Shotgun Forum banner

Bird guns?

53K views 189 replies 82 participants last post by  Pine Creek/Dave 
#1 ·
What's your favorite bird gun and what kind of hunting do you do with it?

#180 ·
DeanMK,

Painter is correct, the 555 is a Turkish made gun. They had some QC problems when they 1st came out, especially with the 12 gauge guns. I was lucky and got a 28 gauge gun that worked perfectly when I purchased, some people had a lot of problems with doubling however. It seems Savage/Stevens got the Turkish boys to clean up their act, and the guns are working fine now. If you purchase a 555 you definitely want the newer made gun. The 555 Enhanced is a nice gun also with no problems that I know of, built on a steel frame. I like my 555 for gun dog training, the 28 gauge works fine and I am definitely not scared to get it scratched up while working with the dogs.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

#181 ·
Dam Dave, how many guns do you own? I have so many SXS shotguns it gives me a complex trying to figure which one I want to shoot & you have me beat by a mile! It must be great owning all those nice guns. You must be single! I would probably have more if I didn't have 5 boats but I'm keeping my wife as long as she will put up with me. I asked her one time why she put up with me & she said, "I have a habit of picking up strays."

#183 ·
If you are ever in the market for doubles, the Olathe Gun Shop, Olathe, KS had over two thousand in the showroom: everything from cased English best guns all the way down to beaters. The place is right next door to Simmons.

#186 ·
casonet said:
If you are ever in the market for doubles, the Olathe Gun Shop, Olathe, KS had over two thousand in the showroom: everything from cased English best guns all the way down to beaters. The place is right next door to Simmons.
That's where my LC Smith came from.

#188 ·
geometric,

I do own a few Classic American & German Best double guns, most of which have been passed down to me thru our family. A few I have purchased over the years and others that had been stolen from my Great Grandfathers home, I have recovered with the help of the internet and some friends who also collect L.C. Smith guns.

I have what I consider a small collection of fine guns and a few modern guns also.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

#190 ·
geometric,

No offense taken, just adding to the conversation. Thanks for the complement on my guns.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

1901 L.C. Smith #5 Gun, the stuff dreams are made of.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.