ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cycling an Auto 5 magnum w/target loads
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:57 am 
Limited Edition

Picked up my first 12ga Auto 5 last winter, plan to shoot it for waterfowl. But I like to practice with a gun before season, especially a new to me gun. I've found if I set the rings for light loads per the manual it will reliably cycle Rem Nitro 27 9/8oz at 1235 as long as I keep the mag tube lubed. Problem is I don't want to buy those and then be tasked with picking them up in the weeds. I haven't tried many other 9/8 loads to check reliability because most of my stock of shells is 1oz loads. 1oz reliability not great with the magnum. I have enough gun club hulls to load and practice with, have chedd, win and Fed primers. My powder on hand is limited to red and green dot, extralite, unique and 20/28, maybe a little clays. I have to pick up wads yet, was going to go with claybuster clone of fig 8 cb8118.

After perusing load data it appears my current powders will only allow me to send them up to 1200fps except for Unique. I think my gun probably needs >1200fps to be reliable with 9/8oz. My questions are

1. What's a good powder to pick up a pound to work with components I have for >1200fps.

2. If I try Unique it looks like 23-25grains to get me where I want to be...will this fit with a 9/8oz wad? Doesn't seem likely.

Post subject: Re: Cycling an Auto 5 magnum w/target loads
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:34 am 
Presentation Grade

I have one press set to drop 23 grains Unique. Putting that in a 2-3/4 Remington hull with a DRRF8 wad and 1-1/8 oz of shot. It fits.

Alternate powder choice- might look at Herco.

ETA- You might look through the 1-1/4 oz recipes as they seem to be heavier hunting type loads. 1-1/8 oz recipes lean towards clay target velocities. I've taken some 1-1/4 oz recipes and dropped 1-1/8 oz of shot for pheasant hunting. You will find some powder charges are heavier for the 1-1/4 oz loadings.
Dropping less shot than a recipe calls for will reduce pressure.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:09 pm 
Tournament Grade

The Alliant book shows 21.5 /Green Dot for 1250fps with fig 8 wad. Another alternative is run [email protected]+ with Red or Green dot. The 1oz. loads of GD for 1310 are right at 9000PSI which gives you some room to go higher.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:59 am 
Presentation Grade

Being a long recoil action and a Magnum to boot, I think you'll need to go heavier than 1 oz at 1,300 fps.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... =emb_logo#

1 oz @ 1,300 puts out 12% less recoil than 1-1/8 @ 1,250.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:46 am 
Limited Edition

Thanks for the help gentlemen.
I just acquired a pound of win super handicap. I think that is going to get me where I want to be. Just need to pick up wads now.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:34 am 
Limited Edition

Just an update...loaded up 4 different recipes I found. All 4 were stone reliable in the magnum auto 5 with rings set for lighter loads (1 friction ring and 1 bronze brake). They were:

Gun club hulls once fired, Win 209, cb1118, 9/8oz Lawrence magnum, 18.7gr green dot (bushing 31) and 19.3gr green dot (b32). I dont recall what the claimed velocities were on these.

Gun club once fired, Cheddite 209, cb1118, 9/8oz Lawrence magnum, 20.6 Win super handicap (b22) (20.9gr was claimed 1255fps).

I think I will probably use the lower charge green dot load as it was noticeably less recoil. The WSH loads were "sporty" to say the least. Or I may load the WSH down to 1200 and see how those work. I totally dig doing this kind of stuff. It's fun!

Edit: I should have mentioned those WSH loads had a crimp slightly dished. The green dot were just right. I think putting the WSH load in a AAhs hull would probably fix the dish since they're a tad shorter. Or at least mine are.

Last edited by DooFighter on Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:54 pm 
Crown Grade

{hs# Well done!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:38 pm 
Utility Grade

I don't know how to attach a picture to this reply but I do know how to shoot off-the-shelf target loads (Walmart specials) through a Magnum Twelve. Been doing it for years. Order a recoil spring for the Light Twelve and swap it out. A stack of bushings and rings at the base will take up the slack caused by the shorter spring. Just don't forget to keep the magazine tube lubed with 10w30. If someone can instruct me how to upload a pic, I'll show you my hack.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:08 am 
Limited Edition

Thank you TMW

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:39 am 
Crown Grade

I haven't messed with a Browning, but the Remington model 11 is the same gun. I can shoot 3/4oz loads through it. But it isn't a magnum. What makes the gun a magnum? Just the spring ? Why can't you swamp in a regular spring instead of the light spring ? Then so many rings wouldn't be needed. I just bought a rusty one for $100 and a local gunsmithing store - Dick Williams - will reblue it for $145. The thing I'm questioning is that it was still quite hard to push the barrel in to change the rings for light loads. Even after I changed them around. You guys have got me wondering if a magnum spring was put in there.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:31 pm 
Utility Grade

bladesmith wrote:
... You guys have got me wondering if a magnum spring was put in there.

I'm not sure, but probably not. I only have (2) A5s, one Magnum Twelve (Miruku) and one 16 ga. (F.N.), so I can't compare apples to apples. The spring for the Magnum Twelve measures 10 1/4" long and is much thicker than the spring from the Light Twelve, which measures 9 1/4". Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:44 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

bladesmith wrote:
What makes the gun a magnum?

The 3 inch chambered barrel, 3 inch receiver, etc., etc.

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:00 am 
Crown Grade

bladesmith wrote:
I haven't messed with a Browning, but the Remington model 11 is the same gun. I can shoot 3/4oz loads through it. But it isn't a magnum. What makes the gun a magnum? Just the spring ? Why can't you swamp in a regular spring instead of the light spring ? Then so many rings wouldn't be needed. I just bought a rusty one for $100 and a local gunsmithing store - Dick Williams - will reblue it for $145. The thing I'm questioning is that it was still quite hard to push the barrel in to change the rings for light loads. Even after I changed them around. You guys have got me wondering if a magnum spring was put in there.

The Magnum has a 3" chamber and a double set of braking rings.

2 bronze rings, THREE steel beveled rings. (so that both the bronze rings can be squeezed from both sides).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:12 am 
Limited Edition

TMWilsoniv, tried it out yesterday, worked great on my 1oz reloads at around 1200-1220. I didn't have quite as much spacers at the bottom as what you have for preload on the spring, only 2 blacks and a bronze but it worked fine. No sign of battering at the rear, etc. I'll get a couple extra spacers soon.

bladesmith, measured up both springs I have. The magnum spring is original afaik on a early 90s gun and the light spring is new.
magnum 10 1/4" long, 22 coils of 0.014"
light 9 1/8" long, 18 coils of 0.012"

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:30 pm 
Crown Grade

Thanks for the info on spring length. It's up at Dick Williams right now. They seem pretty knowledgeable on older guns and have many parts for them. I left a box of my light reloads with them. We tried it at the club before I took it up there. Even without any washers or the brake, it still wouldn't cycle. Could be something is dragging. When I find out I'll let you guys know that the problem was.