ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Semi-autos, do lefties need LH models?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:08 am 
Crown Grade

A shell catcher on a RH gun shooting left handed is distracting.

I’m 66 and just got my first LH auto, I like it, never bothered me but it does seem better this way.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:06 pm 
Utility Grade

I had a Browning A5 startle me with the spent shell years ago. I was a teenager at the time and it put me off semi auto shotguns. I avoided them but as I get into my old age especially after shoulder surgery, I started looking for a lower recoil. I have several Break action shotguns guns a few semi auto rifles, a LH bolt action rifle but only 1 pump.
It occurred to me that gas and debris from my Mossberg is not a problem, it never was with Wingmasters either. I looked at getting an 1100 in 20 ga but I couldn’t justify the $1500 plus up on the price over a RH model. I am currently waiting for a RH standard 1100 to get to my local shop.

Once I get a chance to shoot it a bit, I’ll report further but I am optimistic. Sometimes RH equipment actually works better for me. I have a Penn Senator LH and it is harder for me to use than my right handed reels.

Last edited by Ti317 on Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:14 pm 
Tournament Grade

I am right handed, but I shoot long guns left handed. I shot right handed from age 6 to 9, then had to switch because my eye dominance flipped. I have shot 56 years left handed and 53 of that with pumps. I have never had a problem with empties crossing my eyesight. In fact, being right handed reloading the gun feels better with a right hand action. I got a LH Rem 870 Wingmaster in the '70s and loved the gun, but reloading was like riding a bike backwards. I ended up holding it by the pistol grip with my left hand and rolling it over to load with my right hand. I recently bought my first ever semiautomatic and I bought a RH model and it is as natural as shooting my RH pumps. I have SxS's and O/U's that have RH breach levers so I have to push hard with my left thumb but I make it work. One day I may buy a LH O/U.

Do what works for you. If I were left handed, I probably would want a LH action.

JB

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:50 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I'm a lefty. Been shooting right-handed pump and semi shotguns since I was old enough to pick one up. I demo'd a true LH Fabarm semi -- LOVED the stock cast and palm-swell, but couldn't load the thing worth sour owl LOL!

The RH ejection on most semis does not bother me, but I did get a tiny piece of shell hull in my shooting eye once from my 391. It was irritating enough I needed to stop shooting and have my daughter with xray vision and tweezer-like fingernails to snag it out for me. My solution was buying new full-wrap shooting glasses with coverage across the nose-bridge where the old pair let the tiny piece of hull get through. Not had an issue since.

NSCA #617422

When the mind is right, the body will find a way...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:41 am 
Utility Grade

My update as a Lefty shooting my first semiauto shotgun in decades.
I acquired a heavy model 1100 in 20ga and have put a few boxes through it. Not once did the elected shells even enter my field of vision.
My line of sight is over the top of the rib and the shells seem to go straight out of the port if not slightly forward. My right eye serves as an aperture for light only, giving me depth of field when I shoot and it did not register the shells going out of the port.
The only issues I had were the safety and being “touched” on the cheek by the stock. I have deliberately sought out tang safeties or inside the trigger guard safeties so this one is difficult for me. My solution will be to use the gun as a 2 shot weapon in the field leaving the chamber empty until shooting opportunities present themselves. This may change.
As for the slight touch on the cheek, I was indoors and wearing muffs over plugs. The muffs affected my ability to cheek down on the gun.
Next week when I go to my home base, I will be able take it outdoors and shoot with plugs only.

So far the $1200 different for a lefty gun doesn’t seem worth it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:11 am 
Crown Grade

Easy job switching the safeties on an 1100.

If you look long enough you can find ear muffs that don’t hit the stock. I use 3M Peltor 105.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:15 pm 
Limited Edition

No.

The first question to ask is whether the stock is neutral - is it directly in line with the bore axis. Particularly important on double guns as shims on semi autos and pumps these days usually address the issue. Cast off means the butt is to the left of the bore axis looking from breech to muzzle; cast on means to the right. Lefties want at least neutral.

The second question is the drop at the comb measured 1/2 way between the butt and the trigger, sometimes called drop at the face. Again, more a double gun issue as shims on modern semi autos and pumps can usually address it. The drop indexes your eyeball to serve as the rear sight on a shotgun. 1/4" makes a big difference. That's why you should mount a shotgun to your cheek before you pull back to contact your shoulder. With the right drop you'll see all off the front bead and no rib.

The third question is if the safety isn't on the tang, is it easily reversible.

My 63 years of experience as a left master eye, left-handed shooter implores you to immediately dismiss any gun that doesn't meet these three criteria, regardless of brand reputation, value, glowing reviews, or how pretty it is. You'll save yourself a lot of money and dissatisfaction.

The value of a left handed gun is a cast on stock, and maybe palm swell, in a double gun and bolt operation in a semi auto. And they are joys, no doubt about it. But a neutral stock at a minimum, the right drop, and a reversible safety are essential.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:41 am 
Tournament Grade

Left handed and have always shot right handed guns with no problem. Favorite shotguns are old Browning auto fives. I do wear safety glasses

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:48 am 
Presentation Grade

myles wrote:
No.

The first question to ask is whether the stock is neutral - is it directly in line with the bore axis. Particularly important on double guns as shims on semi autos and pumps these days usually address the issue. Cast off means the butt is to the left of the bore axis looking from breech to muzzle; cast on means to the right. Lefties want at least neutral.

The second question is the drop at the comb measured 1/2 way between the butt and the trigger, sometimes called drop at the face. Again, more a double gun issue as shims on modern semi autos and pumps can usually address it. The drop indexes your eyeball to serve as the rear sight on a shotgun. 1/4" makes a big difference. That's why you should mount a shotgun to your cheek before you pull back to contact your shoulder. With the right drop you'll see all off the front bead and no rib.

The third question is if the safety isn't on the tang, is it easily reversible.

My 63 years of experience as a left master eye, left-handed shooter implores you to immediately dismiss any gun that doesn't meet these three criteria, regardless of brand reputation, value, glowing reviews, or how pretty it is. You'll save yourself a lot of money and dissatisfaction.

The value of a left handed gun is a cast on stock, and maybe palm swell, in a double gun and bolt operation in a semi auto. And they are joys, no doubt about it. But a neutral stock at a minimum, the right drop, and a reversible safety are essential.

I just noticed your error. You have cast off and on reversed.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:13 pm 
Utility Grade

I'm left hand and left eye dominant. Shoot left handed, bat right handed, golf right handed. Always have shot RH guns, or BPS. Just got a Beretta a400 Xtreme plus, wow, where has it been. It is now fun to really not be concerned about powder and empties. Remember qualifying with M-16 in the military and got a piece of hot brass down the collar, jumped around squeezing off about 3 rounds on the firing line. Not pleasant.....love my LH shotgun.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:19 pm 
Presentation Grade

Redhaze, Ain’t it great?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:22 pm 
Utility Grade

Yes!