ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Thoughts on 25-06 for deer
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 11:55 am 
Crown Grade

I am not one of these guys that has killed 20 deer a year for 20 years but I usually put a couple in the freezer most years. I have killed them with buckshot in 12 & 10 ga., the .54 cal. round ball, 30-30 Win., 308 Win. & 300 Win.. Also with some fairly stiff 45-70 cast bullet loads in a Ruger No. 1. Assuming a decent deer rifle & conditions are suitable for what you are shooting, anything will kill deer. The important thing is are you comfortable with it & do you shoot it well. The 25-06 has been described as the ultimate antelope rifle. It is very flat shooting. I don't get much opportunity for long shots as the only areas that offer long shots are primarily cultivated farm fields. I have killed deer at 400 yardish ranges with the .300 Win. & hand loads. I don't shoot factory ammo. My personal preference is the heavier bullets in 30 cal. & larger. They kill well with minimal meat damage. I don't like little fast expanding or explosive bullets. They can kill dramatically but what a mess they make!! Premium bullets like the NP are the way to go in the smaller calibers, IMHO & I have used them in .30 cal with success!

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 12:27 pm 
Diamond Grade

geometric wrote:
I am not one of these guys that has killed 20 deer a year for 20 years but I usually put a couple in the freezer most years. I have killed them with buckshot in 12 & 10 ga., the .54 cal. round ball, 30-30 Win., 308 Win. & 300 Win.. Also with some fairly stiff 45-70 cast bullet loads in a Ruger No. 1. Assuming a decent deer rifle & conditions are suitable for what you are shooting, anything will kill deer. The important thing is are you comfortable with it & do you shoot it well. The 25-06 has been described as the ultimate antelope rifle. It is very flat shooting. I don't get much opportunity for long shots as the only areas that offer long shots are primarily cultivated farm fields. I have killed deer at 400 yardish ranges with the .300 Win. & hand loads. I don't shoot factory ammo. My personal preference is the heavier bullets in 30 cal. & larger. They kill well with minimal meat damage. I don't like little fast expanding or explosive bullets. They can kill dramatically but what a mess they make!! Premium bullets like the NP are the way to go in the smaller calibers, IMHO & I have used them in .30 cal with success!

Hey Mr Charlie! Long time no see! Glad to hear from you. Preciate the input!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:00 pm 
Utility Grade

The 25-06 is a great deer/antelope cartridge. The nosler partitions are a great bullet. I have used them for years in my 280 Rem for elk and they have never let me down. The nosler accu-bond is another good bullet.