ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Super X One Magazine Article
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:17 am 
Tournament Grade

I'm sure many have read this article before, but it is a good source of info.

Not sure how long the link will work, but I found it while I was searching for a Super X one to buy.

https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/read/ ... ooting-usa

Post subject: Re: Super X One Magazine Article
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:16 pm 
Tournament Grade

Neat little summary of the gun. Thanks for sharing. Love my SX1! Think I’ll shoot skeet with it tonight in honor of your post. :D

P.S. Here is some good old Super X One propaganda, courtesy of Randy’s YouTube channel.

"I had rather be shut up in a very modest cottage with my books, my family and a few old friends, and letting the world roll on as it liked, than to occupy the most splendid post which any human power can give."Thomas Jefferson, 1788

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:24 pm 
Tournament Grade

ThrowAway wrote:
Neat little summary of the gun. Thanks for sharing. Love my SX1! Think I’ll shoot skeet with it tonight in honor of your post. :D

P.S. Here is some good old Super X One propaganda, courtesy of Randy’s YouTube channel.

Yes, I watched that video too.

Is that what the world was like in the 70's? That was before my time lol.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:45 pm 
Limited Edition

Yep, they managed to design some pretty good stuff before computers came along. :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:32 pm 
Tournament Grade

Yes, they certainly did.

"I had rather be shut up in a very modest cottage with my books, my family and a few old friends, and letting the world roll on as it liked, than to occupy the most splendid post which any human power can give."Thomas Jefferson, 1788

Last edited by ThrowAway on Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:46 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I’ve given quite a few copies of that article away in the past several years. Steve Fisher did a nice job writing it.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:23 am 
Tournament Grade

toptechX6 wrote:
Yep, they managed to design some pretty good stuff before computers came along. :)

Being an engineer by trade, just a quick summary of how I think things changed by having computers and CAD vs earlier designs being drafted by hand.

Computers let you do insane amount of calculations that will tell you exactly what you need as far as a design yielding. Then you can apply a safety margin of roughly 1.7x the requirement (depends on the industry and what you are designing)

Drafting by hand, you had calculations, you knew basically what you needed as far as yield, but you overbuilt it even more to avoid any miscalculations.

Just a theory I've held for a while....

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:16 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If you google and find the film story on the design and launch of the Super-X One shotgun you will see that tape driven primitive computers were used to drive milling and stock shaping machines for the SX1. So they were far from hand made and much more computer made.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:42 pm 
Diamond Grade

Nice link! Thanks for sharing!

"shoot what ya like, like what ya shoot".....it's that simple!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:04 pm 
Tournament Grade

I bought my SX1 the first year of production. 30"/full/rib field model. I don't shoot it anywhere near as much as the author of that article. In fact I haven't shot it much over the last 35 years. I did shoot a lot of ducks back in the day. My hunting buddy and I used to shoot 100 ducks each - every year. Lot's of banging then.

The author said that most of the SX1's shot to point of aim. My Benelli shoots nearly a foot high at 40 yards. To cover their arses Benellin says it's not a bug, it's a feature! LOL I don't shoot the benelli at all for trap anymore. I don't need a gun for 'rising ducks'. I think that's phooy.

I currently shoot an old nickle steel M12 with a 28"/mod bbl. No rib - nothing fancy. It's just a good, reliable, cannon. But, it does kick for an old man. My SX1 is heavy - north of 8.5lbs. And it too kicks like a mule. But the nearly 50yo recoil pad is like a black brick on the butt. I may put a Limb Saver pad on it and see how I like it then. Like all of my guns, except my Benelli, I know I'll like hitting what I shoot at and not having to adjust for a built in error factor.

Oh - almost forgot... I have a 28"/Mod/Rib bbl for the SX1 too. I'll probably put it on for 16 yard targets. This old man needs the advantage.

I won't get into the M12/SX1 vs the 870/1100 discussion. Those Remington's have proved their worth for a long, long, time. As have the 700s and (my favorites) 788s. All of them are fine products.