ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Just bought a NIB old stock 48 AL Deluxe 28ga.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:35 am 
Diamond Grade

The shotgun is new, old stock. I purchased a 20ga. 48 AL Deluxe like that last year. The 20ga. has "Made in Spain" on the barrel and "Made in Spain" on the receiver.

The photos of the 28ga. I just bought shows "Made in Italy" on the barrel and receiver. It does not have a gold trigger but is designated a deluxe on the right side of the receiver and appears to have what I'd say was A grade wood. Does anyone know when production was shifted to Spain?

Being an older, Italian-made example, I'm curious to how this little 48 AL had remained NIB and unsold for so long. It does appear to have fairly unattractive wood with the fore end looking considerably lighter than the butt stock. I haven't yet seen it in person, so that may not be the case.

I'm eager and anxious to get the new Franchi in hand!

Edited to correct/update information

Last edited by desmobob on Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Just bought a NIB old stock 48 AL Deluxe 28ga.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:37 am 
Limited Edition

Sounds awesome. Congrats and post pics when you can.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:50 am 
Diamond Grade

1KPerDay wrote:
Sounds awesome. Congrats and post pics when you can.

Thank you! I'll post photos when it arrives.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:53 am 
Crown Grade

How do you like the gun ?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:25 pm 
Diamond Grade

28 gauge wrote:
How do you like the gun ?

I'm loving it. :D It's better looking than the photos that were in the ad. I'll try to take it out and get some photos of it tomorrow.

There was one small catch (and I figured something was fishy, as the gun was an older Made In Italy version but still NIB). It was missing the governor ring. And, believe it or not, I had a hunch that might be the case. Before I purchased the gun I checked to see if those parts were still available and they were, from MGW and Numrich Arms.

It uses the same governor ring as the 20ga. 48 AL, which I also have, so I picked up a couple of them (less than six bucks each), along with another friction ring and spring, so I'll have a back-up set for either gun.

I brought it to the skeet club to break it in and performed perfectly for three rounds. During the fourth round, I had a dead trigger. It cycled the shell but didn't cock the hammer. After working the action several times, it finally cocked. It worked fine after that. When I got home and cleaned it, I found a small chunk of Styrofoam packaging material from the shotgun's box wedged in the trigger group. Problem solved.

A call to Franchi with the serial number reveals the gun was made in 2007. It sat on a shelf for 13 years!

The grouse season opens a in couple of weeks and I'll be carrying it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:03 pm 
Crown Grade

Good to hear that you are so happy with your 28 gauge Model 48AL.Have always been very pleased with mine.Have shot everything for the heavy 1 ounce loads to the light 2 1/2 inch shells.When shooting the light 2 1/2 inch shells I had to reset the rings for those light loads,so it would function properly .

Yep dirt of any kind can play heck with a firearm action.Styrofoam or other wise.:)

Not sure when my gun was made.It has the choke tubes,so it would be one of the later guns I am sure.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:16 pm 
Diamond Grade

It seems like every time I buy a semi-auto shotgun, the bolt handle has chewed a hole in the Styrofoam box top during shipping... the thin layer that sits on top, and sometimes through the cardboard, too. And the guns ship with the forearm assembled but the barrel off. So... some of the chewed up bits of Styrofoam end up inside the action. I installed the new governor ring and swabbed the barrel out before running off to the skeet club with the new 48 AL, but neglected to inspect the rest. My bad.

You can call Franchi with your serial number or e-mail customer service if you're curious as to when your gun was made. I keep a file with my firearms' serial numbers, dates of purchase, purchase prices, and if different from the purchase date, date of manufacture.