ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best Roll Crimping Tool?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:13 pm 
Utility Grade

I have recently started roll crimping as it aids in feeding through my semi auto very well. I have been using a BPI Exacta Roll for my crimping and it works great, but I'm not thrilled with the finish. I also tried a GAEP otp rolling tool and it didn't work for me at all. Any suggestions for a great roll crimping tool would be welcome as is any advice. Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Best Roll Crimping Tool?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:14 pm 
Presentation Grade

I've been using the Precision Reloading tools in 10, 12 and 20. I like them well enough that the mailman brought me a 28 and 410 on Friday.

ETA- Roll crimpers work best when they are warmed up. Put 10 loads or so together then roll them all at once. Maybe even keep a scrap hull near the drill press to put some friction to it before starting.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:22 pm 
Crown Grade

Ive been using an antique.
Get one.

They are amazing.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:34 pm 
Presentation Grade

I have used a Gaep tool for finishing loads for 8-9 years that Kevin helped me get and
it has done really well in my drill press ! I agree with warming them up a little it turns out
absolutely perfect tapered loads . Don't forget put a little lube on the die now and then !

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:52 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I got one of those cheap Russian roll crimpers advertised on eBay for around $25 shipped. Took a couple months to get here but it works great. Mine is for 16 gauge.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:52 pm 
Crown Grade

Roll crimper in a small drill press, crimp them all one after another, a warm tool is your friend.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:05 am 
Crown Grade

My antiqus rto cold.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:38 am 
Limited Edition

Hal4son wrote:
I've been using the Precision Reloading tools in 10, 12 and 20. I like them well enough that the mailman brought me a 28 and 410 on Friday.

ETA- Roll crimpers work best when they are warmed up. Put 10 loads or so together then roll them all at once. Maybe even keep a scrap hull near the drill press to put some friction to it before starting.

^^^X2

I keep a dummy shell just for warming up the die before rolling. I run it on the dummy for a few seconds at high speed to warm it up. After that it runs like butter on the plastic hulls. I put a drop of light machine oil on the die after I've loaded a box, while it's still warm, so it's lubed and ready for the next time.

Stoeger Condor 12ga 20ga

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:28 am 
Crown Grade

Hand rollers are fun for a couple of shells but when I'm doing 50 or more at one time the drill press models are much easier on the wrist and hand. The ones from Precision Reloading are better than the ones from BPI because they have a couple of pins to roll over the shell, not just one. I've never had to use a lube, and why in Gods name would anyone order anything from Russia ? We make em right here in the USA and they work just fine.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:40 pm 
Presentation Grade

I've never used oil or any other lubricant. Never had an issue running the PRI model dry.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:36 am 
Crown Grade

Amen, amen.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:52 am 
Crown Grade

Lubing the roll crimper would actually REDUCE heating, which would be COUNTER to rolling the plastic hull properly.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:26 pm 
Presentation Grade

OldStufferA5#1911 wrote:
Lubing the roll crimper would actually REDUCE heating, which would be COUNTER to rolling the plastic hull properly.

Not in my 8 years of Gaep finishing my loads , The loads I Gaep finish are for Games
shoots as well as my NonTox waterfowl loads . It makes the consistency of each loads
SD so close for better performance .
I use a dab of Rem Oil on my finger and apply it to the Gaeps working end while it's
rotating in the Drill Press , it last for maybe 10 -12 shells !

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:27 pm 
Diamond Grade

I like the Precision one better than the BPI one. Precision has 2 or 4 nubs in there instead of just 1, smoother running.

Also, you can hit the tops of fold crimped shells with an rto die, I use precision, on a drill press and just round over the edges nice for smooth feeding. Don't press too hard...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:50 pm 
Crown Grade

cookoff013 wrote:
Ive been using an antique.
Get one.

They are amazing.

Beyond a shadow of a doubt!!!! I have them in 12 16 and 20ga. All produce perfect roll crimps

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:07 am 
Crown Grade

Cold hot oil or not...the RPM is going to figure in there. The press I have is too fast, even at its lowest setting. Something around 650 rpm or more. Wish I could get it to 150 rpm.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:12 am 
Tournament Grade

FullandFuller wrote:
Cold hot oil or not...the RPM is going to figure in there. The press I have is too fast, even at its lowest setting. Something around 650 rpm or more. Wish I could get it to 150 rpm.

Maybe a dimmer switch or rheostat to knock the voltage down?

tp

12/26" ATI Cavalry (hey, it shoots...usually)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:34 am 
Crown Grade

Maybe. I'm not sure if the motor type will handle that. I read into it last year, but then hunting season came. Thank God for Autumn. Then hibernation season. Then covid.

Its some cheapo china junk, from the 90s probably. Tradesman?, I think. I'm not much of an electrician beyond simple dc circuits. Something about the phase type, I didn't think I'd be able to change much.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:44 am 
Tournament Grade

Specifically, what tool is it? I'm an electrician, btw.

tp

12/26" ATI Cavalry (hey, it shoots...usually)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:10 am 
Crown Grade

"It makes the consistency of each loads"- really ? What do you mean by consistency ? FPS ? Patterns ? I don't believe for a second that one roll crimper over another make any difference what so ever other than appearance. Oil ? Speed of the drill press ? You guys are making to much of it. I use a hand drill or my table model drill press, the same one I use for drilling holes, and have never adjusted the speed. Just chuck it up - it'll work just fine. Get it warm? The first " cold " one looks as good as the last " warm ' one.
I could be wrong, and if so please forgive me, but I believe some use the Gaep tool for putting a tapper on star crimp shells and that can be done on a properly adjusted Mec, a Gaep tool is completely unnecessary.
More than a dimmer switch is needed to be able to adjust the speed of a 110v motor. Everything in your house is single phase. There's 220 and 110 voltages, but all single phase. Industry has 110 single phase and 220 single or three phase along with 440 v three phase. You can buy small electronic packages that will make a three phase motor work on single phase.
Use your old hand tools or buy one for a drill press [ and don't worry about speed ] and have at it. Roll crimps do look cool.