ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Franchi Instinct L - Long-term owners question
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:22 pm 
Field Grade

Hey all! I have been downsizing a bit and thinking of spending the money on a new Franchi Instinct L. I've read a few old posts about problems people were having where the triggers wouldn't reset on one or both barrels, but these posts are several years old and I'm not sure how reliable they are.

This question is aimed at those who have owned one for a while - how does the gun hold up under continuous use and proper maintenance? I have been trying to find any kind of information on how these guns hold up long term, and I know that they were released less than ten years ago. However, I'm looking to find any glaring problems that might be lurking before I pull the trigger, so to speak.

Post subject: Re: Franchi Instinct L - Long-term owners question
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 10:46 am 
Field Grade

Hi Stan, my Instinct L is coming up on three years old and did have the problem with the trigger/safety last year. Franchi fixed it under warranty and haven't had a problem since. Before getting a dedicated target gun, I shot it a lot but it has seen only field use for about a year. I wouldn't say it's the pinnacle of long term durability. The release lever is pretty much down the center already, and the case hardened finish is starting to look less prominent where it rests in my hand (which I hope to get fixed under warranty).

All of that said, I've come to really like this gun. I just keep not missing with it! It just seems to shoulder and swing really well, and I've surprised myself at some of the tricky shots I've pulled off. If I've got a hard focus on the bird, it's dead.

I will say from reading some of the other stories of Franchi fixes, it seems like their customer service has gotten pretty respectable and the gun comes with a seven year warranty. So, you probably won't be left high and dry if something needs attention. I wouldn't want it to be my only gun, though. Hope this helps,

Eric

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 12:19 pm 
Field Grade

I've had mine a year and no problems.

I did get to shoot the Franchi SL and the trigger guard kept busting my second finger.

Franchi Instinct L
SBEII Max 5, Left-Hand
Super Nova
Super Nova Tactical
Canon 5D Mk IV
Canon 7D Mk II

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 10:27 pm 
Utility Grade

I've had one (12 ga) for about 4 years now. I do 90% of my hunting with it, help coach the local high school trap team with it, and probably have around 3-4K rounds through it at this point. For reference I also have a 20 ga Beretta 686 and 12 Browning White Lightning. Is it as nice and as well finished as those 2? No. But for right at a $1000 at most places its a good gun. I've had no mechanical issues at all. I bought it to not worry about if it gets scratched up in the duck or goose blind, or one of the kids drops it at practice. It has very little wear on the receiver. It's not nearly finished as well as the other two, but it's in a different price bracket. The action finally broke in it felt like about 1K rounds. It's a good gun for what it is, much better than the others I've seen in the same price range.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:03 am 
Field Grade

Mine is 8YRS old, ZERO issues other then if you don't open it all the way. Shot 300 rounds (200 in less then 2hrs) just this weekend alone. Myself and friend were shooting my L and he didnt open it all the way and when his next clays flew the bottom firing pin didnt not strike the primer hard enough. I "reset" the gun and it worked for another 150 round with no issues, It was his first time shooting and didnt know he had to open the action all the way. I have thousands of round through this gun and (with my head down in shame) its rarely ever cleaned.