some way?

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 2:25 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

jacosta95 wrote:
So with that said, I'm wanting get a 20 gauge set up for the sole purpose of turkey hunting. Preferably a youth/compact gun to keep things short and handy. To that end, I've been really eyeing the Stevens 555 compact in a 20 gauge.

The question (from last month) was about a 20 gauge-- I've tested two, both with major problems. It is a very poor choice for a turkey gun and a poor choice in general for anything.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 2:45 pm 
Crown Grade

So, perhaps that is true. Can you enlighten us as to specifically what those problems were or send us a link to your review?

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 3:04 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

RandyWakeman wrote:
jacosta95 wrote:
i saw your online “review”. Wasn’t much of one, and there wasn’t anything to suggest you sent the gun back to savage to get the doubling sorted out unless I missed it. That’s not very much for me to go off of where a lot of other writers and video makers will give a company a chance to fix something then continue with the review. Which, if I missed it I will admit I’m wrong, but it does not look like that’s what you did.

How could you miss it?

Quote:
The 555 is built on a conventional box lock action. The mechanical, non-adjustable, single selective trigger is surprisingly light, breaking at just under four pounds after noticeable take-up per my Lyman electronic pull gauge. The plain extractors elevate both fired and unfired shells when the gun is opened, but do not eject fired hulls. The manual tang safety works smoothly.

As you would imagine, the gun kicks like a mule, as would be expected from any six pound, fixed breech, 12 gauge shotgun. It is no clays gun, to be sure, but tolerable shooting 1180 fps MV, one ounce loads.

I took the first few shots at clays myself and the Stevens broke them just fine. The gun is noticeably muzzle heavy, as you might expect with an aluminum alloy receiver.

Unfortunately, I then asked my eighty-six year old father if he's like to try a shot or two. The reason it was unfortunate is that on Dad's first shot, the gun doubled, simultaneously discharging both barrels. It was loud, of course, and Dad had the benefit of throwing two ounces of lead out of a six pound gun--taking a few steps backward as a result. It is a good thing we were not shooting three inch magnum shells at the time!

As supplied, the single trigger on the Stevens 555 cannot be trusted. Perhaps this one just slipped through the cracks, but no one would be happy with a "give 'em both barrels" (from time to time) O/U shotgun with a single trigger. Unfortunately, double triggers are not an option. Thus, back to Savage Arms goes the Stevens 555, without remorse.

Of COURSE the gun went back to Savage. Of COURSE Savage had the opportunity to fix it or replace it. Savage failed.

It is a miserably poor shotgun in general and a horrifically bad choice as turkey gun attempt.

The replacement gun had a safety that wouldn't come off, just unusable, among other issues. I have no wish to beat up crummy price-point guns: they are what they are. The Mossberg Silver Reserve isn't much better, including the SRII. The original Silver Reserve was a disaster.

Any number of shotguns do a fine job on turkey: O/U's are bad choices in general. A pump or semi has no barrel regulation issues, and a gas semi has very low recoil. 1 oz. out of TSS #9 out of a 20 gauge is an easy 50 yard turkey load, and the recoil is trivial.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 3:33 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Oldfarmer wrote:
Sometimes you just want to see someone go out and pay good money for a lesson they won't accept for free. When you need part numbers to turn a worthless piece of crap shotgun into a floor lamp to try and salvage some value, you won't find much help here. You can learn that lesson on your own as well. Or you can trade the junk in an a real gun when you learn your lesson. Turning junk guns into attractive pieces of furniture is a lucrative retirement pastime for me, I should have retired several years earlier. A $50 dollar gun, $23.19 in parts from Menards, and a $1 lamp shade from the thrift store, nets me a little more than $300 in profit per lamp at gun shows. I thank God people buy these guns, they keep me in raw materials when they dispose of them. Many quit shooting too, so they aren't crowding shooting ranges or hunting spots when I want to go. For me it's a win-win-win.

