ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Can someone help me figure out how well used this 1100 is?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:43 pm 
Field Grade

Well used, overly loved, worn out. ect... :P

I just wanted to get an idea how worn out it is. My initial thoughts was it was used only for hunting and I wouldn't think it has more then a few thousand rounds in it. But I also have no idea what I am doing!

Also that is the lowest/cheapest grade wood right?

Anyways here are some pics. I can get more if needed. It is a 1972 built gun.

Just want to see if I am going to expect a lot of life out of it still or if it looks on its last legs.

Thanks
George

Post subject: Re: Can someone help me figure out how well used this 1100 i
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:16 am 
Crown Grade

Why would you think it is on its last legs?

Yes, that looks like standard grade wood.

From what is shown it does not look to be too worn to me. I would replace the O ring that is not shown, clean the split gas pistons and lightly lube the gun and you should be good to go. I would do the same to the trigger assembly. Make sure the gas ports are clean with a pipe cleaner. Assemble properly especially the link that fits into the cup of the stock action spring tube.

The only area you should also check before buying the gun is the barrel for any dents, bulges, etc. The barrel extension and the bolt locking recess will be where you will see the most wear. There are some real experts on the 1100 here so you may get some other, more thorough advice.

Randy Wakeman provided a very detailed instruction some time ago on the care and maintenance of the Model 1100 by some expert/s that would be good to have. Good luck!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:37 am 
Diamond Grade

Looks nice, was it someone’s trap gun ?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:56 am 
Crown Grade

oyeme wrote:

The only area you should also check before buying the gun is the barrel for any dents, bulges, etc.

FWIW:

Dents can be ironed out to make the barrel safe to use.

Bulges are unsafe if ironed down, making a bulged barrel a required replacement (a couple of online vendors have barrels for sale),

A bulged barrel makes an excellent bargaining point when buying the gun.

The added hand carrier is IMO another bargaining chip, as any D/T'ing required to attach it lowers the gun's value.
If the carrier's epoxied on, the adhesive can be early removed via the gentle application of low/little heat.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:33 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Load it and shoot it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:21 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

With almost all the bluing intact on the mag tube it hasn't been shot very much.

[email protected]
http://www.sminglershotgunsports.webs.com

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:13 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks for the info all. I owned it for a few months and have shot it with out issue, the gas ring is brand new, why it was not in picture.

I just wanted to get an idea of the expected wear left in it since I will be using it as a trap gun and putting 10k+ rounds a year in it to start if not more. Sorry about not being clear in the first post.

Mcfarmer, it was a hunters gun I think. Had a slug barrel on it at first. I was concerned it might have some obvious signs of wear that I was missing.

Virginian, it shoots great so far! was just concerned about longevity since the gun is an older one and may have been abused! but everyone here has addressed my concerns!

Skeet_man, That is what I kinda thought but was not sure. Figured best to ask.

Oyeme, I am going to follow that complete guide. I want this gun to last me a while! It was not that I thought it was on its last legs, Just asking about the worst case to be prepared, but hoping for the best :) .

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:53 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

My original 1100 has over 115,000 rounds thru it. It is "retired" to only 12 gauge clay targets now, which I very rarely shoot. Only part not original is an extractor I had to replace in September 1982. Still runs like a Swiss watch. Will even cycle el cheapo Winchester white box from WalMart but rips a lot of bases in the process.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:20 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

George Z wrote:
I just wanted to get an idea of the expected wear left in it since I will be using it as a trap gun and putting 10k+ rounds a year in it to start if not more . . .

At that rate of use, your gun should be good to go for another 10-20 years or so. Maybe another 30, hard to say . . . you might need to replace the recoil spring somewhere along the way.

BTW, have you calculated what you will have spent on ammo in five years at that rate of use? A replacement gun, if ever necessary, would be chump change in comparison . . . 10,000 rounds is 400 boxes . . . figure $4 per box (it will be more), you're looking at $1,600 a year to feed it. That doesn't include range fees . . . By comparison, you can buy a used 1100 on Gunbroker for $400-$500 (any cheap 1100 will do, just swap your barrel) . . . the gun is the cheapest part of the game.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:17 am 
Field Grade

Virginian, That is really promising info. I tend to try to take care of my guns so hopefully I can get that type of usage out of mine!

Bladeswitcher, I have calculated it recently HAHA. When I first started shooting trap 4 months ago I had no dang idea how much the ammo and range time was gonna be compared to the gun! Now that I am finally budgeting the shotgun sports in to my monthly budget instead of from my spare money it was a kick in the gut.

I am still gonna pursue it and go as far as I can in the sport cause I really enjoy it. but that cost is such a killer. Maybe I will make such a hit on the scene someone will sponsor me clays and ammo LOL ya right hehe.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:00 am 
Limited Edition

Virginian wrote:
My original 1100 has over 115,000 rounds thru it. It is "retired" to only 12 gauge clay targets now, which I very rarely shoot. Only part not original is an extractor I had to replace in September 1982. Still runs like a Swiss watch. Will even cycle el cheapo Winchester white box from WalMart but rips a lot of bases in the process.

Can you explain why the base ripping happens? My magnum does this sometimes with high brass 2 3/4” shells.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:18 am 
Field Grade

Did you change the recoil spring? If not, do it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:26 am 
Field Grade

Looks to be in pretty dang good shape to me for a 1972 gun.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:51 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

1KPerDay wrote:
Virginian wrote:

Can you explain why the base ripping happens? My magnum does this sometimes with high brass 2 3/4” shells.

It is because of the steel bases on those shells. Apparently it springs out under firing and doesn't spring back as much as others. I would occasionally have a similar issue with other shells, but I always have it with those. Since they do cycle and I don't reload them I don't care.