ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I feel like a nubby(idiot) but learning
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:58 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have been hunting for 20+ years and today I learned something, I think? It has to do with the rib. My dad is not a hunter so my first gun I bought myself was a 12 gauge 11-87 when I was 18. I shot that gun vey well and when I switched to an SBE II I never shot it as well. Being and experienced hunter but inexperienced in the finer points of gun fit, whats important and basically the difference between the two different rib options. I guess there are really 3 different types but for my purposes only two really matter.

Did I not shoot the sbe II well because of the stepped rib and the gun naturally shooting high?

I shot he 11-87 for 15 years then the sbe. About 4-5 years in I took the sbe to Southern Louisiana and mid way through a bad shooting day the guide talked me into shooting his Maxus. The next birds into the decoys I ended up with a double and was immediately sold. I bought a Maxus and never looked back. That was about 8-10 years ago. Since then I bought an a400 light and i shoot that well too. I still did not realize the rib could be the difference.

I am trying not to drag this out you long but I also have an m2 20 gauge In max 5 that I was never comfortable shooting like the sbe but wanted to keep it as my 20 gauge waterfowl gun.

I got into turkey hunting about 5-6 years ago and I turned my sbe II into a dedicated turkey gun with a red dot scope. I just bought a Montefeltro 20/26 in Bottomland to be my dedicated turkey gun and I am about to receive it next week. Here is my actual question, should I turn the M2 into my dedicated turkey gun because of the raised rib? And make the Monte my bird gun? I think I know the answer already but I am appreciative of your input.

Post subject: Re: I feel like a nubby(idiot) but learning
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:40 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Twodog wrote:
About 4-5 years in I took the sbe to Southern Louisiana and mid way through a bad shooting day the guide talked me into shooting his Maxus. The next birds into the decoys I ended up with a double and was immediately sold. I bought a Maxus and never looked back. That was about 8-10 years ago. Since then I bought an a400 light and i shoot that well too. I still did not realize the rib could be the difference.

I am trying not to drag this out you long but I also have an m2 20 gauge In max 5 that I was never comfortable shooting like the sbe but wanted to keep it as my 20 gauge waterfowl gun.

I got into turkey hunting about 5-6 years ago and I turned my sbe II into a dedicated turkey gun with a red dot scope.

It sounds like selling the M2 is obvious.

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:42 pm 
Tournament Grade

Are you able to switch back and forth between the different rib styles? Or do you prefer one more than the other? Can you refer me to a good article with a little more detail? I am not really sure why certain guns have a flat rib and others don’t?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:43 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Twodog wrote:
Are you able to switch back and forth between the different rib styles? Or do you prefer one more than the other? Can you refer me to a good article with a little more detail? I am not really sure why certain guns have a flat rib and others don’t?

Myself, personally . . . yes. I shoot flat rib, stepped rib, and no rib at all.

In order, A-5 Mag Twenty (no rib), 870 Wingmaster 20 gauge (flat rib), Benelli Vinci (stepped rib), Benelli M2 20 gauge (stepped rib). If the shotgun shoots where I look, the rib means nothing to me.

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:14 pm 
Limited Edition

I would say it is about gun fit, not the rib. I can shoot certain guns well. I change barrels to change chokes. I have 20 gauge plain barrels and flat rib barrels. In 12 gauge I have plain barrels and step rib barrels. They all point and shoot the same to me. There are certain guns that many people like. I couldn't shoot them worth a darn. They don't all fit the same.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:23 pm 
Presentation Grade

newel,

IMO it's more than just the different type Rib, I believe you need to have your guns professionally fit for your shooting needs. More than likely you shoot well with your guns that fit you better. Understand that Trap guns do not shoot the same as flat shooting field guns the Rib is only part of what needs to be looked at.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

NRA Life Member/NRA Instructor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:22 pm 
Limited Edition

Pine Creek/Dave wrote:
newel,

IMO it's more than just the different type Rib, I believe you need to have your guns professionally fit for your shooting needs. More than likely you shoot well with your guns that fit you better. Understand that Trap guns do not shoot the same as flat shooting field guns the Rib is only part of what needs to be looked at.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

I don't believe the different ribs are the problem. I believe the problem is the fit of the gun. If I gun fits me, I dont care if it has no rib, a flat rib, or a step rib.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:10 pm 
Tournament Grade

I appreciate all of your input and agree that the gun probably dose not fit me correctly. I think the M2 is going into the turkey blind while the new Monte will be my bird gun. After looking at all of my guns in the safe, the ones I shoot best have the flat rib.

I plan to shoot them side by side and try to shim the M2 to get a better fit but a red dot scope on a dedicated turkey gun is the most likely outcome. Especially if the Monte is as sweet of a shooter as I have heard. Thanks again