ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Looking for a Super X One
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:20 am 
Presentation Grade

cclark31 wrote:
What does everyone do for the charging handle? Buy a spare?

Do you modify the one you have?

Jordan,

I addressed this issue in the comments in the article at the bottom of this "Winchester"
page.
The title is Winchester Super X 1 improvements. Author: KS25-06.

CT

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:11 pm 
Tournament Grade

searun wrote:
cclark31 wrote:
What does everyone do for the charging handle? Buy a spare?

Do you modify the one you have?

Jordan,

I addressed this issue in the comments in the article at the bottom of this "Winchester"
page.
The title is Winchester Super X 1 improvements. Author: KS25-06.

CT

"KS,

The bolt handle has a half moon shape cut out on the backside edge of the handle that the retaining piston goes into. Sometimes the handle can pop out when cycling.
I take and grind a 90 degree shoulder onto the inboard side of that cutout. Do a little at a time until you get the retainment you want. I do mine so that I need to wrap a piece of leather around the handle and grab it with a pair of vise grips in order to remove it.

CT"

Found it... Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:00 pm 
Limited Edition

cclark31,
Here's some info on SX-1 barrel internals in this link. There are more links in that link.

https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=413900

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:09 am 
Tournament Grade

sx1 fan wrote:
cclark31,
Here's some info on SX-1 barrel internals in this link. There are more links in that link.

https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=413900

Thanks for the link. Interesting read.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:40 pm 
Tournament Grade

Well I finally picked it up from the FFL today.

Man what a awesome gun. It mounts and swings great. Balanced well too it seems. Previous owner had a lead slug cast and it is in the butt stock. Length of pull seems great too.

If it points anything like my model 12, it should be deadly. I field stripped it and did a mild cleaning. It seemed overdue. I replaced the wrights buffer that was in it. Old one seemed to be ok, but figured it is cheap insurance. I also installed a new o ring.

I've got a new recoil spring on the way I'll most likely replace as well.

I can't to try it out this weekend!

Last edited by cclark31 on Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:56 am 
Tournament Grade

See if I can get some pictures to work. The wood is beatiful!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:59 am 
Tournament Grade

More pictures.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:36 am 
Crown Grade

Enjoy!!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:17 pm 
Tournament Grade

Got to go to five stand today.

Gun performed beautifully. Points awesome. LOP is great. Very soft shooting.

I don't think I could have picked a better target gun.

Got compliments on the gun, and the IM barrel really hits those targets. Never felt like I was over choked either.

I participated in a friendly round and whooped those beretta butts!

Felt good!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:06 am 
Tournament Grade

Couple more pictures of my gun. Man still love this thing. It is an awesome target gun!

Love the skeet stock with the IM trap barrel. I'm hitting crossing targets with relative ease when I do my part.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:07 am 
Tournament Grade

And another one just for good measure.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:09 pm 
Crown Grade

Go for it!! They do point well and are exceptionally soft shooting. Be sure to clean the gunk off the magazine tube tube soon after shooting. It is harder to remove once it dries.

Post subject: Looking for a Super X One
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:32 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Thats a beautiful gun. I own three. It was bad timing when they were introduced back in the 1970s. Remington owned the skeet shooter market (including ammo) and weren't about to give Winchester an inch. And it was the beginning of the move to O/U guns. The gun had a few flaws that were easily fixed that didn't seem to help it get off of the launching pad. For target games, it is a wonderful gun, but it is a pig in the field with its weight, but to be fair, 1100s and 870s were also weighty. It was the time when aluminum receivers began to appear on field guns and they never looked back.

I shoot skeet all day with mine and never experience recoil fatigue. Its just that soft a shooter. Its a good trap gun too, but you need a shell catcher. Just be sure to give it a good cleaning when you done shooting, especially the mag tube.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

Last edited by casonet on Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:36 pm 
Tournament Grade

I did clean my mag tube last night. I am trying to wipe it off with CLP when I get done with it at the range.

My mag tube is shiny, has it been coated or possibly replaced with a stainless one?

It does have some small pits on it now, I am debating trying to get some fine steel or brass wool and polish it off, any suggestions as the best way to do that?

Post subject: Looking for a Super X One
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:41 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Take it off of the frame and reverse it. Double the life. I understand that there are stainless as well as nickel plated mag tubes out there. I have a nickel one

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:28 pm 

casonet wrote:
Take it off of the frame and reverse it. Double the life. I understand that there are stainless as well as nickel plated mag tubes out there. I have a nickel one

You should heat the frame to weaken the Loctite on that mag tube..

Let us endeavor so to live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
Mark Twain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:01 am 
Tournament Grade

Curly N wrote:
casonet wrote:

You should heat the frame to weaken the Loctite on that mag tube..

I've already had the mag tube out and cleaned it some. Didn't have any loctite on it, should I add some? Seems to be functioning fine. I think I'll leave it installed the way it is and keep cleaning it, until it doesn't want to function or something, then I can turn it 180 degrees.

This is a little off topic of Super X 1's, but what is everyone's favorite bore scrubber? Something I can use on the mag tube and in the barrel?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:45 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I like Birchwood Casey and Hoppe’s #9. There are many good products out there

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:47 am 
Tournament Grade

Also, my mid bead took a field trip... Guess it got loose during a shooting session.

Anyone have any idea what the stock threads and size were from Winchester?

It doesn't seem to effect my shooting, but I would like to have to so I can put something in those threads, with a small dab of loctite this time around.....

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:44 am 
Presentation Grade

Jordon,

The competition guns came from the factory with chrome plated mag tubes. They were also installed with blue Locktite. If yours is not Locktited it might have been replaced or reversed at one time. I recommend that you Locktite it.
If it is a stainless tube they have a satin sheen rather than the bright chrome. A magnet will confirm what you have.
The Winchester sights are 3/56 threads. The mid bead should be available but usually need a pin vise to install them.
On my SX-1 guns I wipe a very thin film of CLP on all the gas parts before shooting and that makes clean up much easier.

CT

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next