ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Montefeltro 20ga - Experience
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:48 am 
Field Grade

I am leaning towards picking a Montefeltro 20ga up for mostly hunting and the occasional backyard clay shooting. I also considered the Beretta 390/1, but am leaning towards the Benelli. Am I missing a better shotgun in this price range? Also, where have you found the best deals? I am wanting the walnut stock.

Post subject: Re: Montefeltro 20ga - Experience
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:49 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The Monte 20 is an excellent field gun. I bought a used one with the case in like new condition for $600. Of course there are gas guns that are excellent too, but for pheasants , I’ve found that the Monte suits me to a T.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:53 pm 
Diamond Grade

have owned both and don't believe you can do any better for a wood/blued gun with the possible exception of the Ultralight. Look hard enough and you may find a Legacy for a hair more $$ but they are discontinued.

Now for a plastic gun the M2 20ga is one hell of a shooter.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:10 pm 
Diamond Grade

Couple friends have montefeltro in 20 ga. They’re very reliable guns. I have a legacy in 20 ga, it’s a great shotgun.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:56 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks for the replies. I haven't looked into the legacy yet.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:57 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have a Montefeltro 20 and a Beretta 390 20. Ill take the Beretta any day of the week. If you by chance in Eastern KS my Montefeltro is for sale. I wont ship it. It is a camo gun however.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:32 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

KS_waterfowler, what are the reasons for the Beretta preference?

Jim

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:12 pm 
Diamond Grade

I have a Montefeltro, 390, and 391. For hunting, I think whichever model feels better to you would be best. For clay shooting, I find the Beretta gas guns are more reliable with light target loads.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:46 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

A few years ago I went to Argentina for dove shooting. The outfitter rented me a Montefeltro 20 that I proceeded to put in excess of 5000 rounds through it in about a week. They told me that in their business that they had fewer problems with the Benelli guns than with other gas guns. The rental guns would go a couple of years with that punishment before they retired them. At the end of the day the bird boys would take all the guns apart, mix up the parts and wash them in kerosine, then reassemble them for the next day. That’s why I bought one and I’ve been very happy with it. The outfitter was H&H out of Nebraska.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:03 pm 
Crown Grade

I don't think you can beat it for a 20 gauge field gun. It's actually lighter with the 26" barrel than my Remington Model 17. I have both the 12 gauge and 20 gauge and I have sporting barrels for each. They are my all purpose guns.

Attachment:
Benelli 12 and 20.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:51 pm 
Tournament Grade

jrmev wrote:
KS_waterfowler, what are the reasons for the Beretta preference?

Jim

Felt recoil, Benelli Click, Fit. Yes I let it slam shut. I reckon it got bumped against a layout blind door or something. Not new to inertia as my son shoot an Affinity. This is my first and will be my only Benelli. I've shot 390s since 2005ish.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:16 pm 
Crown Grade

Send it to me, I’ll kick in a buck, and pay shipping:-)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:25 am 
Field Grade

I ended up picking up a Montefeltro.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:06 am 
Diamond Grade

Did you get new or used?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:35 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Buy a used one at 1/2 the new price. In my opinion the new ones are vastly over priced and will quickly lose much of their value

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:30 am 
Field Grade

I bought one new for $900. The used prices I found were not much less than that for the 20ga. I found some decent used prices on the 12ga though.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:22 pm 
Diamond Grade

bwpkck wrote:
I ended up picking up a Montefeltro.

Congratulations. I bought a 12ga. Montefeltro last year as my first inertia-action semi. I love it. Shoot and enjoy your new Benelli in good health!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:22 am 
Utility Grade

casonet wrote:
A few years ago I went to Argentina for dove shooting. The outfitter rented me a Montefeltro 20 that I proceeded to put in excess of 5000 rounds through it in about a week. They told me that in their business that they had fewer problems with the Benelli guns than with other gas guns. The rental guns would go a couple of years with that punishment before they retired them. At the end of the day the bird boys would take all the guns apart, mix up the parts and wash them in kerosine, then reassemble them for the next day. That’s why I bought one and I’ve been very happy with it. The outfitter was H&H out of Nebraska.

My experience in Argentina was virtually the same with the 20 ga. Montefeltro. I did, however, learn that gun # 8 would shoot high and right. After that the birds started raining down. The bird boy I worked with had no concept choke tunes and IC was the only choice. Cleaning seemed to consist of liberally spraying whatever oil was laying around into the action at breaks and cycling the action. I never has a malfunction the entire time.

I liked softness of recoil after thousands of rounds and got one of my own upon returning home. It has proven reliable as well.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:21 am 
Limited Edition

I have to echo the replies about the Montefeltros in South America. Guns are super expensive in Argentina due to their import restrictions and other factors.(over $2000 USD) The Benelli 20’s are the gun of choice down there. The outfitters can keep them running reliably for hundreds of thousands of rounds with easily understood maintenance. No other autoloader can compete over the long haul. You will see some Beretta A300’s in 12 gauge for use in the duck blinds, but just a few. The 391/400 series of Berettas have a complicated gas system that is much more difficult to clean and the Monte’s just keep on ticking. The 686 Silver Pigeon O/U is the go to break open gun in SA! It’s the O/U equivalent of the Benelli semi! Tough and trouble free.