ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: WINDJAMMER WAD
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:58 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

It seems that for given loads use of the Winjammer (or clone) results in somewhat lower chamber pressures.. fact? or am I reading wrong..... Larry

Post subject: Re: WINDJAMMER WAD
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:28 am 
Presentation Grade

Sometimes. Hodgdon shows same pressure and powder weight for 1 1/8 oz @1200 with 700x for WW and Windjammer wads. Sometimes pressure is a little lower. I like them, use them in 12 and 20 gauge.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:52 am 
Limited Edition

Many loads that I have seen published over last few years list the WJ wad producing a little less pressure than Winchester or Remington branded 1 1/8 ounce target wads with the same components other than wads.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:42 am 
Tournament Grade

That is my experience also. When searching for low pressure loads for a light European SxS, it seemed that the WJ wads routinely indicated lower pressure.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:04 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Hi Larry,

I like the real Windjammers better than the CB clones.

If you buy them direct from Windjammer they are even less expensive than the CB wads.

The chamber pressure seems less in most cases, always has been.

When I was shooting trap I used a pile of those in Winchester hulls. For me, with either 1 1/8 oz. or 1 oz. loads in tapered wall hulls they are very equal to the real Winchester wads and the clones.

aka Mr. Tactful.
NSCA#544066

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:26 am 
Crown Grade

When I lived in the Denver area from 1983-1990; Windjammer had just started becoming available locally. We used them because we could go to their manufacturing facility and pick up large case lots for a pittance. Don't remember exactly but I think it was $25 for 5,000! At that time, the only load data available was the one provided by Windjammer in each bag. This all resulted in my having loaded many thousands of Windjammer wads

In my experience, Yes, they do seem to generate lower pressures. We always thought it was due to their lighter weight and "softer", more pliable plastic, but don't know that for a fact. The main problem with using them is that their eight petal design was sometimes a bit of a pain during loading because after being stored for a time they would take a "set".

We learned to put a whole bunch in a pillow case and tumbled them on very low heat to get the wad's petals to all stand up properly.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:18 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have Grandads 1894 Rem sxs, sn 120xxx, engraved and beautiful. He shot red dot and fiber wads through the Damascus barrel but told me it could shoot the "new" ammo. I was 5 or 6 at the time so who knows what "new" meant as that was 70 years ago. I am thinking a bit of red dot and a windjammer might be just fine... Have to check chamber length though as a friend told me it might be less than 2 3/4"...... Larry

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:48 pm 
Crown Grade

dogchaser37 wrote:
Hi Larry,

I like the real Windjammers better than the CB clones.

If you buy them direct from Windjammer they are even less expensive than the CB wads.

The chamber pressure seems less in most cases, always has been.

When I was shooting trap I used a pile of those in Winchester hulls. For me, with either 1 1/8 oz. or 1 oz. loads in tapered wall hulls they are very equal to the real Winchester wads and the clones.

^^^^^^^^

Original WJ, best of the bunch, great patterns and less recoil than the clones IMO. It's all I load now in either 1 oz. or 1 1/8 oz.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:05 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Looks like I will need to order through a vendor, the site I found for WJ directs me to a list of folks.
Just orders some, If I cannot figure out something for Grandads gun, no problem as I have a bunch of AA HS and old AA one piece I can load for trap...
Mark, did you load in the HS or old AA?
Larry

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:34 pm 
Presentation Grade

I have loaded them in old and new AA, Remington hulls, and old Federal Champion II hulls. I prefer either real Windjammer or the DownRange.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:51 pm 
Crown Grade

WJ are good wads, but depends what machine you are running them through.

Hence any machine that inserts the wad, then drops the shot at the same time, your golden.
In a PW machine where you insert the wad in one station, then drop the shot in the next, if you do not have the wad ram set perfect (trying to compress the wad at all), you going to end up with problems via the pedal pulling off the ID of the hull and ending up with shot between them and the hull.

As for where WJ wads come in play best, is when you need a slightly shorter hull in say 20 gauge to get the wad height stack perfect with the bottom of the crimp fold line for a perfect crimp, and not a big fan of the DRV-20 instead.

On the left, we have a true Win wad meant to be used with spherical dense power, and will just not work (shot height to high) with bulker powders. Next to it, CB wad that works well for the HS hulls with bulker Unique type power for 7/8oz at 1200fps. Now if you switch over to STS hulls, the CB wad is slightly too long, and here the yellow DVR-20 or Blue WJ20 , are the perfect lengths for unique at 7/80z 1200fps instead.

Simple put, above 60% of the loads you will find in reloading data, do not fit the hull correctly. Hence does not end up with the top of shot line in the wad, with the wad not compressed at insertion and just kissing the power, to end up at the crimp fold line in the hull. So when the shot line is below the fold line, you end up with dished crimped. When the shot line is above that fold line, the crimp just ends up tenting out over time instead.

So to short bus it, although you still need to work with the data, sometimes the problem is a simple solve as just changing wads with light adjustment to power, to maintain the speed your trying to load to in the end.

So it comes down to a favorite load doing a few things.
If fits the hull correctly for an ideal crimp,
Does not try to rattle the fillings out of your teeth so you can run flats of ammo at any time (or just louder than it needs to be in the case of longshot power),
And it breaks the targets hard at your intended speeds!