Shotgun Forum banner

Grabber station 1

3K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  DEG 
#1 ·
Bought a used grabber 5 years ago. For the most part it has been a good machine. What problems I have had have been solved by Curly's tips. But, recently when I place a shell in the first station, even if it is aligned correctly, it just doesn't drop down to be "grabbed"/resized. A flick of the finger makes it drop, but I don't see anywhere it could hang up. Any tips would be helpful. Also, looking for a used auto indexing machine...MEC, Ponsness etc. Any websites that tend to carry more of these? Thanks for any info.

#2 ·
Look very closely at each of the fingers on the sizer collet and make sure one of the fingers is not pushed in slightly. You could have a piece of stray shot stuck somewhere in the collet. I had the same experience but in my case it was a broken collet finger.

#6 ·
All good advice above; sometimes I know I have to raise the handle just a little bit to get the hull to drop all the way down.

#7 ·
DanG said:
I make it a habit to grasp the shell between thumb and forefinger and push it down in the collet sizer even if the shell drops freely. Takes no more time to do that and it positively ensures the shell rim won't be crushed.
Assuming you have a free hand to do this. With an automate I need hulls to fall when it's supposed to fall because both hands are busy holding buttons on the down-stroke.

#9 ·
YevetS said:
In the long run, setting up a press correctly takes less time then the "work a rounds" you guys come up with. How many of you would put up with a gun that only worked as well as your press?

Steve
I recently had problems with my Mec 9000 and did not have the time and temperment to deal with it. I sent it to Steve and it works better than when it was new. As stations work as advertised including the bar lock feature. In some respects they are a complicated machine, but when adjusted right they appear simple.

#10 ·
YevetS said:
In the long run, setting up a press correctly takes less time then the "work a rounds" you guys come up with. How many of you would put up with a gun that only worked as well as your press?

Steve
Yes, but fixing it correctly might involve a bit of reading, a bit of thought about what was read and a little bit of incentive to actually work on something. Quit a large order for many folks that want instant gratification without actually doing any of those things I mentioned.

#11 ·
wrfish said:
YevetS said:

Steve
I recently had problems with my Mec 9000 and did not have the time and temperment to deal with it. I sent it to Steve and it works better than when it was new. As stations work as advertised including the bar lock feature. In some respects they are a complicated machine, but when adjusted right they appear simple.
Thank You!

Steve

#12 ·
Check that none of the collet fingers are broken and that all are returning to to outside diameter. I had the very same problem on a 28 ga Sizemaster and it was due to a sprung collet with two broken fingers.

#14 ·
If its an older grabber supposedly MEC quit making the collets. I did hear there was a "other collet" or work around to replace them.
Personally I think MEC just didnt want to admit the old grabbers were as good as the new ones, maybe better in some ways. By discontinuing the collet for them I think they were looking ahead for more sales of the new ones.

#15 ·
rosiesdad said:
If its an older grabber supposedly MEC quit making the collets. I did hear there was a "other collet" or work around to replace them.
Personally I think MEC just didnt want to admit the old grabbers were as good as the new ones, maybe better in some ways. By discontinuing the collet for them I think they were looking ahead for more sales of the new ones.
Lets clear something up here.
The collets on all MEC machines have always been the same based on gauge. Old Grabber, new Grabber, 9000 or SizeMaster same collet.
What did change for the better was the closer unit on the new Grabber (8567 version). This version has the adjustable nut to control the finished size of your brass. This closer unit is easily installed in the older Grabbers if you should ever need too. It is definitely an improvement over the older style collet which was truly non adjustable for size if you wanted the machine to index correctly.

Steve

#16 ·
YevetS said:
rosiesdad said:
Lets clear something up here.
The collets on all MEC machines have always been the same based on gauge. Old Grabber, new Grabber, 9000 or SizeMaster same collet.
What did change for the better was the closer unit on the new Grabber (8567 version). This version has the adjustable nut to control the finished size of your brass. This closer unit is easily installed in the older Grabbers if you should ever need too. It is definitely an improvement over the older style collet which was truly non adjustable for size if you wanted the machine to index correctly.

Steve
I will say you have much more experience with MEC reloader parts than I do, but the series of grabber I am referring to is the 76 series. There is NO part nr shown for the 12 ga collet at this time on the mec website. (I believe the part nr is 1008009-available on ebay) Other gauges are shown on the mec website just not 12ga. I was told by MEC support that when the current collets were gone, MEC would have NO MORE for this series of loader. Support said that for this grabber series, they are different in the current series.
Not saying if you got the collet and closer assembly for a newer grabber, it wont work on the 76 series. But I was told they are different collets.

#17 ·
rosiesdad said:
but the series of grabber I am referring to is the 76 series. There is NO part nr shown for the 12 ga collet at this time on the mec website..
I see that, and I believe that is an oversight (error) on MEC's part because all the other collets are listed with the same part numbers as the current number, 1008080 then followed by the 2 numbers to indicate gauge. I have been replacing the 761, 762 and 762(R) collets with the same one as in my 9000's for a long time. Those collets work with the old or new style closers.

Another error on MEC's site, when looking up the info above I found the 9000 listed in the "Discontinued Models" link.

Steve

#18 ·
YevetS said:
rosiesdad said:
but the series of grabber I am referring to is the 76 series. There is NO part nr shown for the 12 ga collet at this time on the mec website..
I see that, and I believe that is an oversight (error) on MEC's part because all the other collets are listed with the same part numbers as the current number, 1008080 then followed by the 2 numbers to indicate gauge. I have been replacing the 761, 762 and 762(R) collets with the same one as in my 9000's for a long time. Those collets work with the old or new style closers.

Another error on MEC's site, when looking up the info above I found the 9000 listed in the "Discontinued Models" link.

Steve
Very good information Steve, Thanks. This has to be a "Left handed move" by MEC to get you to upgrade to a new loader.

#19 ·
For the 76 series of the Mec Grabber, the 12 gauge collet is part #8009 or #1008009 in their new numbering system. That is for use with the non-adjustable collet closer. Now you have their part number so that you can search in other places.
The old Gamaliel Shooters Supply has it not. I just called and checked.
I found one on Ebay for $79
One MeC part# 8009 on ebay
The guy knows what he has and it is priced accordingly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.