ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Looking for a Super X One
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:59 pm 
Presentation Grade

clark,
I for sure would go with the gun with the I/Mod trap barrel. The I/Mod barrels are rare and very hard to find and you might like the choke as is. They throw killer patterns and it is a late barrel without the screw in the rib. Skeet and IC barrels are usually more available than the I/Mod. Usually the most available barrels are 28" Mod barrels.

Also, for sure I would NOT recommend the gun with the replacement rib that we don't know where the POI may be and the real killer is a Carlson screw in choke. I know they fail and destroy the barrel.

CT

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:12 pm 
Presentation Grade

I use full choke in SC (870, M12, SX1) and have no problems, if I miss it wasn't the choke. I practice skeet with full and station 8 gets tricky. Before COVID 19 the skeet shooters wore mask if I was shooting, mask protected them from black lung haha......

The IM barrel should work, if its tight for you have it opened up a bit. I also have a 30" trap full with Briley thinwalls and tricked out 26" barrel with Briley thinwalls.

The SX1's are shooters so do what you want getting it suited for your style.

Listen to searun, get the gun if you want an SX1.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:23 pm 
Tournament Grade

I've got a PM to the guy about buying it. He is a little slow to respond. We shall see.

I'm also looking for barrels if anyone has any they want to move.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:30 am 
Tournament Grade

Well.. Trapshooters forum banned me for a day because "I used short post to get to 50 post so I could get the the classifieds"

What a joke... all my post were real post, nothing like TTT, or something else stupid.

I sent the guy my cell number before my time in timeout. Hopefully he will contact me.

If not, the NIB skeet model on here has caught my attention too. Don't know if I want to spend that much, but NIB might make me spend a little more.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:00 pm 

It will still need a new buffer unless the owner has put in a new aftermarket one since purchase.

Let us endeavor so to live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
Mark Twain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:05 pm 
Tournament Grade

Curly N wrote:
It will still need a new buffer unless the owner has put in a new aftermarket one since purchase.

That is definitely on my list to order as soon as I settle on one.

Going to buy 2 so I have a spare.

BTW, do you still shoot at Chilhowee? I am thinking about joining out there, I've been there before, but only shot the 5 stand course.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:54 pm 

Yes, I shoot most every Wed and Thursday morning. On the course at 9 am.

Let us endeavor so to live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
Mark Twain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:02 pm 
Limited Edition

cclark31 wrote:
I've got a PM to the guy about buying it. He is a little slow to respond. We shall see.

As mentioned by others, people have tinkered with the SX-1 triggers; messed with the ports in the barrels to cycle lighter and lighter loads; installed Wright's heavy rebound springs; and who knows what else.

Don't take just any barrel. Try to find out its history as much as possible. I have a vent-rib IC barrel I got from a man who was the only owner of the gun. The barrel's gas port is not messed up. He only shot skeet using target loads. At his age, he was done with shooting & walked with a cane.

I asked him about the rebound spring in the gun. Had he changed it? He said the gun always went bang. So, no, the rebound spring in the gun was the original factory spring.

There was no need to ask him about the bolt buffer... black particles fell out of the receiver when shaken on its side.

As Curly said, your new-to-you and new-in-the-box SX-1 needs to have the bolt buffer replaced even though it is NIB.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:28 pm 
Tournament Grade

Curly N wrote:

Do they change it up pretty regular? I'm in Alcoa. Don't think I'll ever get to shoot in the week because of work, but who knows?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:34 pm 
Tournament Grade

sx1 fan wrote:
cclark31 wrote:

As mentioned by others, people have tinkered with the SX-1 triggers; messed with the ports in the barrels to cycle lighter and lighter loads; installed Wright's heavy rebound springs; and who knows what else.

Don't take just any barrel. Try to find out its history as much as possible. I have a vent-rib IC barrel I got from a man who was the only owner of the gun. The barrel's gas port is not messed up. He only shot skeet using target loads. At his age, he was done with shooting & walked with a cane.

I asked him about the rebound spring in the gun. Had he changed it? He said the gun always went bang. So, no, the rebound spring in the gun was the original factory spring.

There was no need to ask him about the bolt buffer... black particles fell out of the receiver when shaken on its side.

