ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tristar Viper G2 20 gauge
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:56 am 
Utility Grade

m3scott wrote:
Quote:
Does anyone happen to know the length of pull on the wood stocked (non youth) models?

Mine measures 14 1/2" on my G2 Wood 20ga.

Thank you!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:30 pm 
Crown Grade

Just shot two rounds of skeet with the gun. I bought it primarily as a Skeet gun but this was the first time shooting skeet. I have been using it for subgauge sporting. It was a little whippy but my normal skeet gun is over eight pounds. Broke 42/50. Gun Club nine shot. Again it was flawless. I really like this gun. Over 500 rounds through it and the only failure to cycle was one shell that was well under the recommended minimum speed. I have no complaints with this gun.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:47 pm 
Crown Grade

Took the Viper G2 out to Black Wing today for sporting clays league. Setting average so shot subgauge. This gun was flawless. Mixture of Gun Clubs and the Federal steel high speed 3/4 oz. This gun is fun to shoot, points great and works well.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:09 pm 
Utility Grade

I have followed this thread with interest. thanks for all the informative comments. My original search was a light recoil shotgun, for moderate use at best. This lead me to 20ga's, semi-automatic and economically priced. I ended up purchasing the TriStar Viper G2 youth model 24130. It's reviews were more than acceptable and it had the most "pieces" for $'s.

Below are two sets of data, one from TriStar, YouTube reviews and/or vendor websites; the other is from my personal examination of the shotgun. I though others would be interested in the information.

TriStar Youth Models General Description: 3” gas operated, semi-automatic shotgun that allows you to shoot light target loads to heavy waterfowl loads interchangeably. Shim kits standard. Removable choke system uses Beretta®/Benelli® Mobil Threads, includes three choke tubes (IC, M, F), choke box, and wrench. Anodized Receiver and endcap, highly durable injection molded stock and forearm coated with “Soft Touch” finish for better feel. Rubber Recoil pad, swivel studs, fiber optic sight and shim kits standard.
Features: (Tri-Star Viper G2 model 24130)
• Manual E-Z Load Magazine Cut-Off
• Vent Rib w/ Matted Sight Plane
• Anodized Receiver and End-cap
• Fiber Optic Sigh)
• 5 Round Magazine (Shot Plug Included)
• Quick Shot Plug Removal
• Chrome-lined Chamber and 24” Vent Rib Barrel
• 2” Barrel Extension
• Oversized Bolt Handle and Release (Not on model 24130)
• Swivel Studs
• Youth & Adult Stocks
• “Soft Touch” on Stock and Forearm
• 3 Beretta®/Benelli® Mobil (Standard) Style Choke Tubes (IC, M, F)
• [4] Shim kit (tapered & various thickness)
• Five Year Warranty

Features – Not Identified by TriStar:
• LOP (Nominal) = 12-1/2” Youth / 14”Adult Stock
> Youth Model Includes Slimmer Forearm
• “Soft Touch” Stocks - “Grippier” Feel, Especially Wet
• Stock walls are approx. 3/32” thick & “bosses” for recoil pad mounting are approx. 5/16”
• Shim kit – dimensions nominal
> Cast Spacer - 0.070” (L) x 0.050” (R)
> #65 - 0.100” (T) x 0.055” (B)
> #55 - 0.050” (T) x 0.075” (B)
> #50 - 0.055” (T) x 0.100” (B)
• Recoil Pad Thickness (Nominal) = 7/8” Youth / 1” Adult
> Adult - Medium Soft density rubber compound, with “X” hatch pattern perforations
> Youth - Medium Hard density rubber compound, with slanted chevron pattern perforations
> Recoil pad mounting holes are 3-3/4” CL/CL – non-industry standard
• OAL (without 2” extension) = 43”Youth / 44-1/2” Adult
• Weight (Empty) = Youth 6.13 lbs / Adult 7.0 lbs
• Gas actuation, piston components are located in the barrel cylinder (mounting lug)
• Ventilated Rib = 7mm (0.274”) Wide
• Fiber optic front sight is 0.09”Ø x 0.55” long – no mid-sight
• Receiver Dovetail = 12.45mm (3/8” USA / not Weaver) wide nominal x 120mm (4.75”) lg nominal
• 20ga Choke Constriction Ø (measured with caliper, actual OD may vary +.0000's):
> Full (v) – 0.5925” / Ref. Browning Invector Ø 0.594”
> Modified (vvv) – 0.6080” / Ref. Browning Invector Ø 0.605”
> Improved Cylinder (vvvv) – 0.6165” / Ref. Browning Invector Ø 0.609”
• Instruction Manual:
> Some areas are overly detailed, and others are lacking
> Printing is very small
> The photos are too small to understand what is being illustrated
> General Part Assembly diagram is too small, to easily identify shotgun putting together

