ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shotgun for older woman with shoulder issue
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:42 pm 
Utility Grade

Hello,

I would like to buy a shotgun for home defense. I am 66 and have shoulder pain and 2 prior rotator cuff surgeries. I am 5'7", with longer arms.
I would appreciate any advice or recommendations as to what shotgun might be least painful for an older woman with a bad shoulder.

Thank you!

Post subject: Re: Shotgun for older woman with shoulder issue
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:17 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Candi P wrote:
Hello,

I would like to buy a shotgun for home defense. I am 66 and have shoulder pain and 2 prior rotator cuff surgeries. I am 5'7", with longer arms.
I would appreciate any advice or recommendations as to what shotgun might be least painful for an older woman with a bad shoulder.

Thank you!

Why a shotgun? How many shots do you want or think you might need? How often could or would you practice using and shooting the gun?

A revolver (handgun) would likely be less expensive and would give you 5 or 6 shots and no shoulder pain. If penetration of stray bullets is your concern, you can buy ammo with "pre-fragmented" bullets (in other words small pellets) that do a good job on humans at close distance without the danger of penetrating several walls and injuring someone you don't want to injure.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:27 pm 
Utility Grade

I have a Ruger 38 special in a bed holster, and carry a XDS 9 mm. My aim at the range is fine, but the range is not realistic. I'm not sure I would be able to hit an intruder with my handgun in a real situation. A shotgun seems like it would offer more protection by increasing my chances of hitting the intended target. I probably would not practice much with it if it hurt my shoulder.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:03 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Candi P wrote:
I have a Ruger 38 special in a bed holster, and carry a XDS 9 mm. My aim at the range is fine, but the range is not realistic. I'm not sure I would be able to hit an intruder with my handgun in a real situation. A shotgun seems like it would offer more protection by increasing my chances of hitting the intended target. I probably would not practice much with it if it hurt my shoulder.

For home defense shotgun, I would typically recommend a 12 gauge or 20 gauge for most people. However, for someone with a shoulder problem who is extremely sensitive to recoil due to shoulder problems, I would recommend a 28 gauge. The 28 gauge is large enough to still be effective at close range, but has considerably less recoil than either the 12 or 20 gauge.

A good 28 gauge semi-automatic shotgun that I can recommend is the Tristar Viper G2 with a 26" barrel. It holds 5 shots and recoil is quite mild. It's also light enough that it doesn't require a lot of strength to handle. These guns can typically be purchased new for less than $600. Here is a link to their website.

https://www.tristararms.com/firearm-sea ... B%5D=28+ga

You can find them from several online dealers who will ship the gun to your local FFL dealer for background check and you pick it up from the local dealer.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:57 am 
Crown Grade

Ulysses wrote:
Candi P wrote:
Hello,

Thank you!

Why a shotgun? How many shots do you want or think you might need? How often could or would you practice using and shooting the gun?

A revolver (handgun) would likely be less expensive and would give you 5 or 6 shots and no shoulder pain. If penetration of stray bullets is your concern, you can buy ammo with "pre-fragmented" bullets (in other words small pellets) that do a good job on humans at close distance without the danger of penetrating several walls and injuring someone you don't want to injure.

Handguns are scarce everywhere; and a revolver is one of the hardest to master. In her scenario, a 410 semi using some of the new SD rounds (initially developed for those 410/45 handguns) might be a better alternative.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:44 pm 
Utility Grade

Thank you for your advice and recommendations, I am grateful for the info. I will look into these options.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:28 pm 
Utility Grade

Ulysses wrote:
Candi P wrote:

For home defense shotgun, I would typically recommend a 12 gauge or 20 gauge for most people. However, for someone with a shoulder problem who is extremely sensitive to recoil due to shoulder problems, I would recommend a 28 gauge. The 28 gauge is large enough to still be effective at close range, but has considerably less recoil than either the 12 or 20 gauge.

