ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Utility styled shotgun at the clay range?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:52 pm 
Field Grade

Do you take your utility styled shotgun out to the clay range?

Continuing our spring and summer of self-isolation, I've been giving my Marine Magnum Tac14 as good of a workout as I can muster....lately it's had me seeking practice on the skeet range which I thought I would share in the hopes it motivates others to take their utility shotguns give them a skeet workout:

https://youtu.be/9jGvKTmDV9w

Would love to read about your adventures at the clay range with your utility styled gun!

Thanks for watching,

Best wishes,

Brobee

Post subject: Re: Utility styled shotgun at the clay range?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:35 pm 
Tournament Grade

I used to shoot a lot of skeet with my Benelli M4. Beating guys with Krieghoffs was the most fun. It was known as the assault skeet gun. I break it out once and a while for a round of 5-stand now.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:14 pm 
Field Grade

I used to see this all the time at a range near Chicago. Might as well practice with every gun in the safe.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:09 pm 
Diamond Grade

I’ll occasionally take my 870p out and shoot a round of skeet , my brother will bring his ksg .
Figure it’s good to stay proficient.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:25 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing.

For me s a short barrel just does not swing well. While a 20 inch is near perfect for using buck shot and slugs in the field, it is pushing the limits of length for home defense. It stinks on the skeet range or the dove field. I am partial to the "Long Tom" barrels popular in the early 1960's. My father in law has a vintage Wingmaster with a 36" barrel that I covet. Something about the momentum of the extra weight out front smooths out the swing for me.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:24 am 
Crown Grade

Sure, why not?

Sure The Purists will look at you askance, then go outshoot them and REALLY torque them off.
:)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:34 am 
Crown Grade

OldStufferA5#1911 wrote:
Sure, why not?

Sure The Purists will look at you askance, then go outshoot them and REALLY torque them off.
:)

I love seeing that when it happens. It is all I can do to keep a straight face. {hs# :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:47 pm 
Tournament Grade

Nice shooting!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:54 am 
Limited Edition

Not allowed at the range I shoot skeet at. Must use a "proper" gun. Quoted from the rules on their web page. "No riot guns allowed. (Gun must have a full stock and a minimum 21" barrel)"

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:10 am 
Field Grade

cyphertext71 wrote:
Not allowed at the range I shoot skeet at. Must use a "proper" gun. Quoted from the rules on their web page. "No riot guns allowed. (Gun must have a full stock and a minimum 21" barrel)"

There are a couple of skeet and sporting ranges like that around where I live too...so I put together a beater 870 with a 21 inch vented rib turkey barrel and a factory 3 round mag extension. It's turned out to be kinda my favourite gun.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:59 pm 
Field Grade

Brobee wrote:
cyphertext71 wrote:

There are a couple of skeet and sporting ranges like that around where I live too...so I put together a beater 870 with a 21 inch vented rib turkey barrel and a factory 3 round mag extension. It's turned out to be kinda my favourite gun.

Yes Brobee. My turkey gun is a mid-90's factory 870 SP with 21" Remchoke barrel. When not turkey hunting, it does double duty as one of my home defense guns with a IC choke installed. Also, with the IC choke it always goes along as a backup gun for our dove hunts. A few years ago, my friend's son-in-law's new Franchi semi-auto broke a firing pin (I think) on our opening day hunt. I gave the kid my 21" turkey gun to use and he limited out on doves that day.

Anyway, I have used this gun to shoot 100 rounds of sporting clays twice, just for the heck of it. I didn't score as high I normally do with my Beretta but it was still fun and still very respectable. It's true that the shorter barrel doesn't swing as well but still very effective.

By the way I enjoy your videos!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:07 pm 
Crown Grade

cyphertext71 wrote:

My 11R riotgun has a "full stock" wood too. :mrgreen:

My Toros 2000 I brought back from Turkey in 2002 has a full stock (if I don't fold it), and if I put the external choke tube on it (full), it goes from 20" to about 23". :mrgreen:

I have a non-folding plastic stock for it (came with it (both)), never put it on except for the trip to/through customs. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:30 am 
Limited Edition

OldStufferA5#1911 wrote:
cyphertext71 wrote:

My 11R riotgun has a "full stock" wood too. :mrgreen:

My Toros 2000 I brought back from Turkey in 2002 has a full stock (if I don't fold it), and if I put the external choke tube on it (full), it goes from 20" to about 23". :mrgreen:

I have a non-folding plastic stock for it (came with it (both)), never put it on except for the trip to/through customs. :mrgreen:

I do find it strange that I can not shoot my 870 there. It has a standard wood stock with an 18.5" barrel. It is a 1959 Wingmaster... a classic! However, they have never said anything about me shooting a Mossberg 500 youth model 20 gauge or a Remington 11-87 compact model. These are both decked out with the youth stock with no spacers and 20" barrels, and both are typically loaded with buckshot for home defense, just like the 870.