ONLY ON Viper G2 Youth SR Sport model 24161, but can be ordered for the model I purchased. (parts order shipping $7.50)
o Oversized Bolt Handle P/N B0920T $20.25
o Oversized Bolt Release Toggle Plate P/N GI4B-SR $19.95

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:21 pm 
Crown Grade

Another 126 rounds through the gun. 76 skeet and 50 sporting. Mixture of Gun Clubs and Top Guns with one cheapo Winchester that a friend loaned me because I ran out of shells. All of these functioned flawlessly. The gun continues to shoot very well. It has gone 522 rounds without a hiccup of any kind. The loan malfunction the gun has had was a shell that was much lighter than the recommended minimum velocity so that was on me. These guns are so easy to maintain. I continue to recommend this gun. I can find no fault with it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:23 pm 
Crown Grade

Fifty more flawless rounds through this gun today. Mid thirties with snowfall. Shot sporting clays. Tried Remington game loads at 1225fps. Gun loved them. This gun continues to run without fail. Great price/value.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:54 pm 
Crown Grade

Usually do not get to shoot two days in a row but my daughter came down today and wanted to go shoot. Off to Black Wing in snow/rain mix. Two rounds of skeet through the Viper. Broke my first 25 straight with this gun (45/50 total) in the first round. Total is only 792 rounds with one failure on round #170 on a shell that Tristar said NOT to use. Today was Gun Club #9’s. But, I like the way the gun has run so far. Plan to use it at state skeet shoot at Wright-Patt later this summer. I think this gun has many more 25’s left in it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:12 pm 
Crown Grade

That is good shooting especially in those conditions! Well done, Sir.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:34 pm 
Crown Grade

Thank you oyeme. It was fun. My daughter and I do not get to shoot together much anymore so I could not say no. Been about three years since she shot skeet. She and her 1100 20 gauge broke a pair of 18’s.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:17 pm 
Limited Edition

That's Good Shooting, thanks for the reports. My G2 is a 28 ga. it had a heavy trigger and I sent it off to get worked on and it is now about 4 3/4 # . other than normal cleaning the only thing else I have done to mine was seal the inside of the forearm with some tru-oil. the Viper is a real sleeper in the shotgun world.
If I was a young Guy I'd most likely own one in every gauge. Keep busting them. :D .

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 1:56 pm 
Crown Grade

I have not been able to get the Viper G2 out for a while. Took her out today, however, for sporting clays league. Setting average for three weeks. Broke 40/50 with it. Flawless performance. Just 845 rounds so far with that lone failure back on round 170 with a shell the manual says specifically not to use. Estates sporting 7 1/2‘s today. This gun is not picky. Will be shooting it again next week.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 7:11 pm 
Limited Edition

Thanks for the Update...... :lol: ..... {hs# .

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:52 pm 
Crown Grade

Second week of sporting clays league. Shot the Viper again. Another flawless 50 rounds of Estate sporting 7.5’s. Broke another 40/50. This gun is fun to shoot. It shoots right where I am looking. I have not changed any shims. The only upgrade is the Carlson chokes I bought for the gun. I know that I am not using this as a high volume clays gun so I have no idea how it would hold up. But this far as we are closing in on the first thousand rounds it has been highly reliable. I would have no problems recommending this as a good field gun. Like I said I cannot say it is going to be reliable as a high volume clays gun.

