Shotgun Forum banner

Anyone mount sights on Shockwave or Tac14?

13K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  bmore 
#1 ·
Just wondered if anyone had mounted rifle sights on a Shockwave or Tac14?

I would think an X/S front bead and their wide V rear sight would help with speed and pattern placement.

Anyone have experience with this?

#8 ·
With shot of any diameter the front bead is all you need. This is because your eyes will be focused on the threat and the front bead will function like a red dot. (I actually painted mine day glow orange). It should sit right on top of the barrel and center mass of the target. Any other sight arrangement is slower to use. No matter how "tactical". Remember, the Shockwave is a gun, not a rifle. You don't aim it, you point it just like shooting skeet.

#9 ·
Let me add this:

These "firearms" provide absolutely no performance advantage over a full sized shotgun. They are harder to shoot accurately, kick like a mule, produce lower velocity, increased blast, flash and noise.

The ONLY advantage these little beasts offer is the fact that they are short enough that you can actually maneuver one in your car, smuggle it into your motel room or stash it behind the counter at work and that satisfies the first rule of gun fighting: Have a gun.

The only way to make these a practical self defense weapon is not some sighting gimmick, it is serious range time and some more gym time would not hurt either.

The old line that these are for "serious shooters who's other hobby is weight lifting" is absolutely true.

If you are the typical over weight, out of shape over 50 diabetic you should probably leave them alone.

#10 ·
IMHO, it's more a Point and Shoot type of a gun. Get a 100 value pack of bird shot, then pick the biggest room in your house and walk around blowing stuff-up, phone, lamp, kitchenAid mixer, you'll find you can hit just about everything. Think of it as a pirate weapon protecting your ship/home. It is small enough to maneuver inside your home. You could get woken up in bed and be firing from bed (the butt stock would get in the way here), and they aren't going to grab the barrel and take it away from you,,,, I mean they can try

#11 ·
For such a precision shooting instrument as that one needs at least a 4-20X variable with an adjustable objective lens and 1/8" click adjustments. To withstand the pounding of such a fine firearm, I would recommend a Nightforce scope as they are TOUGH!. :D

Seriously though, some of these questions crack me up. Those weapons are point and shoot. The only sighting aid I can think of that would be at all useful is a laser sight. Just put some buckshot loads in that thing, put in the corner of your bedroom or under the bed and hope the heck you never have to shoot it.

#12 ·
Ezra Smack said:
Let me add this:

These "firearms" provide absolutely no performance advantage over a full sized shotgun. They are harder to shoot accurately, kick like a mule, produce lower velocity, increased blast, flash and noise.

The ONLY advantage these little beasts offer is the fact that they are short enough that you can actually maneuver one in your car, smuggle it into your motel room or stash it behind the counter at work and that satisfies the first rule of gun fighting: Have a gun.

The only way to make these a practical self defense weapon is not some sighting gimmick, it is serious range time and some more gym time would not hurt either.

The old line that these are for "serious shooters who's other hobby is weight lifting" is absolutely true.

If you are the typical over weight, out of shape over 50 diabetic you should probably leave them alone.
{hs# These are real-world words of wisdom.

#15 ·
Here is an over 50 Guy That would take exception to the Internet Commandos comments about the shockwave and being older ,as if that makes any difference.

This guy has forgot more about defense and Killing than most will ever know.

I have a Shockwave 12 Gauge that Has a Crimson trace saddle mounted Laser and a Streamlight Protac 1 Rail mount Weapon light mounted on top of the Laser mount.

Using Winchester Super X 00 Buckshot at a 5 Yards the pattern is a little over 5 inches,at 7 yards a little over 5 inches and at 10 Yards (max shooting distance in my home)a little over 7 inches.
Laser adjusted to the pattern.
From the Hip or whatever the position just Put the laser dot where you want to hit and its a done deal.
Without using the Laser and just the center of the Weapon light as the reference Point it hits close enough to ensure good hits.

The Firearm is compact and easy to use Inside my Pickup or inside the house.

Now Making comments about over 50, out of shape ,Diabetic people must sound funny in your own mind to you.
That just shows your immaturity .

I am 60 Years old,a little overweight,Diabetic ,had 2 heart attacks and a triple bypass,and emphysema. So What ,That Makes absolutely no when it comes to self defense or Combat or so Called Tactical firearms .

If I ever have a low life criminal break into my house I am not going to challenge them to an arm wrestling contest or a fistfight.

I am going to use a weapon to stop them before they Harm or kill Myself or my Wife.

#16 ·
I have the Tac 14 version since I'm more familiar with that platform. I've added several things since purchase, a strap on the forearm, a Meprolight night sight bead and since I kept the M Loc forearm I was able to add a Streamlight TLR-2 with a green laser.

I have co-witnessed the light/laser and the Meprolight bead and everything places the shot load together al all distances that I'm likely to shoot within my home. I have about 300 rounds through the gun and feel confident and comfortable that it will serve its intended purpose.

#17 ·
On another forum a guy did some mods and testing. I think a trigger job and some barrel work (maybe cone lengthened, polishing sort of stuff) and put a red dot on it. Using a sort of modified Creedmore position and some good slugs it was surprising what he could do at 100m and iirc further.

IMO a big old bead up front is where it's at. If you want to put rifle sights or a red dot and see what you can do with it I say go for it and post your results.

#18 ·
Your front bead serves the same function as a red dot. Both eyes on the target, bead or dot superimposed. I installed a day glow orange light pipe on mine. Works just like a red dot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.