Shotgun Forum banner

Alcan paper hulls

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Burnt Powder 
#1 ·
I picked up 100 Alcan unprimed old but unused paper hulls. Does anyone remember these and can advise about proper wads, powders, and Recipes. I searched the usual sources but Alcan did not pop up. They appear smaller than Federal papers, then again the Federals I have are well used.

Thanks,

John

#2 ·
Any data for those would be most likely data using card and fiber wadding. If I was going to load them, and there is no reason not to, I would use data for the Federal Paper Champion hull. As long as the hulls are in good condition and not been swollen due to moisture, they will work perfectly with the right load. I wish I had a bunch to reload with hunting loads. I like them for hunting just in case I can't or miss picking up a hull in the field.

#3 ·
Look for a copy of Lyman's 2nd Edition Reloading Manual on Ebay. I don't have my copy with me at the present time but I think it lists those hulls in the hull identification section. I remember seeing Alcan powder and reloading components in various load recipes.

#5 ·
I have some data in a Lyman's #1. All of it uses primers and powders that are no longer available as well as all fiber wads. Upon examination of the illustrations for the Alcan paper hulls and the Federal paper hulls, it appears that you could possibly use Federal Paper data. This will offer up more modern component selection. You could always load up some and send for testing. That will give you some results and several less hulls to load.
If you just want some loaded for display, put together some inert loads filled with sand. They will look fine and never be dangerous. Otherwise you will spend a pile of money to load shells that might get 2 more reloadings before they burn through.

#7 ·
Back then data was mostly, if not entirely, not hull specific. Then when plastic gas seals first appeared & even on into the beginning of plastic hulls appearing on the scene, there was usually two sets of data. One for fiber wads & one for plastic wads. I have the old Speer no. 8 manual that was printed in 1970. It has Alcan data listed with Alcan components except that it does list data for other hulls but no data for paper hulls. I didn't even know Alcan ever made a plastic hull but it says "12 ga. 2 3/4" PLASTIC ALCAN & FEDERAL (PAPER BASE WAD)", under one of the headings. The only data I see for Alcan paper hulls is from Hercules. I agree with the ones that say use data for the Federal paper hull. That is what I would do & never look back!

#8 ·
I would try and load one of the Alcan with the same components that you use when you reload the Federal papers. As long as the wad column height is similar and the load crimps fine, you have your loading data.

#11 ·
In the USA, we have the idea that each hull must have it's own loading data.....Nice thought, but probably a little anal retentive for straight wall plastic or paper hulls. Especially for 3/4 oz. to 1 1/8 oz. lead target loads.

Paper hulls are all pretty much the same except for basewad heights. Small differences don't mean much, but a much taller basewad can. Generally for target loads a small amount of basewad height difference that doesn't require a lot of wad pressure has a negligible affect on chamber pressure.

IMHO we get too carried away with some details that don't have any real affect on ballistics.

If you look at some Euro data the hull brand isn't mentioned......look at the actual Vectan data (not the stuff done for Graf's).

https://www.nobelsport.it/en/area-downl ... n?catid=92

#13 ·
I've loaded a lot of the old Alcan papers, still have several boxes of factory loads too. Use Federal paper or Fiocchi paper load data. You'll have to just make sure your stack height is correct for good crimps. Base wad height isn't exactly the same as either Federal or Fiocchi hulls but kind of like the Post Office; "If it fits, it ships"!

BP

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.