One thing that I do because of how tight the spring is against the barrel when the bolt is open (if you have one you know about the disassembly) I store mine in the safe with the bolt closed. When I get it out to use it the bolt is locked open. But I do not shoot this gun as much as I do my B guns and so I am hoping to make that spring last a little longer. You may not be comfortable doing that but my guns are in safes and I have the only access to them. I have heard that those springs develop problems around 2000 rounds. Just trying to make it last.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:11 am 
Crown Grade

I don't think anything is accomplished by storing with the bolt open. I have never done it, and never noticed any downside to keeping the bolt closed except when using the gun.
That action spring is not an expensive item to replace. I broke one when in use and got a new one delivered 3 days after calling Tristar. It was free! :lol:

After 5 year warranty expires, I still don't think it would be a pricey item. I say shoot away and don't worry about the guns longevity. Mine has a bit over 2,000 rounds through it and still works as expected.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:48 am 
Field Grade

oyeme wrote:
I don't think anything is accomplished by storing with the bolt open. I have never done it, and never noticed any downside to keeping the bolt closed except when using the gun.
That action spring is not an expensive item to replace. I broke one when in use and got a new one delivered 3 days after calling Tristar. It was free! :lol:

After 5 year warranty expires, I still don't think it would be a pricey item. I say shoot away and don't worry about the guns longevity. Mine has a bit over 2,000 rounds through it and still works as expected.

So have you noticed any parts wear after 2000 rounds?

FWIW, I try to keep a couple of extra recoil springs for any semi-auto gun.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:00 pm 
Crown Grade

Redhat wrote:
oyeme wrote:

No, not really. Just the normal burnishing of metal against metal in the barrel extension from the bolt as would be expected. The area that I thought could be a weak link is the action bar sleeve. It is what the action bars mate with and takes the thrust from the gas piston. It is made of aluminum and the action bars are steel. However, it looks and operates perfectly. I think Beretta uses a plastic part in that role on the A400 and they work.

I think these guns are built on an old and proven design. Nothing fancy, just reliable. I am more concerned about my parts wearing out than any on the Tristar G2! :shock: :(

In fact, you should make it your goal to wear it out! That would be quite an accomplishment I believe. Good luck!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:09 pm 
Field Grade

oyeme wrote:
Redhat wrote:
oyeme wrote:

No, not really. Just the normal burnishing of metal against metal in the barrel extension from the bolt as would be expected. The area that I thought could be a weak link is the action bar sleeve. It is what the action bars mate with and takes the thrust from the gas piston. It is made of aluminum and the action bars are steel. However, it looks and operates perfectly. I think Beretta uses a plastic part in that role on the A400 and they work.

I think these guns are built on an old and proven design. Nothing fancy, just reliable. I am more concerned about my parts wearing out than any on the Tristar G2! :shock: :(

In fact, you should make it your goal to wear it out! That would be quite an accomplishment I believe. Good luck!

I doubt I could afford to try and wear it out.

I do wish the bolt was chromed though. On my plain black model the finish is a bit rough, it doesn't affect function but that would be my preference. Yesterday I added a Hi-Vis Compsight to replace the factory sight.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:14 pm 
Crown Grade

The bolt on mine is polished steel and not chromed.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:16 pm 
Field Grade

oyeme wrote:
The bolt on mine is polished steel and not chromed.

Yeah, I think I'd like that better on mine. It has a matt black non-polished finish.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:57 pm 
Crown Grade

Another 50 rounds today at Black Wing through the Viper. Flawless. Mix of Estates and Gun Clubs. 38/50. Beautiful weather here in central Ohio. Get to shoot first registered trap targets Sunday. Haven’t shot registered since September.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next