ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: 16 GA. ON WILD PHEASANTS
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:09 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Several years ago, I had a nice Philadelphia Fox Sterlingworth and just couldn't get used to the double triggers. After a lifetime of using single trigger guns, I almost always fumbled around with the second shot. I much prefer my 16ga Citori White Lightning.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:59 pm 
Limited Edition

Don't know what to tell you guys. I could do it on my ol' 511.
I think being a teenager had something to do with it as these occurrences happened over 40 years ago.
Knowing that there were two triggers might've had something to do with it, too.
Instead of reaching up with one finger, like I would with any other gun, I reached up with two and grabbed both triggers.

Geometric - You seem to be onto something. That Stevens 511 was the only DT equipped gun I've ever owned.

Anyway, sorry if I upset anyone with my comments....just posting my experiences.

Dean

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:41 pm 
Crown Grade

Dean,
No problem, you didn't upset anybody to my knowledge. Certainty not me! Differences of opinion is part of what makes the world go round! If nobody had said anything, you wouldn't know others have had different experiences, would you? I wish you well with whatever you decide to shoot!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:09 am 
Limited Edition

Thanks Geo. =)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:24 am 
Crown Grade

DeanMk wrote:
Don't know what to tell you guys. I could do it on my ol' 511.
I think being a teenager had something to do with it as these occurrences happened over 40 years ago.
Knowing that there were two triggers might've had something to do with it, too.
Instead of reaching up with one finger, like I would with any other gun, I reached up with two and grabbed both triggers.

Geometric - You seem to be onto something. That Stevens 511 was the only DT equipped gun I've ever owned.

Anyway, sorry if I upset anyone with my comments....just posting my experiences.

Dean

No, I reckon upset was not in play :D ....not really in your wheelhouse for making that happen.
Disbelief.....was in the implication of a predictable problem re DTs firing both barrels, other than mechanical issues, in normal use.

However.....you now explained that you grabbed for triggers with two fingers....I assume on one hand but, maybe not.
Why.....is indeed likely due to being a teenager.
But, I have faith that most teenagers don't find that particular trigger grab to be a wise move over...."occurrences".
Especially as regards hitting stuff.
Sounds like you were shooting an old round oil can in a ditch more than shooting flying but....I remain easily surprised by message board posts.

As an aside, I suspect some genetically-equipped folks...could...pull one trigger with a finger and the other with a toe.
I await their contribution to the hurdles of DTs on a two-row scattergun.....as before, one learns something every day, or should.

Make it a nice day.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:25 pm 
Crown Grade

Shooting...at a can...in a ditch? Oh, how VULGAR!

You could soil your tweed jacket and knickers that way!

-Securitization
Take your pick.

Always make an even number of mistakes. One may cancel out another.

"People who enjoy meetings should not be in charge of anything." --Thomas Sowell

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:35 pm 
Limited Edition

Multiflora wrote:
However.....you now explained that you grabbed for triggers with two fingers....I assume on one hand but, maybe not.

LOL! Yes, the same hand. :lol:

Multiflora wrote:
Sounds like you were shooting an old round oil can in a ditch more than shooting flying but....I remain easily surprised by message board posts.

Actually, yes, I did that while pheasant hunting...actually, whenever I shot the gun.
I seem to remember it wasn't something I did at first. It developed over time, although I'm sure not on purpose.
Like I said before, Teenager, and the excitement of the moment when the bird flushes.
I remember I popped one cock on a crossing shot.
It came up and around a hillside I was walking on, and it was about to duck into a small grove of Doug Firs, when I let go with both barrels....that's when I saw the dog just feet behind it. Man, I thought I shot the dog! I was beside myself in grief!...fortunately, I missed the dog and got the bird (pretty dam talented, eh? ;) ).
Anyway, yeah, I did it all the time.
Multiflora wrote:
Make it a nice day.

I will! You do so, a well. =)

Dean

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:23 pm 
Crown Grade

We all have shot our share of oil cans in a ditch. {hs#

After 40 years tho, I have faith you will be able to set aside the two-finger joy of youth.

Don't fret the DTs....don't court them as necessary either....a ST is less a need as it is a look.
The need for a left barrel first is more "I wish" than "I need" in the real world, especially with birddogs paws down.
It can help but....normally is so judged only because it was not used.
I kept track one pheasant season with an O/U with DTs.....I went to the back barrel 5 times, successful twice....and I'm not sure the back first was really needed each time, probably not.
A nice option at times but as most folks are not starving.....another bird better for the barrel will likely be forthcoming and, if not then, "oh, well."
Tight cover birds?....even lower odds.
jmho

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:32 pm 
Limited Edition

Yes, DT's aren't that bad. Just an old habit.
I'm constantly over at Connecticut Shotgun, drooling over the $500K pieces of art they feature.
...no, DT's don't bug me at all...however, I've rarely used a second shot to try to bring a bird down.
Am I that good? No, not in the least. It just seems that by the time I get my composure back and reach for that second barrel, the bird is either a dot in the distance or completely outta sight.
Why my gun is a single barrel.
Cheap as it is, it always hits what I aim at (when I'm not shooting over it).
The option of an alternate choke/load, at the ready for immediate use, has always been a tantalizing thought though, I must say.

