ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Legacy Sport
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:22 am 
Crown Grade

Awaiting delivery on a NIB Legacy Sport 28in model. I have a walnut stocked M2 that I shoot clays with and I do well with it. I have shot Beretta 391's for years but at my age, cleaning them is getting old. The M2 has spoiled me in that regard. I found one with nice wood and I'm really looking forward to it. Anyone with experience with this gun, feel free to comment.

Post subject: Re: Legacy Sport
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:05 am 
Field Grade

I have a legacy and an ethos like the legacy better, they are a very nice shotgun. Steve!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:31 am 
Crown Grade

Thanks, Steve. Some reviews I have read mention recoil as the gun weighs 7.5 lbs but that's about the same as my M2 and I don't notice any undue recoil with that compared to my gas guns. The Ethos, I believe is even lighter, so I wonder why they would offer that in a target version.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:28 pm 
Diamond Grade

Love Benelli but they are a parts bin company. ‘Slap that barrel on that receiver and call it a sporting model’. They build 6lb 20s and 7lb 12s. Pick a flavor but don’t think the ‘sport’ version was designed ground up to be a volume clays gun.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:28 pm 
Limited Edition

birdhunter39 wrote:
Love Benelli but they are a parts bin company. ‘Slap that barrel on that receiver and call it a sporting model’. They build 6lb 20s and 7lb 12s. Pick a flavor but don’t think the ‘sport’ version was designed ground up to be a volume clays gun.

My FIL had one of the first Sports brought into the Country. He read an article about it in the American Rifleman and placed an order for one. Living in Bradford County, Pa. Philly was the nearest place and it took several months for it to come in. He couldn't stop talking about it before and after he got it. Was advertised as the do all gun, one that would work for clays and in the field hunting and that is what he did with it. Once he got it that was the only shotgun he used and used it for everything. Until he died shooting it in Sporting Clays down in Rock Mountain in a triples event. Had a massive heart attack they told me he was dead before he hit the ground.

He shot at least 4 rounds of skeet a week all year and most times twice a week. At somewhere around the 60K round mark it started to have ejection issues. I happened to be back with him at the time and we took it out to the barn and tore it apart. Had to put a torch on the nut for the recoil spring to break the loctite free. Both spring tubes were full of seed heads and dried grass and other debris from hunting grouse and phez over the years. Cleaned it up and stretched both springs back out. Worked flawlessly again. I have it in my safe but my son, his grandson, will get it eventually. Must have somewhere around 100K through it now.

It is 28" and I prefer my 30" Cordoba when I use a SA for clays. But I could do without the holes Benelli decided to put in the end of a perfectly good barrel.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:38 pm 
Crown Grade

I was going to protest the statement that it was not designed from the ground up as a sporting clays gun. After all, it has holes in the barrels, doesn't it ?