ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Remington 11-48 friction ring missing
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:08 am 
Utility Grade

I bought a used 11-48 12a (I believe made in 1962) and when I took it apart I found that the forend had the metal piece that holds the detent loosely in there and the forend slipped over it with the cap screwed down.
After looking at the parts diagram I epoxied and JB-welded the piece in the forend and connected it with the metal insert that runs the full length of the forend and the forend now stays on solid.
Looking at the diagram I also realized that I was missing the friction piece.
I have ordered one since but living in Nicaragua parts take a while to get here.
So my question is if it is ok to shoot the gun without the friction piece or will it damage it.
And just to clarify I also cut down the 26" barrel to 18.5". I have shot it since and it cycled bird, buck shot and slugs without any problem but the recoil was definitely "noticeable"
Follow up question: Will the friction piece have an effect on the recoil - I am hoping it does :)
Thank you for your help

BTW this is the gun:

Post subject: Re: Remington 11-48 friction ring missing
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:14 am 
Crown Grade

Do not shoot the gun without the Friction Piece! It’s there as a brake and without it the bolt slams in to the rear of the receiver with enough force to damage it. Also, the recoil spring can damage the bevel in the barrel ring.

Felt recoil without braking will be worse than a pump or O/U as the speeding parts act like an Accelerator. Accelerators are sometimes used on guns to increase recoil. These are usually machine guns but the Colt Service Ace used one to make a .22 feel like a .45.

With the Friction Piece the felt recoil will be greatly reduced as it is turned to heat by the braking and the rest spread out during the cycle.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:34 am 
Utility Grade

Rudolph31 wrote:
Do not shoot the gun without the Friction Piece! It’s there as a brake and without it the bolt slams in to the rear of the receiver with enough force to damage it. Also, the recoil spring can damage the bevel in the barrel ring.

Felt recoil without braking will be worse than a pump or O/U as the speeding parts act like an Accelerator. Accelerators are sometimes used on guns to increase recoil. These are usually machine guns but the Colt Service Ace used one to make a .22 feel like a .45.

With the Friction Piece the felt recoil will be greatly reduced as it is turned to heat by the braking and the rest spread out during the cycle.

Rudolph31: Thank you for the advice.
I will be patient and wait for the friction piece to arrive (even if it will be tough, it's been a lot of fun to shoot even with the recoil).
Just checked my receiver and I think I got lucky and the 100 rounds I put through it seem to not have damaged anything as far as I can see.

Will shorten the buttock in the meantime to keep me busy.
Thanks again

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:48 pm 
Utility Grade

While waiting for the parts to come in I made a rear cover for the stock and a sling from some vintage canvas I had laying around to hide the temporary cheap slip-on rubber recoil pad. Added 2 shot shell holders too:

And tried out a velcro side saddle (for now just mounted with double sided tape).
Not sure yet how I feel about it:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:07 am 
Utility Grade

Ok, I finally got the friction ring and placed in inside the barrel lug.
It feels now really hard to move the barrel up and down and when I test fired it at the first shot the barrel got stuck all the way at the back.
I turned the friction ring around to see if that makes any difference and also used some slugs but again the barrel did not return all the way to the front and also did not cycle the shell (no ejection).
I am doing something wrong?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:19 pm 
Crown Grade

It sounds like you got the wrong parts. I know that Browning friction pieces will fit a Remington Model 11, maybe they’ll fit the Model 48 as well.

The Friction Piece should be a snug fit on the magazine tube, but not so tight that it binds. I’d like to see a picture.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:31 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The magazine tube needs to be lightly oiled on these guns. A drop or two spread with your fingertips will do the job.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:34 pm 
Diamond Grade

That’s a great looking cover!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:54 pm 
Utility Grade

Thank you for all your help.
I got it to work by smoothing out the inside of the friction ring (it was a bit gritty) and oiling the magazine tube a bit on the outside (like DanG suggested).
Now it shoots bird shot, buck shot and slugs without any hiccup and the recoil is much less too.
Unfortunately I had to learn my lesson that JB Weld will NOT work to attach an LPA front sight :)
After about 10 shots I was trying to locate my front sight but there was just an empty space.
Found it in the dirt about 10 feet behind me.
I guess I have to go and find someone that can silver solder it on for me and hopefully also drill and tap my rear sight (not really trusting my old and a bit wobbly drill press with this).
I shall keep this updated as the parts are mounted.
Thank you for the nice comment on the butt stock cover.
My business is producing watch straps (mainly for high end watches and usually in vintage or exotic materials: http://hamiltonleatherworks.com ) so this was fairly easy to do for us.

On another note: just got my 2nd shotgun, an 870 Express from 1990.
Came with two synthetic stocks and a forend and two barrels (18" ribbed and 28" ribbed with chokes).
While the paperwork cleared I got some wood furniture and a 14" barrel (Big thank you to JD at AI&P Tactical) and the matching Scattergun 1-shot extension.
And - I LOVE IT - for now I only mounted the Track-Lok front sight (this one didn't come off, even after some serious shooting), but even without the rear sight I got some very decent groups with slugs at around 15-20 yards and 00 buck grouped around the size of a hand.
Here she is:

Not really sure yet if I want to refinish her and make her all pretty, I kind of like the used look.
Might just re-blue the receiver and the other barrels and maybe do a little wood maintenance.
Also got a 1.25" heavy duty rear swivel mount that I have to install and I ordered a M1 Garand canvas sling with the lift a dot quick detach (trying to do my own non-birdshead grip witness protection version).
I have the GG&G receiver sling mount but I don't think I will ever run this on a single sling set up.
But somehow the stock had a better fit with it and the metal plate than without it.

Now I need to build a nice drawer in the trunk of my SUV to store these babies (already have the RFID electronic lock for it, the rest we do in my carpentry shop)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:48 am 
Utility Grade

Wonderful post on your 11-48, I have looked up some of the other pics that you have posted on the site. Looks like you have done more work to the 11-48, and your 870. I am starting the same project on a 11-48 that I picked up with a plain barrel. I was wondering if you would share your build info again, as I see you added a few more items in your other pics.

Regards,

HM