Shotgun Forum banner

Why hasn't this sold yet?

20K views 20 replies 17 participants last post by  tresamigovizslas 
#1 ·
MX8 SC3, 4 barrel set, 32 inch - been listed now for a couple of months

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/872406852

New, I'm estimating around $30k.

Price too high I guess and the seller won't come down is all I can think of.

#3 ·
Crimson_Guy said:

Personally, I`d say that`s a pretty good guess :)

#5 ·
Tidefanatic said:
Crimson_Guy said:

Personally, I`d say that`s a pretty good guess :)
I'm an expert at tautological reasoning. :D

#8 ·
I have an SC 3 about that age. I was told that to replace it it'd be $21,000. I do not have the other bbl sets. I think the price is a little high but not crazy high. My guess , too , is the likely buyers would order their own gun(s).

#9 ·
So I called a local dealer recently to price up a new barrel set and the price was such that now I'm seriously considering ordering one of my own.

(Not going to divulge the name of the dealer or the actual price he quoted me except to say that the "Just buy new for the same money" comment seems accurate)

The dealer suggested that if I wanted an MX-8 and have shot an MX-8 and liked it (which I have), then I would like a High Tech even more for slightly more money. Anybody here disagree with that? I've found a lot of reviews of the HT and most of them are positive about the gun itself, the main negative points I've heard are mostly about the cost and the aesthetics.

Can someone share an opinion on this? I don't know anyone around here with a High Tech so I can't just go out and shoot one.

#10 ·
Crimson_guy,
I have had several very nice MX-8's and unfortunately traded them over the years, and really enjoyed each one of them, GREAT GUNS.
I bought a Perazzi High Tech Sporting about five months ago from Pacific Sporting Arms,
20 gauge, 32" C.T. barrels, adjustable comb, weights 8 lbs. 4 oz. , and let me tell you this is a keeper.
You will not be disappointed in a PERAZZI HIGH TECH.
Go to Pacific Sporting Arms website, click on Perazzi, then click on NEW, and USED, both have plenty of High Techs to look at, and the used will even show the prices (MAKE SURE TO CLICK ON EACH PICTURE TO SEE MORE PICS & DETAILS).
Best,
Breakemall
Western North Carolins

#11 ·
I have a High Tech, an MX 8 and an MX 2000. I see no "extra" in the High Tech over the other 2.

#13 ·
It's not the best market for premium or luxury goods. I was amused the other night when flipping around on the TV, and came across one of those auto auctions. The American muscle cars were still reasonably priced and moving well, but then came the Very Old Guy with his ~15 year old Ferrari.

Lovely car, but I've never seen an auction languish for so long while the seller couldn't decide whether or not to remove the reserve price and sell it for $150k. The auction folks huddled around the old man for what seemed like eternity and I couldn't make out all the words, but toward the end it started to get a little heated. I believe "poop or get off the pot" or similar words to that effect were used.

It's possible that the fellow took a beating on a luxury good during a recession, but Adam Smith's invisible hand doesn't care about anyone's feelings or retirement dreams. The market is what it is.

At the other end of the financial spectrum, my Mother in Law is often tempted to do the same thing when she (rarely) has a garage sale or considers selling something on the city Facebook page. Often these are truly nice products like higher end sewing machines which have deprecated more than she would like. She'll tell my wife what it originally cost and what she "thinks" it should be worth, and we have to remind her that she has two choices: face the reality of the market place where the supply and demand curves intersect, or have the delusion that she is "trying to sell" something when all she's really doing is telling the general public what she wishes her stuff was worth to them.

Show me an advertisement or auction for a gun (car, FSBO house, etc.) that has been out there for many months without movement, and I'll show you a person who doesn't realize he's really doesn't have an item 'for sale'.

#14 ·
HenryVac said:
It's not the best market for premium or luxury goods. I was amused the other night when flipping around on the TV, and came across one of those auto auctions. The American muscle cars were still reasonably priced and moving well, but then came the Very Old Guy with his ~15 year old Ferrari.

Lovely car, but I've never seen an auction languish for so long while the seller couldn't decide whether or not to remove the reserve price and sell it for $150k. The auction folks huddled around the old man for what seemed like eternity and I couldn't make out all the words, but toward the end it started to get a little heated. I believe "poop or get off the pot" or similar words to that effect were used.

It's possible that the fellow took a beating on a luxury good during a recession, but Adam Smith's invisible hand doesn't care about anyone's feelings or retirement dreams. The market is what it is.

At the other end of the financial spectrum, my Mother in Law is often tempted to do the same thing when she (rarely) has a garage sale or considers selling something on the city Facebook page. Often these are truly nice products like higher end sewing machines which have deprecated more than she would like. She'll tell my wife what it originally cost and what she "thinks" it should be worth, and we have to remind her that she has two choices: face the reality of the market place where the supply and demand curves intersect, or have the delusion that she is "trying to sell" something when all she's really doing is telling the general public what she wishes her stuff was worth to them.

Show me an advertisement or auction for a gun (car, FSBO house, etc.) that has been out there for many months without movement, and I'll show you a person who doesn't realize he's really doesn't have an item 'for sale'.
I also think your Mother In Law is running into what I call the "garage sale mentality". That is the phenomenon that at garage sales you could sell a dog turd wrapped in tinfoil for a $1.00, but you could not sell a pound of 24 carat assayed gold for $100!

In other words, the things that are of value do not sell well in garage sales, but the literal garbage will always find a buyer if it is cheap enough. I think that is because at garage sales people don't expect to find or buy anything that is really valuable and have a price ceiling bias. Seen it many times so I think it is much better to try and find the niche segment that appreciates whatever you are trying to sell and place an ad there.

#15 ·
oyeme said:
HenryVac said:

It's possible that the fellow took a beating on a luxury good during a recession, but Adam Smith's invisible hand doesn't care about anyone's feelings or retirement dreams. The market is what it

I also think your Mother In Law is running into what I call the "garage sale mentality". That is the phenomenon that at garage sales you could sell a dog turd wrapped in tinfoil for a $1.00, but you could not sell a pound of 24 carat assayed gold for $100!

In other words, the things that are of value do not sell well in garage sales, but the literal garbage will always find a buyer if it is cheap enough. I think that is because at garage sales people don't expect to find or buy anything that is really valuable and have a price ceiling bias. Seen it many times so I think it is much better to try and find the niche segment that appreciates whatever you are trying to sell and place an ad there.
Garage sale mentality, will offer .10 cents for the turd.

#17 ·
Mr_D said:
If I could justify dropping 40 large on a shotgun I would jump on a plane and head over to Italy for some in person shopping. Grab some good chow and wine while I'm there.

But I'm funny like that. :)
+1

#18 ·
I think the reason it has not sold is the heavy barrel weight. 1.7 kg. Step ribs don't help either. Chokes appear to be thin walls, not factory. For the money it is not far off. New 12 ga with 100 engraving is close to 18k. Each extra barrel is $6k. Forend iron engraved and wood are at least $2000 each. So retail would be well over $40k. Oh and wait for over a year at least. Sub gauge Perazzi barrels are crazy so my $6k per barrel is probably light. I have seen 32 inch 28 ga barrels at over $8k. All it takes to sell that gun is one buyer. Tire kickers need not apply.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.