ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: switching between guns
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:04 pm 
Field Grade

I switched up guns today. Normally shoot a citori cxs for clays, but shot yesterday and the gun got very wet as rain blew up and I was at the very back of a sc course. I wiped her off as good as I could and drove home. By the time I got home there was some rust forming on the ejectors and barrel. I immediately took her apart, cleaned and oiled. As a precaution I even removed the butt stock and receiver. After cleaning I left the gun apart to air out. I went this afternoon to shoot trap and 5 stand but brought my M2 field gun. My trap scores were terrible. Then at 5 stand my first round was a 16, my average is 21 out of 25 birds. My second round I hit a 24, which is the highest I've shot at this particular 5 stand set. Any tips on adjusting when mixing up guns like this? I know some people go to shoots and have different guns for subgauge vs main event etc. Some guys at my club will shoot several different guns each day just for fun. I wish I was better at mixing it up like this.

Post subject: Re: switching between guns
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:10 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Derrick Mein is a pro you may have heard of. In addition to being a top team USA sporting clays shooter, he also qualified for the current US Olympic trap team. What many don't know about him is he is also a stellar ZZ shooter. My point here is now simple to make: he shoots the same gun (a Kolar) for all of those games, and the only changes he makes are the chokes to suit whichever game...

Most pros have a BUG (Back Up Gun), though few use them regularly; they are on hand for emergencies only.

NSCA #617422

When the mind is right, the body will find a way...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:40 pm 
Crown Grade

To second Jack, if consistent performance is your objective don’t switch between guns unless you have to. If forced into a backup situation as you were, accept the results for what they are, “one off,” and get back to your primary gun as quickly as you can.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:43 pm 
Crown Grade

A small difference is likely the result of a gun that doesn't fit or swing like the gun you are accustomed to shooting. A large difference in scores is probably because you allowed the fact that you were shooting a different gun get into your head and it negatively affected your shooting.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:06 pm 

Location: 35 miles from Normal, Illinois (as close to normal as I'll ever be)
It's all in how you spin it. If your average score is 21, you would expect to break 42/50, on average. You broke 40/50 - not far off. But, which of the two scores is the anomaly? The 16, or the 24? Maybe the 16 is the anomaly, and the 24 is more normal for this gun. Maybe over time you will shoot more 24's than 16's with this gun..... or not.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:56 am 
Crown Grade

My shooting is always just for fun, never punches or anything like that. I also own around a dozen old SxSs I enjoy shooting. All of them have about the same stock dimensions, so they shoot pretty much the same, so I'm always grabbing a different one every week [ we shoot three times a week ]. I'd have to say if you want to get good or better, stick to one gun.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:03 pm 
Field Grade

I shoot my Beretta 686 Onyx Pro Sporting for everything.
I have a Beretta 686 Onyx Field gun I keep and bring as a backup.
Have only needed it once after a screw on the forearm came lose and I didn't have a long enough screwdriver to tighten it back up.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:40 am 
Limited Edition

Variety is the spice of life for me. I have the Beretta 686 in 12,20, & 28ga. I have success with all three because they have the same fit and sight picture for me. That was my way of enjoying the variety without sacrificing my scores. I have a few Beretta gas guns as well. Same story..they are Berettas and fit me the same.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:48 am 
Crown Grade

Presuming proper fit, most shooters will experience best consistency if they pick one gun and use it pretty much exclusively.

There are exceptions. I have known people who seemed to be able to pick up anything, fit or not, and shoot it well. I am not among them

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:00 am 
Diamond Grade

I would surely give up some birds switching around like that. Not that i'd want to shoot my clays gun in the rain....have considered a backup gun like an a400 but when i shoulder them the feel is soooo different i think it would be tough to adjust.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:54 pm 
Tournament Grade

If winning does not matter and you are shooting for fun-help yourself. If pride, money, punches etc are on the line-shoot one gun for clays.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:42 am 
Limited Edition

I practice I switch between guns regularly, I have 5 that I'm always using to keep them all familiar, I shoot about the same averages with each. I have a dedicated skeet gun, a dedicated trap gun, a dedicated sporting gun, a field gun and 2 sub-gauges. The one sub-gauge only gets shot a visit or two before a tournament I plan to use it at, the other I'm still getting used to. The field gun is my only semi and I shoot it for fun. When I have a tournament coming up, whatever I plan to shoot with is all I will shoot for the 2 visits before the tournament.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:35 pm 
Tournament Grade

I shoot for fun every weekend and typically take a different gun and/or caliber every weekend. I have my favorites; but part of my enjoyment is shooting something different. If I did it for a living or was only looking to win a competition, I would likely only shoot one; so I get that too.

I once shot in a competition with a SxS 20 gauge with a borrowed gun that a friend handed me in the parking lot and asked if I would shoot with him. I still keep thinking about buying one; it was just a good fit for me. I was happy with that score since I had never shot it until I got to the first station.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:13 pm 
Diamond Grade

I shoot clay targets as a reason to shoot lots of different shotguns and gauges. If I was going to compete, I'd buy the best and best-fitted gun I could afford, and shoot it exclusively.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:27 pm 
Presentation Grade

If you believe in fitting the gun to you, not yourself to the gun, then all your guns should, by definition, fit you exactly the same. It might be because of initial similarity or after purchase modifications. There will be weight distribution and swing differences, but fit should not be an issue.