Well, I'm not in the floor lamp business, but congratulations. :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 4:23 pm 
Presentation Grade

Gentlemen,

Now I maybe lucky, however I own both the 555 and the SRII 28/20 combo gun and have never had a problem with either gun. I have never owned the original SR gun, they did have a lot of engineering problems.

Does either of these guns not lock up correctly at the breech, do they throw bad patterns from poorly articulated barrels, the safety on my guns works perfectly, the SST also works fine. My guns have never doubled as of this time. The guns are not rusting and the screw in chokes are threaded correctly, although a little tight. Firing pins work all the time, the breech is not shooting loose. So far the engineering of the gun has few problems. The SRII 28 gauge is built on the 20 frame, same as the Browning and swings very similar.

Now even a Purdy double gun long ago was delivered minus the firing pins, purchasing a gun with a faulty safety, especially on a SST gun is no big news. Still a pain however, even the Browning guns have it happen from time to time.

Are there any engineering reasons you gentlemen do not like the 555 or the SRII guns? Be specific. 1st time I have heard of a safety problem and now to my understanding the doubling problem has been corrected.

O/U guns are as good a Turkey gun as any other. Finding myself defending O/U guns is tough on this old SXS double gun traditionalist.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 4:37 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Pine Creek/Dave wrote:
Gentlemen,

Now I maybe lucky,

Perhaps you are. Why not just leave at that?

O/U's are miserably poor dedicated turkey guns. Whether it is barrel regulation issues, high recoil, lack of optics / optics mounting ability, or rifle sights, lack of factory camo, it is the worst way to go.

Nothing could be easier than to use rifle sights or a red dot, squeeze the trigger, and go pick him up.

It doesn't get much easier than that.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 7:17 pm 
Crown Grade

I gotta ring the BS gong on that one. Why would anybody need a dedicated turkey gun anyway? If you can't hit a turkey standing still at close range, you need to quit hunting! Different guns have different effective ranges, period! The only thing special is all the unnecessary BS that the people that sell it want you to believe you need! What are you selling? I would advise anybody interested in the Savage to read the reviews by Dan Zimmerman in "The Truth about Guns" and the review by Steve Gash in "Shooting Times". Their evaluations are considerably different than Mr. Wakeman's. Nobody is calling it a perfect turkey gun but if you can call one in range, it will kill it!

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 7:24 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

geometric wrote:
Why would anybody need a dedicated turkey gun anyway?

It isn't about need, it is about want. I want rifle sights. Some want pic rails and red-dot sights. As you shoot it like a rifle, it ought to be set up like a rifle. If you are hunting inside a blind, shorter barrels are a lot handier.

You might be calling them in close, but that isn't fall turkey hunting. You may not need 50 or 60 yard capability, but you may well want it.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 7:35 pm 
Crown Grade

And if a Frog had wings he wouldn't hop along bumping his a$$! So what, it's not about need or want, it's about fair representation. The Stevens 555 is not a bespoke shotgun but neither is it a piece of junk as you would have us believe.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 8:34 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

geometric wrote:
The Stevens 555 is not a bespoke shotgun but neither is it a piece of junk as you would have us believe.

Worse than junk, actually . . . junk costs less.

jacosta95 wrote:
New turkey clothes, vest, extra mouth calls, new pot, spare striker (my only one fell out of my vest it was a miracle I found it), and most importantly a dedicated turkey gun. I have been taking my 3901 and while I love it, a turkey gun it is not.

This entire thread was about "most importantly a dedicated turkey gun". It isn't a grand idea to start complaining about why someone would want one. A lot of people do, and certainly jacosta95 does.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 10:07 am 
Crown Grade

Is that a fact? For the OP & his turkey hunting, it could be a good dedicated turkey gun for him. It seems your peers in the outdoor writing field don't all agree with your assessment but just because you are wrong doesn't mean you are not entitled to your opinion. Such an unwarranted attack on a product is unprofessional! My evaluation of you as an outdoor writer is on par with your evaluation of the Stevens 555.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 12:04 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

geometric wrote:
Is that a fact? For the OP & his turkey hunting, it could be a good dedicated turkey gun for him.

There is no chance of that.