A good 28 gauge semi-automatic shotgun that I can recommend is the Tristar Viper G2 with a 26" barrel. It holds 5 shots and recoil is quite mild. It's also light enough that it doesn't require a lot of strength to handle. These guns can typically be purchased new for less than $600. Here is a link to their website.

https://www.tristararms.com/firearm-sea ... B%5D=28+ga

You can find them from several online dealers who will ship the gun to your local FFL dealer for background check and you pick it up from the local dealer.

Thank you! Do you have any recommendations for ammo for the Tristar Viper G2 that wouldn't penetrate several walls?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:56 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Candi P wrote:

Thank you! Do you have any recommendations for ammo for the Tristar Viper G2 that wouldn't penetrate several walls?

Yes. You want pellets that are large enough to do the job at close range, but not so large as to penetrate several walls. My recommendation would be to buy shot size #4, or #5, or #6. At close range (say across the living room or down the hallway), it wouldn't make much difference which of those you choose. My first choice of those would be #4, but any of them should do well on the typically dressed intruder inside your house.

The brand (Remington, Winchester, Federal) won't make much difference, but whatever you buy, make sure to shoot a box or two of that ammo through your gun to make sure it functions reliably. You also need to give your new gun a good cleaning and lubrication with gun oil when you buy it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:06 pm 
Utility Grade

Ulysses wrote:
Candi P wrote:

Yes. You want pellets that are large enough to do the job at close range, but not so large as to penetrate several walls. My recommendation would be to buy shot size #4, or #5, or #6. At close range (say across the living room or down the hallway), it wouldn't make much difference which of those you choose. My first choice of those would be #4, but any of them should do well on the typically dressed intruder inside your house.

The brand (Remington, Winchester, Federal) won't make much difference, but whatever you buy, make sure to shoot a box or two of that ammo through your gun to make sure it functions reliably. You also need to give your new gun a good cleaning and lubrication with gun oil when you buy it.

Thank you so much...I am grateful for such thorough advice. I have found a good price on the Viper G2 and a range nearby where I can practice with the shotgun.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:44 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Candi P wrote:
Ulysses wrote:
Candi P wrote:

Thank you so much...I am grateful for such thorough advice. I have found a good price on the Viper G2 and a range nearby where I can practice with the shotgun.

SUPER! The Viper G2 is a highly regarded, yet reasonably priced, shotgun that is well respected by the overwhelming majority of members of this site. I have one too in 20 gauge. Very nice guns and great buy for the money. You'll enjoy shooting it.

BTW, buy yourself several boxes (or a case) of shells in #8 or # 7 1/2 size shot and enjoy shooting the gun at your local clay target range. Clay target shooting is quite addictive and we could always use another addict. :wink: Save the larger size shot (#4 through #6) for the serious occasions, but do try them out to make sure they work in YOUR gun before relying on them for self defense.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:24 pm 
Crown Grade

Personally, you need to be able to STOP the threat, not necessarily kill him/her but I still wouldn't go any smaller than #2 birdshot, and preferably #1 buckshot. 00 and 000 will go through sheetrock very easily. You still want penetration, especially if the perps are wearing heavy clothing.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:23 pm 
Limited Edition

You may have already made a purchase, but I would suggest looking at a Remington 11-87 Sportsman 20 gauge compact shotgun. It is made in the USA, is a gas operated semi auto with a steel receiver to help cut down on recoil, has a short barrel, and comes with a shorter stock. If you do not need the shorter stock you can put a slip on recoil pad on the gun to help reduce recoil and add an inch of length to the stock.

I would go with a 20 gauge just to be able to purchase a much wider variety of shotgun shell loadings. 20 gauge shells are easy to find and about half the price of 28 gauge or .410 shells.

My first choice for home defense shotgun shells would be buckshot. There are 20 #3 buckshot pellets in a 2 3/4" 20 gauge shotshell.