Dean

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:19 pm 
Crown Grade

There is a learning curve associated with everything. How well you shoot whatever you shoot is usually the deciding factor. We are talking about fine points that only make a difference in a small percentage of cases. It is understandable that two triggers may be awkward at first to someone that has never fired a DT shotgun. Even half of my rifles have double triggers if you count front loaders. My only single trigger guns are a CZ .22 , a Ruger M 77 & A .54 cal. smoke pole, all of which I shoot very well. I have never shot anything other than a DT shotgun, except for one brief exception, since 3 rd. grade. That, to the best of my knowledge, has had no effect on my marksmanship with a rifle. I continue to pull shots out of my ying- yang. I'm either very lucky or I am doing something right! However, I have to admit it was many years before I learned to take full advantage of two triggers, & yes, there have been days I couldn't buy a hit! Quite a bit of shooting is mental, as all that have been at it for a long time know. A positive attitude seems to be essential to ones best shooting performance.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:24 pm 
Limited Edition

Very true, Geo.
...but hey, getting back on subject, what's up with 3" 16 ga, shells?
When did this come about?
I've never heard of a 3" 16 ga. (or 28, which baffles me even more!), now all of a sudden the countryside seems to be rife with them.
....confused....again.....

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:10 am 
Presentation Grade

DeanMK,

It happened a couple years ago and because most 16 owners have Classic American or Euro 16 gauge guns chambered for 2 1/2" shells, only the modern 16 owners could even use the shells. I see not good reason for the 3" 16 gauge shells. I doubt they are selling in any great quantity. Most of us Classic gun owners are grateful to RST & Poly for the 2 1/2" SpredR shells they are making. It's great that we do not have to roll our own all the time.

IMO there was need for a 3" 28 gauge shell or a 3" 20 gauge shell either, unless you only own one 20 gauge gun. Purchasing different good guns is half the fun of being a hunter. Choose wisely.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

NRA Life Member/NRA Instructor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:46 pm 
Limited Edition

Sounds like marketing driving the market, or attempting to.
Ok, thanks Dave...and yeah, I agree. If you need so much more shot that you max out your current gun, go to a bigger gauge.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:10 pm 
Crown Grade

Yes I agree, sounds like putting wings on a frog to me, not by any means insinuating a 16 ga. is a frog. I don't need another gun but since when did that ever matter? I am looking at buying a 16 ga. SXS & 2 3/4" is what the chambers will be!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:34 pm 
Limited Edition

"...like putting wings on a frog"
LOL! Yeah buddy, I gotta remember that one! =D

What gun are you thinking of getting? Sounds nice, so far.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:08 pm 
Crown Grade

Maybe another bobwhite or maybe a German SXS. It will be a 16 ga. & a DT, SXS!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:19 pm 
Limited Edition

Right on.
Remember, pictures or it never happened. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:43 pm 
Presentation Grade

geometric,

If you want a Huglu ( Parent Company of CZ) 16 gauge Ken Graft at Shooting Stars has a nice one for sale in his shop, beautiful Euro model gun with light engraving DT, Chrome Lined Barrels and Euro swivels. I almost purchased the gun myself, until he found a pre 13 L.C. Smith 20 gauge for me.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

NRA Life Member/NRA Instructor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:58 pm 
Crown Grade

Pine Creek/Dave wrote:
geometric,

If you want a Huglu ( Parent Company of CZ) 16 gauge Ken Graft at Shooting Stars has a nice one for sale in his shop, beautiful Euro model gun with light engraving DT, Chrome Lined Barrels and Euro swivels. I almost purchased the gun myself, until he found a pre 13 L.C. Smith 20 gauge for me.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Huglu in Turkey is not the parent company of CZ in the Czech Republic.

CZ-UB contracts with Huglu, and other Turk manufacturers, to produce shotguns.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:48 pm 
Limited Edition

Pine Creek/Dave wrote:
geometric,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Back in the late 90's, I spent a short time working in the operations division of a large global financial institution.
Turns out my boss was a shooter, too.
He was the first person to tell me about a Turkish gun, as he has just picked up a nice 12 ga. semi-auto that was called a Huglu.
He'd taken it out to the range a couple of times and was tickled pink by its performance.
He considered the gun, for what he paid for it, one of the best deals anyone could ever have.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next