ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What can you tell from Ithaca Model 37 Serial #
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:52 pm 
Field Grade

Good evening all !

I’ve posted a few times since joining this week and I am really learning a ton and enjoying reading about all of these great Ithacas.

I have a 1973 12 gauge Model 37 with a 28 inch barrel (no vent rib) and a short barrel (20 inch I think). I’ve been reading about the fact that there are so many different variations and grades of the Model 37 so I am wondering what else I can learn about mine.

How would I find out what grade of wood I have or anything else - would the serial number be the key to finding out all of that info ?

For now I just know I’ve got a beauty that I will enjoy for years to come and eventually give to my boys !

Joe

Post subject: Re: What can you tell from Ithaca Model 37 Serial #
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:49 am 
Crown Grade

Sounds like you have the field grade.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:07 pm 
Crown Grade

Okinawa wrote:

I’ve posted a few times since joining this week and I am really learning a ton and enjoying reading about all of these great Ithacas.

I have a 1973 12 gauge Model 37 with a 28 inch barrel (no vent rib) and a short barrel (20 inch I think).

I’ve been reading about the fact that there are so many different variations and grades of the Model 37 so I am wondering what else I can learn about mine.

How would I find out what grade of wood I have or anything else - would the serial number be the key to finding out all of that info ?

Welcome to SGW, Joe ! ! {hs#

A picture is worth a thousand words...…

The SN will give you the DOM, but not models/features.

If the 20" bbl has rifle sights, it's a Deerslayer barrel.

If that Deerslayer barrel is original to the gun, there should be factory-mounted sling loops on the forward end of the magazine & on the buttstock.

If the sling loops are there, you most likely have a Deerslayer (model) with an added field barrel.

If the sling loops are not there, then you most likely have a field gun with an added Deerslayer barrel.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:04 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks guys ! I will get a pic posted soon as I can ! Happy almost 4th to all !

Joe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:55 pm 
Limited Edition

I can tell you date of manufacture with a SN. That will also tell you a few things like if the barrels are to be hand fitted or not. Also some of the early 70's guns are not of the best quality I am told. Before and since seem to be OK. Like has been said... a picture tells us a lot about what model. Does it have the deluxe forend or the corn cob etc?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:38 pm 
Field Grade

My serial number is 371391703

Here is a quick pic but I will post more when I can, hopefully this weekend. I don’t think this is the corn cob for end, am I correct ?

Also interested to hear more about what you think about quality and why and if there may be anything I should inspect and potentially replace/fix. My gun was manufactured in Ithaca, NY. I thought guns coming out of the original location were regarded as best quality, but I know very little compared to you all so interested to learn more.

Thanks !

Joe

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:53 pm 
Limited Edition

Looks like 1973 or 1974

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:04 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks. I believe I called the new IthacaGun Co. before I bought mine and they said ‘73 was my year.

I’ve read about some quality issues with this guns that have SN’s starting with 38 (mine starts with 37) but even those seemed easily fixable.

Very curious to hear if you think mine has any known quality issues based on SN, based on year (1973), based on being manufactured at original Ithaca, NY location, etc

Thanks again !
Joe

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:06 am 
Diamond Grade

No know issues in general for that year to my knowledge. You have what would of been at that time field grade. Over the years the "niceness" of the field grade has changed. For your era a deluxe model would probably have a vent rib barrel, a factory fitted recoil pad and perhaps a gold trigger.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:38 am 
Diamond Grade

Welcome aboard; you'll find plenty of great info and helpful advice on this board.

If you're new to Ithaca 37s and really want to get up to speed, there's no better resource than Walt Snyder's book:

https://ithacagun.com/product/ithaca-fe ... ters-book/

Walt is also a sponsor for this forum, and he is very generous and forthcoming with his knowledge and insight. Having literally "written the book" on the Ithaca 37, he has had access to all of the data about the original Ithaca Gun Company.

Enjoy your new gun, and welcome to the club.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:23 pm 
Diamond Grade

From the pictures you have a very nice gun. Just a warning Ithacas don't like some of the cheap shells Herters and Winchester Universals (Walmart) come to mind. Even my Ohio made hates em. If you use them it's not your gun if you have problems.That gun will outlast your Grandkids if that tells you anything about it's quality. Shoot it alot,shoot it often,and keep it clean,and enjoy the heck out of it. I gave the exact same gun to my oldest daughter after I put a lefthand safety in it and she loves it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:22 pm 
Tournament Grade

Mine is: 381003250

I cannot find it anywhere?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:59 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Thor5 wrote:
Mine is: 381003250

I cannot find it anywhere?

1974, according to this source. Look under Model 37 All Grade Guns:

https://diamondgunsmithing.com/VSN.html

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:05 pm 
Crown Grade

ohio mike wrote:

Just a warning Ithacas don't like some of the cheap shells Herters and Winchester Universals (Walmart) come to mind.

AND, no matter what ammo's used, don't short-stroke in the heat of the moment -
cycle it like it owed you money...…