As Curly said, your new-to-you and new-in-the-box SX-1 needs to have the bolt buffer replaced even though it is NIB.

Thanks for the advice. I'll keep it all in mind.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:52 pm 

cclark31 wrote:
Curly N wrote:

Do they change it up pretty regular? I'm in Alcoa. Don't think I'll ever get to shoot in the week because of work, but who knows?

They have two courses: 10 stations of 5 pairs which are a bit harder and 12 stations which are not as hard. Of course, you can alter the menus to make them tougher.

Mark Twain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:16 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

cclark31
I have 2 SX1's that I'm planning to sell, as I begin thinning the herd. If you are still searching, PM me, and I can give you the specifics. Basically, one is a MC comb and one is not. Both have 28" and 30" barrels; some fixed, some threaded. It's been so long since they've seen the light of day, I don't recall much else, but can look later.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:08 am 
Tournament Grade

marshfield wrote:
cclark31
I have 2 SX1's that I'm planning to sell, as I begin thinning the herd. If you are still searching, PM me, and I can give you the specifics. Basically, one is a MC comb and one is not. Both have 28" and 30" barrels; some fixed, some threaded. It's been so long since they've seen the light of day, I don't recall much else, but can look later.

Thank you for the offer.

I believe I am going to go with the one with the improved modified barrel.

I was able to contact the seller last night.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:18 am 
Tournament Grade

OK, couple of questions.

Is this the correct buffer needed?

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/446860

Also, He said "Years ago I bought a spring kit from Wright's, it came with a steel follower in the recoil spring tube, a heavy duty recoil spring and a new buffer. I didn't install the included trigger spring, and recently sent it along with spare parts to a friend of mine in Texas."

So it sounds like I would only need the buffer?

He did say that it was drilled for a shell catcher by the late Bob Baumgart for a shell catcher made of wire (not included) -- I'm not to worried about a shell catcher at this time.

Also, I am thinking about sourcing a IC barrel to have. I think that would surely cover all the clay games. I could use the IM for trap or long sporting shots (all the time if I get good with the gun) and IC would make a good skeet choke or sporting clays with changing shot size to help with close or longer shots.

Thoughts?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:54 am 
Presentation Grade

Yep right buffer, same for the white and black ones @ebay The one you show is $
31 with shipping, you can get 2 of the ebay one's for about the same price.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WINCHESTER-MOD ... SwqXRc1aVF

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WINCHESTER-MOD ... SwjyBczHex

As for barrels ? IMHO try the IM out for awhile before making the move........ :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:09 am 
Tournament Grade

Rack-N-Roy wrote:
Yep right buffer, same for the white and black ones @ebay The one you show is $
31 with shipping, you can get 2 of the ebay one's for about the same price.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WINCHESTER-MOD ... SwqXRc1aVF

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WINCHESTER-MOD ... SwjyBczHex

As for barrels ? IMHO try the IM out for awhile before making the move........ :wink:

Thanks for the links to ebay.

I forget about it at times becasue Paypal is so hell bent on not letting people buy guns or ammo...

Not a bad idea. Shoot the IM for a while. Worst thing that can happen is I miss a clay.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:16 am 
Tournament Grade

I just ordered 2 of the white ones and a 3 pack of the orings on ebay.

That should keep me covered for a while and cost less than the buffer by itself from Numrich!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:56 am 
Presentation Grade

cclark31 wrote:
Not a bad idea. Shoot the IM for a while. Worst thing that can happen is I miss a clay.

Yep and the best thing that could happen is you become master of the shot. Don't get discourage early on with scores, practice mastering your gun, mastering the shot, mastering your mind and good scores will come. When you get those 3 things down use an appropriate choke for the game if you want.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:24 am 
Tournament Grade

Rack-N-Roy wrote:
cclark31 wrote:

Yep and the best thing that could happen is you become master of the shot. Don't get discourage early on with scores, practice mastering your gun, mastering the shot, mastering your mind and good scores will come. When you get those 3 things down use an appropriate choke for the game if you want.

Thanks for the words of encouragement, I mostly use a modified choke in the field anyhow.

Should help me hit those soaring little doves as well.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:27 pm 
Tournament Grade

What does everyone do for the charging handle? Buy a spare?

Do you modify the one you have?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next