ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: BROWNING CITORI 725 AND FEDERAL SHELLS
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:07 pm 
Utility Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
Polaris49 wrote:
I Just purchased a beautiful Browning Citori 725 Trap Combo with 32" and 34" barrels. The former owner tells me the gun does not like Federal shells in the lower barrel and will often fail to fire them. The problem reportedly is not present in the upper barrel which shoots Federals just fine.

It isn't rational to compare Wally World promo loads to AA's. Federal makes more shotshell loads than any ammo manufacturer in the world. Have you tried any Gold Medal Grand loads? That's a more reasonable comparison-- and you won't have any problems.

I haven't tried any Gold Medal Grand loads but will check them out. I took the gun out today and gave it a good workout and it shot flawlessly with everything I put in it. Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:26 pm 
Utility Grade

captjsjr wrote:
I’ve never had this “ light primer strike “ issue on any of my Brownings and Have used countless manufacturers shells. So are the shells really the problem ?

I don't really know. I just bought the gun and the previous owner told me the lower barrel would FTF sometimes with Federals. I haven't been able to reproduce the problem with any factory loads, (including Federals) but did have a light primer strike once with a reload which was likely my fault.
I shot about 4 boxes of shells today (Federals, AA's Fiocci & Estate) with no problem at all. Like yourself, I've never had problems my other Brownings. I'll just keep shooting it and see what happens. Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:09 am 
Limited Edition

Polaris, get a good magnifying glass and check the pins, then check from time to time to see if anything is developing...I know, seems like overkill, but then you know if you do or do not have any problems.
I had issues with Rio primers and worked my way through my stock of shells that way; swapped out the beat up stock pins for J&P, then kept an eye on them.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:44 pm 
Utility Grade

28ga. wrote:
Polaris, get a good magnifying glass and check the pins, then check from time to time to see if anything is developing...I know, seems like overkill, but then you know if you do or do not have any problems.
I had issues with Rio primers and worked my way through my stock of shells that way; swapped out the beat up stock pins for J&P, then kept an eye on them.

Thanks 28ga., I'll do that. Checked them out after my last outing and they looked to be in good shape. I've also ordered a spare set of firing pins from J&P so I'll be ready in case something does develop.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:23 am 
Tournament Grade

I have tried J&P pins/spring kit, nice put together kit but $58

Browning Pins and springs very inexpensive from Browning -lower pin from Browning $6.50, return spring $2.50 upper pin $5.50, retaining pins $2.25 and they match Browning spec.

J&P also has a pin kit, Fire Pin kit same stuff except you dont get retaining pins $48.00

Best just to avoid shells that have the harder primers, Estates, Fiocchi, and some others, check your primers and look for burn through's, they take there toll on the pin. no burn through no problem.

There is another post in here that has fire pin specs that protrude past breech, its a large spec, Im currently experimenting with the length, the spec for a 725 was 40 to 55 thousands, thats a large spec, I currently have it at 48 thousands and been having no problems so far, more updates in future

Caesar Guerini Summit Trap Combo 32/34"
Winchester Model 59 Winlite 30"full 12ga
Ithaca Gun 36"12g
Pride of Spain10g
NRA LifeMember since2000

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:46 pm 
Field Grade

We rented a 725 on the clays course today. Too many ftf on the bottom barrel. We were using Federal Top Gun. Off center pin strike and drag.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:51 pm 
Tournament Grade

Interesting; I had not heard of this. I purchased a lightly used 725 in December from a shooting buddy. I keep a spreadsheet of every round fired out of my clays guns. I now have 700 rounds through this one - Rem Gun Clubs, Winchester Xtra lite target, Rem Clay & Field, Herters, and Federal. No issues so far.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:21 am 
Diamond Grade

sturley187 wrote:
We rented a 725 on the clays course today. Too many ftf on the bottom barrel. We were using Federal Top Gun. Off center pin strike and drag.

Did you inspect it for damage to the pin? Past use of hard, brittle primers very likely had already damaged the firing pins, shortening them. Never heard of pin drag complaint before. The bottom pin has a rebound spring to retract the pin. Maybe that was damaged or missing. With range guns you have no idea how they have been maintained, used or abused.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:43 am 
Field Grade

We didn't spend any time diagnosing it since it was a rental. We just used the Beretta 694 and let the range manager know.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:11 am 
Tournament Grade

Top guns shells are NOT the problem, The fire pin on lower barrel probably eroded/pitted away from previously shooting other brands, and having a burn through condition, 2 every 100 shots. once the pin has been eroded its not going to grow back, It will fire some shells and others give you light strikes, the problem occurred with different shells, possibly Estates, Winchester Universal any shells that use Hard Primers, (possibly Cheddite primers)?

Caesar Guerini Summit Trap Combo 32/34"
Winchester Model 59 Winlite 30"full 12ga
Ithaca Gun 36"12g
Pride of Spain10g
NRA LifeMember since2000

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:34 am 
Utility Grade

Sorry to be so late to this thread. I had the same problem as the OP this month with my 525 16ga and Federal Game Load shells (purple hull, high brass, #8). I shot skeet and went on a couple of dove hunts this past month. From reading here, elsewhere, and looking at my primers, here is my novice opinion:

1. The lower barrel's primer strike comes in at a slight angle.
2. The Federal primers are just hard. Seating depth of the primer was consistent.

My Win209 reloads show a deeper strike, as do the Win Super X I have. It's just the Federal primers in the lower barrel. I have maybe a 1 in 10 FTF.

The pic below is trying to show the depth of a Win209 strike in my lower barrel vs 3 Federal primers.

-B

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:36 am 
Diamond Grade

You might want to upgrade to a better grade Federal shell. I use a lot of Federal Top Guns (just got 30 flats of them) and I re-checked the primers. They all use a brass primer cup (not steel) very similar looking to the Win 209 primer in your photo. The steel cups (as in those 3 silver primers in your photo) tend to be harder and more brittle and are more prone to piercing. The same thing can be found with Estate ammo. The white box Estates loaded in France use a hard steel primer cup, the beige box Estates are made at the Federal MN plant and use a softer brass cup.

ps Forgive me if my primer nomenclature is off. When I say "cup" I'm referring to the primer's striking surface.